Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#644001 - 03/12/03 10:08 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone have any personal experience (I see a couple vague replies above this one) of increased mpg of 87 vs. a higher octane?

I have a 2003 V-6 4x4 XE. I do mostly city driving, and make several round trips between VA and NY each year (425 miles each way). I am going to be taking off the gear basket and wind deflector (sorry for lack of a technical term) the next time I make the long trip. Should I also opt for a higher octane (I have always used 87 so far)?

I think that I was getting between 16-17 mpg on my way back after Thanksgiving.

#644002 - 03/12/03 10:34 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
oface Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I use Shell V-Power 94 Octane. Only available in select markets i.e. New Orleans, LA

I have also used a 1:10 110 Octane racing fuel mixture which seems to work very well.

#644003 - 03/12/03 10:50 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
csebes Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ, USA
This summer I was getting really bad pinging in my 2000 SE with 80K miles. Sounded like someone was dropping pellets on my hood! I had to run with premium to avoid the pings, especially when towing. Upon searching the forum, I read that excessive preignition might be caused by a timing problem. I had the timing fixed at STS and I can run with the regular gas again. No knocking or pinging at all. I have yet to try the regular gas when towing.

Peace!
Sebes
160K+ miles

#644004 - 03/12/03 07:36 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, the wife reminded me about the additives part after I made the post. I am only on the second fill for my new X, so I tried the 87 octane tonight... will have to see how it goes.

#644005 - 05/12/03 11:12 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Rob01 Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I usually use Citgo but I've noticed recently that they started putting 10% ethenol in thier gas. Is this a new fed law or maybe state? Or are they just saving a buck. The 10% won't hurt the engine will it?

#644006 - 05/12/03 01:18 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe it's used as an oxygenate. Ethanol is more expensive than straight petrol, so it definitely isn't a cost cutting measure.

#644007 - 25/12/03 09:11 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my daily driver I run whatever is cheapest at the time, but I had a built VW bug that had to have premium. The only brands it would run on was Amoco and Chevron, any other brand and it pinged like mad. When I'm driving something that runs the ragged edge of detonation for power sakes (advance it 'til it knocks and back it off 2 degrees) THEN I get VERY picky about gas.

Justin

#644008 - 27/12/03 06:55 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
OnlyOneDR Offline

Just had a "Good" gas experience on my work truck ('02 F-150, yes I know it's a POS). I put Diamond Shamrock in it all the time (also known as Valero), but this last tank I filled up at a Shell (who has been advertising with that "better mileage" campaign).

Amazingly, I went 50 more miles on that tank than average of gas and my driving routine was unchanged. I went the farthest I have ever gone on a tank by 25 miles.

I am not vouching for their claims, just astounded that the truck pulled a tank that good.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#644009 - 30/12/03 01:19 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With re; to types of gas, the name brand may not mean much, i.e. Exxon v.s. Hess v.s. Sams Club, while each company i.e. Exxon has its own refinery and containment systems but generally all companys will buy gas on the spot market, and during a swing of either high or low prices or if reserves are low will buy gas off the "rail" meaning an Exxon truck could very well be filled with exactly the same gas as a Gulf truck.

#644010 - 31/12/03 03:49 PM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
Heepspo Offline

Loc: Seattle
Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
this question maybe considered stupid, but i have never gotten an answer...

is there a HP gain if i put higher octain in my XE V6. what are the benafits? and what are the downsides?

thank you

conor
The lowest octane you can go without pinging will provide the "best" performance and burn the cleanest, but you won't feel it.

Also, Chevron gasoline is used for emission and MPG testing by American (not sure about foreign)car companies due to how clean it burns and the improved MPG. This is fact. I sort of doubted that fact for a while so me and three of my friends compared different gasolines (QUALITY gasolines, not Citgo, AM/PM or any convenience store cheap crap) from Texaco, Chevron and BP. We averaged a little over 40 MPG per tank with Chevron. So put THAT in your cake and bake it! laugh

Also #2 laugh Mercedes Benz sells fuel additives/cleaners for their vehicles that are sold with the Mercedes name and are actually Chevron fuel additives. BMW recommends only Chevron fuel additives, too.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... [Uh Oh !]

You people can buy all the gas you want from whoever you want but I choose to put the best in my vehicles - CHEVRON!! [ThumbsUp]

#644011 - 15/01/04 07:52 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
I read this thread yesterday before leaving work. When I left the office my low fuel light came on. I noticed I was much farther along then normal on how far I had gone. I was at about 260 miles when the light came on. I'm usually at 230. So I'm thinking this may be a record tank for me. I head on home. I got to 280 when I stopped to fill up. I decided to fill up at the shell station just off the highway. I don't usually use this station. (7-11 or wal-mart is the norm). I was filling up thinking that this is actually where I filled the last tank up. So I get home and check my online bank for when/where I filled up last. It was the shell station. So there does seem to be some truth to the better gas milege at least in my case. They also have a gas card with 5% off your gas. I had the wife fill up also to check her mileage. I think I'm sold on shell.

#644012 - 15/01/04 09:35 AM Re: Comparing Gas Brands (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)?
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I have rarely ever given two-shits of a second thought as to what brand of gas I am using. I stick with the main brands only because the obscure brands are hard to find around here.

Been using (getting used by) Chevron for the last couple months, cause it's right across the street, and the price is the same as everywhere else in town. High as hell.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal