Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#645778 - 30/01/04 06:24 AM Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would someone please tell me the mose efficient and effective method of disabling whatever process shuts off my fuel supply at 95 MPH? I am not Speed Racer, but I am totally incensed by the artificially limited speed of my recently purchased 2001 Xterra. I don't care about factory warranty, etc. etc. and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

It just irks me that some schmuck in a suit decided I should not be able to go faster than 95 mph.

Educate me, please! I want the ability to crack my engine block if I feel like it.

#645779 - 30/01/04 06:30 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Oh boy, are you gonna hear it.

#645780 - 30/01/04 06:35 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, I'm sure some people will flame me, but that's beside the point. My legs didn't come with an artificial speed limiter, neither should my vehicle smile

#645781 - 30/01/04 06:38 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
First off, you're gonna get flamed for not searching... this was covered yesterday... hope I never have to drive next to you guys... Second... ahh, hell... it's all in the other thread! :rolleyes:

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#645782 - 30/01/04 06:40 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
austinbrtndr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Palindrome:
...and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

But what about the family that you kill as you drive 105?

Kraig

#645783 - 30/01/04 06:41 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Jackass!

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#645784 - 30/01/04 06:46 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

You nothing but a missle on wheels going that speed in an X. Try swerving to avoid a collision and watch what happens.

#645785 - 30/01/04 06:46 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
I don't care about factory warranty, etc. etc. and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.
Here's an idea, why not go downtown today and jump off a tall building. That should handle the paralyzation part just fine if you pick a building that isn't too tall.
Then you won't be able to drive and everyone will be much safer.

#645786 - 30/01/04 06:51 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
Quote:
[b]...and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

But what about the family that you kill as you drive 105?[/b]
You are assuming I want to drive 105 when a family is next to me.

#645787 - 30/01/04 06:52 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]I don't care about factory warranty, etc. etc. and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.
Here's an idea, why not go downtown today and jump off a tall building. That should handle the paralyzation part just fine if you pick a building that isn't too tall.
Then you won't be able to drive and everyone will be much safer.[/b]
Thanks. I'll pass.

#645788 - 30/01/04 06:53 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Thanks. I'll pass.
Then why not pass on the wreckless driving thing too ?

#645789 - 30/01/04 06:53 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
First off, you're gonna get flamed for not searching... this was covered yesterday... hope I never have to drive next to you guys... Second... ahh, hell... it's all in the other thread! :rolleyes:
I'm new to the board, and I haven't tried the search feature, but I will now. Thanks.

#645790 - 30/01/04 06:54 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
austinbrtndr Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]...and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

You are assuming I want to drive 105 when a family is next to me.[/b]
Hell, you won't know who's next to you when you're going 100+ passing someone going the posted limit... when the hell does anyone need to drive that fast?

Kraig

#645791 - 30/01/04 07:04 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
XOC Offline
Admin

This topic is very popular among stupid people on this board and I think it's time to ask, "Why do people want to go over 100mph?"

• Is 100mph some sort of magic number ?
  • If you do in fact drive over 100mph, what exactly are you accomplishing ?
  • Once you drive 100mph, what's next ? 105 ? 110 ? At what point do you no longer want to drive fast ?
  • Why would you want to drive 100mph in a 4000 pound brick that handles like a school bus ?
  • Why do you think we have sports cars ?
  • Is there a relationship between miles per hour over 100 and penis length ?
  • Do you really think girls like you more if you can drive over 100 ?

The speed limiter on all vehicles sold in the USA is based on the tires on the vehicle. Tires are rated for the sustained speed they can handle. The tires on the Xterra are designed to carry the weight of an SUV, not for performance, so the government steps in and prevents stupid people from injuring themselves and others by limiting the speed of the vehicle.

#645792 - 30/01/04 07:09 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am surprised that the government hasn't stepped in an said that no vehicle can go over 80 mph. That would piss off lots of folks.

#645793 - 30/01/04 07:20 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by SRTMO:
I am surprised that the government hasn't stepped in an said that no vehicle can go over 80 mph. That would piss off lots of folks.
I would want a refund on our WRX...

#645794 - 30/01/04 07:26 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I have no problem with people driving fast, as long as:

- They are driving some sort of sports car that has the suspension and braking power to be able to handle it (sports car does not mean suped up honda civic, neon, ect..)

- They drive on an open highway with very few (if any) cars around

- They are somewhat of a decent driver with some experience what to do when you lose control of a car

The X is not fast, is not designed to be fast, and never will be fast. Why would you want it to be fucken fast anyway?? Are you going to go wheelin at 60mph?? If you want a fast SUV, go get a Porshe Cyanne or an Infiniti FX. If you bought the X so you can supe it up fast and furious style, then you are fucken moron and we are all dumber just for knowing you.

#645795 - 30/01/04 07:41 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]Thanks. I'll pass.
Then why not pass on the wreckless driving thing too ?[/b]
My original post did not say I wanted information about how to drive recklessly. It said I wanted information about how to disable the speed limiter. I am well aware of the concept of personal responsibility and I take it seriously.

#645796 - 30/01/04 07:47 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
austinbrtndr Offline

Quote:
tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

IMO, foolishness and recklessness while driving that fast are about the same thing...

Kraig

#645797 - 30/01/04 07:51 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not that I need to explain myself to you, but I don't generally drive above 80 mph when there are other cars within sight distance.

Your desire to control my driving is unbecoming.

Tell you what, if I ever pass you going 105 on a busy highway, you have permission to call the police. Whatever makes you feel safer. In the mean time, I don't want others controlling my top potential speed, even if I never go that fast.

Take it all with a grain of salt, it's not personal, because you aren't a politician. If you were, I'd resort to mudslinging and other dirty tricks. As it is, I'm content to disagree with you and no hard feelings.

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
...and I will not sue you if you tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

You are assuming I want to drive 105 when a family is next to me.[/b]
Hell, you won't know who's next to you when you're going 100+ passing someone going the posted limit... when the hell does anyone need to drive that fast?

#645798 - 30/01/04 07:53 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’ve got to say I’m with the author of this thread. I feel that before we know it, all cars, trucks & vans sold in the U.S. will be electronically limited to 65mph. At that time I will throw in my keys for good and my motorcycle will be my daily transportation.

Not only does the top-speed governor get on my nerves, but also the rev-limiter as well. My ex-girlfriend had a 2002 Honda Civic Ex sedan. If you rev that car while in neutral, or any GM product aside from the Vette , it doesn’t let you go past 4K

What gets me is that my Honda Civic Si is the same year as my Ex girls EX Civic, I can rev my car in neutral to the red line all day long but you can’t in hers?

I’m going to call down to the local Nissan retailer my Body Shop uses & talk to the shop foreman about what can be had to remove the governor on the Xterra.

-Ryan

#645799 - 30/01/04 07:55 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]tell me how to go 105 mph and I paralyze myself as a result, or some other foolishness.

IMO, foolishness and recklessness while driving that fast are about the same thing...[/b]
In most situations, I would agree. However, if I was trying to get someone having a heart attack to the hospital, I might weigh the risks and decide I needed all the speed I could handle.

The point here is not that I want to go 105 mph, it's that I want the option too, because I should be the captain of my own ship. You are not. The government is not. I am unwilling to live in a world where strangers make my decisions for me.

#645800 - 30/01/04 07:58 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
In the mean time, I don't want others controlling my top potential speed, even if I never go that fast.
There are many factors in determining a vehicles top speed. A manufactorer takes all of these into consideration when setting the limiter on a truck like the X. I understand that you don't want others "controlling" your top speed, but it is for your safety. You can have the fastest car in the world, but if you can't stop and can't turn...then what is the point? Imagine a 16 year old kid getting in a truck like the X with no speed limiter. He goes 140 mph, can't stop, can't handle the truck because it is so heavy and slams into another car killing himself and the family he crashes into. The accident is largely due to the kids stupidy, but the maker of the car is partially at fault for making an unsafe vehicle.

#645801 - 30/01/04 07:59 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just for all the haters....

-Ryan

#645802 - 30/01/04 08:01 AM Re: Disabling speed limiter
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
I am unwilling to live in a world where strangers make my decisions for me.
To me it looks like you only have one choice. Take Ian's suggestion and jump of a tall building.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal