Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#643976 - 06/11/03 12:48 PM Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a S/C, so I need to use premium. Just wondering if anyone has seen any research out there comparing the quality differences among gas brands?

I ask this because I have some friends who swear that Sheetz brand gas is watered down. My wife is always pushing me to purchase the cheapest gas, regardless of where it comes from. I don't want to muck up my Xterra just to save a few pennies.

Do I have an argument, or should I just accept the fact that all gas is the same? I can't imagine it would be. I personally like Sunoco 94 Octane.

-dp [Smoking]

#643977 - 06/11/03 01:22 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
I run Sams Club gas an occasionally Shell as well.. while Shell supposedly has "higher mpg" with their gas, I've seen no difference between them. Sams's is cheaper by 5 cents or so ($1.51 Gallon of 93 Octance here), but their pumps are always crowded and they don't have wash buckets or towels like Shell does.. Plus you have to get out two cards and be a member.

The only way I get more to a tank with Shell, is due to a couple of their pumps overfilling the tank. smile

#643978 - 06/11/03 01:23 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Sheetz *I THOUGHT* was a name brand gas, I just can't remember which one (shell maybe????). Crown usually has cheap but crappy gas, but I think everyone knows that. They use an ethanol blend or something and it says so on the pumps. Would it be noticable in your X, I don't know.

Personally, I like Sunoco's gas too. It's probably just a mental thing, but I swear all of my vehicles have run a little better with Sunoco in the tank. Can I prove it? No.

I think in the end tho, it all boils down to use whatever works best in your vehicle. You'll get a gazillion different opinions on why Shell, Exxon, Mobil, Texaco, Amaco, etc is better than the other. Usually these claims are backed up by "my buddy who is a tech at Joe's Garage says to only use [insert any gas here] because they use this patented refining process that yadda yadda yadda......" Which is usually complete b.s. anyway.

Just use what works and dump a can of BG 44K in every now and then.

#643979 - 06/11/03 10:48 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Tagawichin Offline

Loc: Central PA
Sams Club is the very best I have found for quality and price. The first time I filled up with sams club gas, I could feel the difference in preformance. It was like night and day, and well worth the membership fees.

Flying J truck stop is my next choice(get the member card and save a penny). I have not had a problem with most of the big name gas stations other than they are pricey.

I avoid if at all possible the "discount" gas stations. Even with the 94 octain my truck felt sluggish. With the supercharger requiring higher octain fuel you can feel when they are not selling good gass.

Not all fuel is created equal so it will be a mater of trial and error to see what works well on your area. Also the gas formula is changed depending on the season. So is may be worth while checking other stations again in winter or summer.

Herbert Spencer, 1820-1903

#643980 - 08/11/03 01:58 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
cygnus67 Offline

Loc: Southern NJ
I live a few miles from the Valero refinery here in South Jersey. I think most people would be amazed at the variety of tanker trucks coming and going from that place. Most every major brand as well as those who just sells gas (Wawa, BJ's, etc.) seems to be represented. Granted, I know absolutely nothing about refining gasoline but I'm still hard-pressed to believe that one refinery can process gas a dozen different ways. I personally think (did I mention I know absolutely nothing about refining gasoline) that most of the fuel related problems that people have are due to the gas stations themselves. Considering that it is a giant effort for some stations to dump their trashcans or actually fill the windshield wash bucket - it makes you wonder what their philosophy about pump /tank maintenance is like. [Freak]

#643981 - 08/11/03 07:14 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gas is gas. In most towns the gas at different brand stations come from the same refinery. The difference in the brands is the additives that are added after refining buy the station. Being in Denver we have 85, 87 & 91. I put the 85 in my 2002 SC will driving in town because I see no difference in town. When I plan on 4x4ing on the week end I will drive the tank to near empty before switching to 91, it makes a big difference. We also have 10% ethenol in our gas so that may be why I don't see a diffence in town. I actually get better gas milage with the 85 when traveling x-country.

#643982 - 16/11/03 06:12 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
blizzard Offline

Loc: Yarnell, AZ.
It's all crap anymore, at least out west.
I have to run octane boost in my tubocharged car now 'cause all we can get is 91 octane "premium".
All the trucks from ALL the different brands fill up at the same farm.

#643983 - 16/11/03 09:08 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
OnlyOneDR Offline

I used to consistently get bad gas mileage on BP gasoline, so I do not buy it anymore.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#643984 - 16/11/03 08:19 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
ROKN_X Offline

This is probably a dumb question, but how do we know that we are really getting Premium gas when we pay for it? Are gas stations periodically inspected to make sure they are really giving you the right gas?

#643985 - 16/11/03 09:41 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
snoboardinX Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, Co
I use premium from the connoco down the street. Do You Know Why I use CONNOCO? Because they don't import oil from those RAGHEADS in the Middle East.

WHICH OIL COMPANIES IMPORT MIDDLE EAST OIL?
Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time we fill-up the
car gas tank, money is sent to people who are trying to kill me,
my family, and my friends. It turns out that some oil companies import a lot
of Middle Eastern oil and others do not import any. It might be
interesting for Americans to know which oil companies are the best to
buy their gas from.

Here is the list:
Top 4 companies that import Middle Eastern oil
(for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).
By the way, 86% of all Middle Eastern oil comes from Saudi Arabia
and Iraq.

Shell 205,742,000 barrels of oil
Chevron/Texaco 144,332,000
Exxon/Mobil 130,082,000
Marathon 117,740,000

If you do the math at $30/barrell, these imports amount to about $18
Billion. That's a lot of money.

Here are some large companies that do not import much Middle Eastern
oil:

· Citgo 0 barrels of oil
· Sunoco 0
· Conoco 0
· Sinclair 0
· Phillips 0
· BP Amoco 62,231,000
All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented. Refineries located in the U.S. are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. They report on a monthly basis.
Keep this list in your car; share it with friends.

Stop paying for terrorism!

#643986 - 16/11/03 10:49 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by MHC:
I put the 85 in my 2002 SC will driving in town because I see no difference in town.
That does void your warranty though.

#643987 - 17/11/03 05:48 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
ROKN_X Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
I worked for a local refinery a couple of summers in college, where they loaded river barges with fuel and shipped them down river. Several of the major brands were customers of ours, since I got to see a lot of the manifests for the boats before they left out with the barges.

As for the regular vs. premium - do we know we're getting anything different? Octane ratings are regulated and inspected just as the accuracy of the pumps are. And, yes, from loading barges, I can tell you that they definitely had different grades stored and loaded separately.
Thanks! I figured there must be some sort of inspection, but figured I'd ask anyways. :rolleyes:

#643988 - 21/11/03 10:16 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In certain states, stations don't have to purchase from their "namesakes".

So when you go to Shell, you aren't necessarily getting gas from a Shell refinery.

Therefore, purchase the cheapest stuff that'll make your truck run properly.

#643989 - 25/11/03 08:42 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. Run the cheapest gas that will make your car/truck run without knocking.

Engine knock is what the octane ratings are all about.

The only gas I avoid is cheap gas that is an ethanol blend.

I select my gas based on the convenience of the station and the amenities they provide.
I go to my local Texaco because they provide free air and water, the place is always clean, it is easy to drive in and out and is owned by an American.

The other station I use is the complete opposite but it is very close to work and on my way home.

#643990 - 25/11/03 09:12 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
I used to consistently get bad gas mileage on BP gasoline, so I do not buy it anymore.
Interesting. Amoco is the only gasoline brand that I've ever read is good gas - and the only reason the Amoco brand is still around - the stations are all switching to BP, but they will all carry Amoco branded gas.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#643991 - 27/11/03 04:18 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
XTONKA Offline

Loc: Kailua Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by MHC:
[b]I put the 85 in my 2002 SC will driving in town because I see no difference in town.
That does void your warranty though.[/b]
I always run premium in my 03 S/C but on the filler door it says "PREMIUM FUEL RECCOMENDED FOR BEST PERFORMANCE" If anybody knows for sure its you Ian but I can't seem to find in the warranty section that using less than premium fuel voids warranty. At very least the dealer must prove that using the cheap gas did actually do damage before they can void warranty claims. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm curious. As for type of gas, I always buy from Chevron or at very least from a station that buys from Cheveron Hawaii Refinery. Our only other choice is from Tesoro Petroleum Refinery or Aloha Gas who imports finished product from their cheapest source. I saw some sort of burn test using Ceveron Gas and Tesoro Gas and the Cheveron burned more evenly and much cleaner that the others.

Chaney

#643992 - 29/11/03 03:19 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by snoboardinX:
I use premium from the connoco down the street. Do You Know Why I use CONNOCO? Because they don't import oil from those RAGHEADS in the Middle East.

buy their gas from.

Here is the list:
and Iraq.

Exxon/Mobil 130,082,000
Marathon 117,740,000

oil:

· Citgo 0 barrels of oil
· Sunoco 0
· Conoco 0
· Sinclair 0
· Phillips 0
· BP Amoco 62,231,000
All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented. Refineries located in the U.S. are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. They report on a monthly basis.

Stop spreading misinformation. [ThumbsDown]

#643993 - 30/11/03 11:50 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! Are you serious? This is surely a joke right? Somehow you figure that since a few fringe elements hate Americans, we should banish anyone who shares the same ethnic background?

I guess in that same vein we hate anyone with a German background because that damn Hitler mofo killed so many people. Don't buy BMWs! You're supporting Hitler's children!

Dude man, get a clue.

Quote:

buy their gas from.

Here is the list:
and Iraq.

Exxon/Mobil 130,082,000
Marathon 117,740,000

oil:

· Citgo 0 barrels of oil
· Sunoco 0
· Conoco 0
· Sinclair 0
· Phillips 0
· BP Amoco 62,231,000

#643994 - 01/12/03 04:42 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While your warrenty may be voided and their might be a slight, slight performance decrease, using lower octane fuel will not hurt your engine unless you can feel it knocking.

My uncle is a chemical engineer and drives 300ZX he has been using plus (91 octane) for many years without a problem.

#643995 - 01/12/03 01:51 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

this question maybe considered stupid, but i have never gotten an answer...

is there a HP gain if i put higher octain in my XE V6. what are the benafits? and what are the downsides?

thank you

conor

#643996 - 01/12/03 02:09 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
ayellowone Offline

Loc: PA
You will not see any performance gains using premium fuel. Octane doesn't make HP. Your vehicle requires a certain amount of octane to run properly (in your case 87). If you are using 87 octane fuel and you hear engine knock then you would most likely benefit from higher octane fuel. I have used 89 octane in my SC Xterra and didn't hear any knock. I am wondering if I would begin to hear knock if I tried 87 octane. The engine is tuned so rich (for safety) that I'm sure people could get away with running 87 in a SC Xterra.

#643997 - 01/12/03 04:39 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think thats incorrect to say because its rich you can run lower octane. If the fuel is ignititing before spark aka knocking it doesn't matter how much fuel is injected ig the richness...

#643998 - 02/12/03 07:09 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember watching something on Discovery or some other simular channel about most of the gasoline is sent up through a major pipeline through the country. Different grades are pushed at different times resulting in some mixing between the two grades, and that was sold off for industial use. The bottom line is almost all the brands come from the same place. Only advice I have been told is not to get gas at a station where the tanker is or just unloaded, because when they dump the load in the tanks any particulate matter that had settled out would get mixed back in... but then again it looks as though there are filters on each of the hoses at the pumps, so take it with a grain of salt.

#643999 - 03/12/03 09:12 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're right in stating that the base stock is typically the same.

Differences are in the additive packages. However, in a lot of states, franchise stations don't have to buy from their namesakes.

What's that mean? When you go to Chevron, you might actually be getting gas from Shell. Or when you go to Cheep-Gas-4-U, you might be getting Shell. Or worse yet, when you go to Shell, you might be getting cheep-gas-4-u.

Buy the cheapest that'll keep your vehicle from knocking and pinging. If it makes you feel better buying what you think is Shell gas, then go for it!

#644000 - 03/12/03 10:05 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 97incali:
You're right in stating that the base stock is typically the same.

Differences are in the additive packages. However, in a lot of states, franchise stations don't have to buy from their namesakes.

What's that mean? When you go to Chevron, you might actually be getting gas from Shell. Or when you go to Cheep-Gas-4-U, you might be getting Shell. Or worse yet, when you go to Shell, you might be getting cheep-gas-4-u.

Buy the cheapest that'll keep your vehicle from knocking and pinging. If it makes you feel better buying what you think is Shell gas, then go for it!
Well stated and accurate. [ThumbsUp]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal