Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#645857 - 04/01/07 12:02 AM Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm new over here. Don't visit much since I'm a Pathfinder guy...not trying to advertise, just expand our aftermarket. [ThumbsUp]

It seems like a lot of people aren't happy with SLR's customer service or wait time (or even products lately) so I've been looking into another company making headers. A local shop that does GREAT work has stepped up to the plate to make them as long as there is interest. They'd be more affordable than the SLRs and the company has awesome customer service.

They would fit on the R50 Pathfinders with the 3.3L, Xterras, and Frontiers.

I'll have my set on the 13th if there is interest.

#645858 - 04/01/07 12:32 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ME!

#645859 - 04/01/07 01:35 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice! Anyone else? [Finger]

#645860 - 04/01/07 05:30 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Yup...me...though I already voted for them over on N4W...you can count me twice if you want though!!

#645861 - 04/01/07 05:44 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure.

#645862 - 04/01/07 05:53 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
As long as they are cheaper than SLR's header I'd consider it.
Will they trigger an engine light?
Will they screw up emissions testing?
Do we have to relocate the O2 sensors, etc..

Thanks for your efforts on trying to expand the Nissan Aftermarket.
[ThumbsUp]

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#645863 - 04/01/07 07:09 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I'm in.. [ThumbsUp]

#645864 - 04/01/07 07:35 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good to see some interest over here. Emissions was another thing I meant to post up...

What would everyone rather...keep the stock cats for emissions purposes or get rid of them like SLRs? I live in an area with emissions, but it seems like it's easy enough to get around them.

Do the SLRs trigger a check engine light?

Here's my idea for a way to try and satisfy everyone....

Have the shop make them with the idea of keeping the stock cats. They could then manufacture a "test pipe" to go along with them if you're looking to get rid of the stock cats.

I have been curious over whether or not a vehicle will pass emissions with the SLRs and only one cat. Was the argument ever settled over whether the SLRs delete the primary or secondary cats?

#645865 - 04/01/07 07:46 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really, really don't want to discourage.

But... There's 3, (count 'em, 3) different CAT setups on the 1st Gen Xterra with the V6 engine.

1) There's the original, with only 1 cat each side.
2) There's the second, with 2 cats each side (California emissions for all)
3) Redisigned exhaust manifolds to eliminate the cracking problem on/around 2002, with 2 cats each side, and the addition of the EGR system.

The cats have different bolting flange designs/angles for each of the different types. THIS is why no other aftermarket companies have come out with a design that keeps all the cats; it's not cost effective to design 3 different systems for 1 vehicle, given the small # of each style on the road.

Just wanted you to be aware of that when you're trying to determine how much interest there is for these things, and that you'll need to be designing 3 different header setups, and not just 1 size-fits-all if you're attempting to keep the cats.

And for the record, the SLR removes the PRIMARY Cats. The stock setup has an O2 sensor on the exhaust maniofld, and one after the PRIMARY Cat. The first O2 sensor gets moved from the exhaust manifold to the SLR headers. This O2 sensor regulates fuel/air mixture.

With the PRIMARY Cat removed, the O2 sensor that regulates emissions does not work properly. It MUST be moved to behind the SECONDARY cats in order to have a chance. And yes, the SECONDARY cats, when working properly, can prevent the Engine MIL light from lighting. However, to be perfectly honest, it's easier just to hook up a $10 O2 simulator resistor and be done with it...

This should be enough to pass a computer smog test. But, if you have to run a sniff test you'll most likely fail, and if a visual test, you'll definately fail.

I've had SLR headers for over a year, now. I only include that so that you'll realize what I'm saying isn't part of a debate; it's fact, so hopefully that'll clear up the air completely.

#645866 - 04/01/07 07:58 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for chiming in. Why Nissan chose to be so difficult we'll never know... [LOL]

Really appreciate you taking the time to post that. I will plan on taking it to the shop with me.

A few questions for you while I'm at it...

Do the models that include 1 set vs. 2 sets of cats use the same primary cat? I.E. the only thing that would differ on these models is what happens with the exhaust AFTER it exits the headers, correct?

EGR system...What needs to be incorporated into the headers to keep this? I'm assuming there will be a few extra tube hookups.

The Pathfinders have yet another different cat setup... [Uh Oh !]

Something brought up on another forum...why won't the SLR headers fit on the S/C engine?

#645867 - 04/01/07 08:12 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Ok, After researching NY state DMV's inspection requirements, as long as the Engine light isnt on any vehicle from 1996 and newer should pass.

Vehicles 1995 and older require a run on the chasis Dyno and emissions testing.

Even though it wont trigger and engine code/light, you can fail because emissions devices were removed and not replaced if originally equipped.
So the visual inspection really depends on the shop you take it to.

For those interested in NY state info, here is the link.
NYS DMV inspections

Personally, I'll jump through the hoops of relocating the O2 sensors and moving cats as need be to prevent the Engine light. I can deal with a visual inspection locally.

So I am definitely in for this.
I have a 2001 without CA emissions and a cracked stock manifold. smile

edited for spelling

I got "IT" from ebay.

#645868 - 04/01/07 08:20 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hopefully it's a project that can happen pretty soon rather than being 6 months out. The owner of the shop told me if I can get enough people interested to bring my Pathfinder down on the 13th. The shop is an hour and a half a way, but I won't complain if they're going to install them for me either. I don't mind letting someone else deal with broken studs. [Laughing]

#645869 - 04/01/07 10:12 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nissan050:
Hopefully it's a project that can happen pretty soon rather than being 6 months out. The owner of the shop told me if I can get enough people interested to bring my Pathfinder down on the 13th. The shop is an hour and a half a way, but I won't complain if they're going to install them for me either. I don't mind letting someone else deal with broken studs. [Laughing]
As we've discussed elsewhere, T, I'm only about 15 mins from the shop and I'd be willing to have them do the work on my '02 without the manifold re-design to get started laugh

#645870 - 04/01/07 10:32 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nissan050:

Do the models that include 1 set vs. 2 sets of cats use the same primary cat? I.E. the only thing that would differ on these models is what happens with the exhaust AFTER it exits the headers, correct?
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly sure the same primary is used on those two models; the manifolds are the same, which makes that end of the cat the same; I wouldn't think they'd use a different exit end on the cat. Then again, they might since it's really a completely different exhaust system with regards to the exhaust tubing & secondary cats, so you never know. Nissan and "standard" don't really ever seem to said in the same sentence.

Quote:

EGR system...What needs to be incorporated into the headers to keep this? I'm assuming there will be a few extra tube hookups.
I believe it is only 1 hose to be hooked up on the driver's side, but again, I can't be certain. Mine doesn't have the system, so I don't know. You should be able to get someone w/ the FSM to give you a screen scan of the exploded view that would tell you most everything you'd need to know.

Quote:
The Pathfinders have yet another different cat setup... [Uh Oh !]
SHOCKING!!! [Spit]

Quote:
Something brought up on another forum...why won't the SLR headers fit on the S/C engine?
The manifolds are the same, and the primary cats are the same on both models. I do not have information with me regarding the secondary cats. The exhaust pipe, hanging bracket on the passenger side, and mufflers are different, however, which may be the difference.

My best guess is that there's either something different w/ the secondary cats, or SLR just didn't have an SC to check it, and won't say it'll fit something they haven't personally checked for fitment.

#645871 - 04/01/07 01:26 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Count me in if the quality and price are good. I am an 04 NA.

Question about the EGR system. Can you disable it/bypass it? Are guys getting around with the SLR headers? Obviously I have EGR to deal with on this one... and would like to avoid CEL. If I can't avoid it, I am not in. Smog Cops here are a pain.

#645872 - 04/01/07 03:57 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
If they are headers that don't remove any of the Cats, I am very interested.

If they remove the Cats, they are a no-go for me (Mass laws requires the emissions pass CA standards - if it isn't legal to title in CA, it isn't legla in MA :rolleyes: )

#645873 - 04/01/07 06:55 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:
If they are headers that don't remove any of the Cats, I am very interested.

If they remove the Cats, they are a no-go for me (Mass laws requires the emissions pass CA standards - if it isn't legal to title in CA, it isn't legla in MA :rolleyes: )
ditto
laugh

#645874 - 04/01/07 10:14 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the design works out.... I'm in!

#645875 - 05/01/07 10:24 AM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
I have the early (9/99) version with just the single cats and am in Colorado if anyone needs to see that flavor.

#645876 - 05/01/07 06:54 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great to see another guy from Fort Collins. What's your name on Ronin? Mine is tmorgan4 everywhere but here...I awhile ago on here so the username doesn't match.

#645877 - 05/01/07 07:41 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm now trying to get a realistic number of people interested and what configuration they're interested in. It was tough since this is on 5 websites and not everyone is registered everywhere. Couldn't figure out how to word it, hope it makes sense. Everyone who has already voted in the polls on the website PLEASE VOTE AGAIN. Thanks!

It won't let me post it here due. Please follow this link:
EDIT: POLL ISN'T FIXED. I'LL UPDATE IT TONIGHT.

#645878 - 05/01/07 07:42 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Poll should be fixed. These free poll sites suck!!!

Let me know if you run into any problems.

#645879 - 05/01/07 07:50 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
01SalsaXterra Offline

No workie.
I think I voted on N4W, if you posted it there. wink
Otherwise I'll just send you my email address to you and you can add me to a list. laugh

Thanks for trying to set this up for us. [ThumbsUp]

I got "IT" from ebay.

#645880 - 05/01/07 08:04 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not a problem! I did post it over on N4W as well. It's a pain to try and get a count of how many people are interested when it's on more than 1 website! laugh

#645881 - 05/01/07 11:40 PM Re: Any interest in another header manufacturer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I've finally got if figured out...tried at least 10 other websites and none of them worked right.

YOUR CHOICE WILL NOT SHOW UP IMMEDIATLY AFTER SELECTING!

http://www.pradolifts.com/headerpoll

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal