Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646260 - 30/09/05 11:48 AM Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who has a flowmaster? What kind? How do you like it? Was it what you expected? How's the performance? Was there a difference in mpg, horsepower, and torque. I don't need to ask for the sound quality because it's a Flowmaster. Im going to get the 50 Series SUV Muffler. Does anyone have this one? Hope to hear back from you all on your Flowmasters.

#646261 - 30/09/05 12:00 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

There have been a bunch of threads about this already (including 2 right below this post). You can do a search for "Flowmaster" and come up with a ton of information on opinions, difference between 40 and 50 series, size, model #'s, etc. Here's a few links to get you started. Hope this helps.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000685

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000675

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000626

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000607

#646262 - 03/10/05 09:40 AM Re: Flowmaster
2 the X Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA.
Currently I have a Flowmaster 40 Series on my X. The exhuast has a nice throaty sound to it but even under acceleration its not "too loud". Now while exhaust tone is a subjective topic, I think you'll be happy w/ either a 50 series or a 40 series. The only difference between the two, I believe, is that the 50 series is a "quieter" muffler. Let's just say its a more conservative approach to the Flowmaster sound. Performance gains exist but the real gains will be if you totally replace the exhaust pipe to a slightly larger diameter w/o loosing too much backpressure.

Hope this helps a bit. . .the above links should give you some other view points as well.

Devandra

#646263 - 04/10/05 12:06 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

like it has a 2.25 on the pipes right now i would get a 2.50 said one mechanic at Midas. That is not that big of difference in diameter like u had said. 2.50 would be nice but do u think it would mess up the back pressure on the engine. And i would get aluminized pipes not stainless steal too much in price.

#646264 - 04/10/05 12:44 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude you don't want back pressure. The faster you can get the exhaust out of the car the faster you can get air in the car. The bigger pipes will be fine.

#646265 - 04/10/05 06:49 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Currently I have a Flowmaster 40 Series on my X. The exhuast has a nice throaty sound to it but even under acceleration its not "too loud".
Its just right for my taste.......and since its not loud at idle, its perfect for my remote start, since it wont bother my neighbors......... cool

Robb

#646266 - 05/10/05 01:58 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you get the 40 Series Standard or Super 40 Series muffler. Why didn't you get the 50 Series SUV which is designed for V-6 engines and SUV's. The master mechanic from Flowmaster said to get the 50 Series SUV and not to get bigger pipes on a stock engine because it cause mess up the back pressure. I think the 40 Series is too loud froem what I here and I live in a complex with a whole bunch of old people and want an exhaust that had some nice sound but not to loud that would be noticed too much. Yet I do want the 40 Series but also want the 50 Series SUV because it is specifically made for SUV as to the 40 Series made for Street Cars not SUV's.

#646267 - 05/10/05 02:23 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have both. I had the Super 40 on my X for about 100 miles and decided that it was to loud for my taste and my neighbors kind of hinted that point as well. So I switched to the 50 SUV and I love that thing. Nice deep sound but not to overpowering as the 40 series. At idle it has a little rumble, but you notice it when you accelerate.

#646268 - 05/10/05 06:11 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have changed my mind and desided to go with the Super 40 Series Muffler. I spoke to the master mechanic again and said not to go with the Original 40 Series but to go with the Super 40 Series with Delta Flow. The Super 40 Series has a the same of both worlds Sound and Performance. Plus it has the least amount of interior resistence which is good in my case. I want the loudness now. HAHAHA

#646269 - 05/10/05 07:28 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

interior resistance? as in, it's loud inside your car?

i am also about to modify my pipes. was thinking the flowmaster 40 delta.. but i don't want it to bother me and my music listening.

#646270 - 05/10/05 07:47 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by m2pro:
interior resistance? as in, it's loud inside your car?

i am also about to modify my pipes. was thinking the flowmaster 40 delta.. but i don't want it to bother me and my music listening.
It doesnt interfere with my music.....do you have stock speakers of aftermarket?
I have 4 aftermarket speakers running of a 4 channel amp tho, so I dont know if it would be any different with the stock system.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterra_03:
Did you get the 40 Series Standard or Super 40 Series muffler. Why didn't you get the 50 Series SUV which is designed for V-6 engines and SUV's. .
I got the Super 40 Series Delta.......I got it for a good price from someone who got rid of their X before he got a chance to install it.......

Robb

#646271 - 05/10/05 09:47 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

nah dude. they're factory. but they're the ones that come with that rockford fosgate system.

i used to be into making my civic's system uber pimp... but i assure you, this system is no push over.

regardless, i have 0 experience with aftermarket mufflers. so i just wanted to find out if it would be annoying at all... or kinda like that logic behind getting a tattoo. *sometimes you're glad you got it, and most of the time you're not*

#646272 - 05/10/05 11:03 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by m2pro:
nah dude. they're factory. but they're the ones that come with that rockford fosgate system.

i used to be into making my civic's system uber pimp... but i assure you, this system is no push over.

regardless, i have 0 experience with aftermarket mufflers. so i just wanted to find out if it would be annoying at all... or kinda like that logic behind getting a tattoo. *sometimes you're glad you got it, and most of the time you're not*
That should be fine (Fosgate).......
and my stereo setup is nothing crazy, I used to do all of that stuff in my last car........I just wanted something nice and full sounding, the stock one sounded crappy to me (flat)......

Robb

#646273 - 06/10/05 05:24 AM Re: Flowmaster
2 the X Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA.
W/ re to backpressure. . .the larger you go w/ the diameter of the exhaust pipe the more you increase your top end and the more you increase your low end. Backpressure helps greatly w/ your 0-60 performance while a larger diameter pipe help w/ lets say your 'cruising' speeds. I have had technicians tell me that a 2.5" pipe is probably the largest one should go on our 3.3L engine set-ups. A larger pipe diameter is more at home on a big block V8. The interior resonance of my 40 Series is not as bad as I thought it might be. Under hard acceleration its quite evident but under cruising speeds its not very noticeable. My current exhaust pipe is a 2.25" so w/ a 2.5" pipe it might be a bit louder.

Hope this helps a bit.

#646274 - 06/10/05 06:21 AM Re: Flowmaster
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by 2 the X:
W/ re to backpressure. . .the larger you go w/ the diameter of the exhaust pipe the more you increase your top end and the more you increase your low end. Backpressure helps greatly w/ your 0-60 performance while a larger diameter pipe help w/ lets say your 'cruising' speeds. I have had technicians tell me that a 2.5" pipe is probably the largest one should go on our 3.3L engine set-ups. A larger pipe diameter is more at home on a big block V8. The interior resonance of my 40 Series is not as bad as I thought it might be. Under hard acceleration its quite evident but under cruising speeds its not very noticeable. My current exhaust pipe is a 2.25" so w/ a 2.5" pipe it might be a bit louder.

Hope this helps a bit.
Very well put..I would not go bigger than 2.50" with our engines.SC'd models although might take bigger pipes.Anything that is running turbo or supercharger will benefeit from a larger diameter pipe..

I'm running a Flowmaster 50 series single in dual out to the rear using 2.25" pipes and it sounds awesome..

#646275 - 06/10/05 11:28 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the 40 Series Flowmaster (which is what I have) is not loud at all. You can't really hear it that much when idling and you don't have to mash to the floor when leaving your apt. complex. My neighbors sure are fine with it. I would say that the Flowmaster 40 Original sounds more like the Infinity FX or the G35 exhaust. Ever heard that sound? Nice and mellow yet with a little grunt.

40 series Delta is quieter and 50 series SUV is also quieter than the 40 Original.

I love my 40 Original, that's all I gotta say.

#646276 - 06/10/05 11:47 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Super 40 with Delta Flow is better in the inside of your car because it will not be as loud compared to the Original 40 Series. Plus it sounds the same on the outside and you really dont need to hear it in the inside unless racing with manual but then why are you racing in an X-Terra?

#646277 - 06/10/05 11:58 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The Super 40 with Delta Flow is better in the inside of your car because it will not be as loud compared to the Original 40 Series. Plus it sounds the same on the outside and you really dont need to hear it in the inside unless racing with manual but then why are you racing in an X-Terra?
Well, it actually is a little quieter on the outside, that's why you don't hear it that much on the outside. It eliminates the tone that's amplified inside the truck, but sacrifices outside sound. After all, sound does not care what is in it's way. How can it be the same on the outside yet quieter on the inside if nothing was done to the X????

#646278 - 07/10/05 05:34 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

main question is what about the new 05 xterras?

they have bigger engines. would those larger pipes be appropriate on ours? or should i stick to the 2.5's or under still?

also, as far as the noise argument... it has to do with depth or high end noise quality. if it were full of depth, it would carry through the interior of the car way better. if it were high end noise, then it would also. but if it weren't extreme on either end of those frequencies, then it may not be so loud on the inside, but still seem really loud on the outside.

either way, the bottom line is what the decibel is.

#646279 - 08/10/05 01:02 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 02terra:
Well, the 40 Series Flowmaster (which is what I have) is not loud at all. You can't really hear it that much when idling and you don't have to mash to the floor when leaving your apt. complex. My neighbors sure are fine with it. I would say that the Flowmaster 40 Original sounds more like the Infinity FX or the G35 exhaust. Ever heard that sound? Nice and mellow yet with a little grunt.

40 series Delta is quieter and 50 series SUV is also quieter than the 40 Original.

I have an original 40 and 2.5" piping and in no way does it sound like a g35 or an FX. An FX45 has got a v8 in it and no matter what you do to our engines it's not gonna sound like a v8. I've driven my buddies g35 coupe and it's quiet not loud at all. I think i'm going to go with a delta series or maybe the 50 cuz the sound is getting old to me. At first i liked it, but now i wish i would have gone with a delta flow, but it's all personal preference

#646280 - 08/10/05 10:39 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutz:
Quote:
Originally posted by 02terra:
[b]Well, the 40 Series Flowmaster (which is what I have) is not loud at all. You can't really hear it that much when idling and you don't have to mash to the floor when leaving your apt. complex. My neighbors sure are fine with it. I would say that the Flowmaster 40 Original sounds more like the Infinity FX or the G35 exhaust. Ever heard that sound? Nice and mellow yet with a little grunt.

When my girlfriend was driving the truck and I was outside sure sounded somewhat like a G35 to me. Maybe I just love that sound too muuch.

I have an original 40 and 2.5" piping and in no way does it sound like a g35 or an FX. An FX45 has got a v8 in it and no matter what you do to our engines it's not gonna sound like a v8. I've driven my buddies g35 coupe and it's quiet not loud at all. I think i'm going to go with a delta series or maybe the 50 cuz the sound is getting old to me. At first i liked it, but now i wish i would have gone with a delta flow, but it's all personal preference[/b]
Sounded like it to me when my g/f it too much. drove it. Maybe I just like that sound way too much.

#646281 - 09/10/05 06:26 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do any of you guys have or can make a sound clip of your new muffler? I would really appreciate it.

#646282 - 09/10/05 09:45 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Do any of you guys have or can make a sound clip of your new muffler? I would really appreciate it.
I'll try to make one today, I planned on making one anyway. Check back this evening.

#646283 - 09/10/05 11:33 AM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a sound clip that you requested. I have one more clip of sound under acceleration. IF I can shrink it I'll post it as well.

[url= [url=http://www.zippyvideos.com/2396055241607226/dscn2241/] [/url] ]Flowmaster 40 original at idle[/URL]

#646284 - 09/10/05 04:39 PM Re: Flowmaster
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow thanks alot. I really apreciate this and if anyone else out there with the Super 40 Series Muffler could make a sound clip that would be great. Or it anyone else with a Original 40 Series.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal