2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646399 - 26/12/02 06:08 PM VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
zpeed7 Offline

Does anyone know of anybody has swapped a VG30DE-TT or a VQ into an Xterra? I've been surfing around the web for some info but can't seem to find anything. These changes should, theoretically, bolt right in... Seems like a logical step for me...

thanks!
Zpeed7

#646400 - 26/12/02 06:31 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
J.P. Offline

[Huh?]

#646401 - 26/12/02 07:25 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Why would you want to do that?

#646402 - 26/12/02 07:59 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
It probably could be done, but the reality is that turbos don't work well in trucks. They create too much heat and they don't provide the necessary low end grunt. Leave the turbos for cars and either stay normally aspirated or work towards a supercharger fix for older Xterras.

#646403 - 26/12/02 09:24 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Nissan's Project-X has a 3.5 liter VQ from a Pathfinder in it. They spent a huge sum of money getting it to work.

#646404 - 26/12/02 11:55 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Well I guess if ya go to the trouble to shoehorn that baby in. Plus plumbing for the turbos (opps get the torch out, I'll make it fit) :rolleyes: The swapping the complete wiring harness, computer, and radiator. Should be no more than a afternoon mod??? [Laughing] Then the next day go out and get some 20s and torgue the t-bars down! [Spit] Just way too many headaches and money IMO! Gator

#646405 - 27/12/02 12:31 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
but the reality is that turbos don't work well in trucks. They create too much heat and they don't provide the necessary low end grunt.
Chuck,

Turbo's are definately more efficient than a supercharger (compressor), and if spec'ed correctly for the application can produce more than enough boost at the low end.

As well they make it easy to facilitate a CAC, wich will have drastically lower intake temperatures than a comperable supercharged unit without a aftercooler would (ie. OEM Nissan SC).

#646406 - 27/12/02 01:17 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pacopico:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
[b]but the reality is that turbos don't work well in trucks. They create too much heat and they don't provide the necessary low end grunt.
Chuck,

Turbo's are definately more efficient than a supercharger (compressor), and if spec'ed correctly for the application can produce more than enough boost at the low end.

As well they make it easy to facilitate a CAC, wich will have drastically lower intake temperatures than a comperable supercharged unit without a aftercooler would (ie. OEM Nissan SC).[/b]
True but if you are wheeling or towing you need that torque as low as possible. To get low torque you need tiny turbos so they spool up faster, and smaller turbos just won't take the abuse in this application. Plus, the towing and slow speed offroading would get them so hot that things will start melting around them.

In most applications I think turbo is a better way to go, but this isn't it IMO unless it's a turbo diesel.

Now, if this is going to be a street racing Xterra then turbos would make more sense. What wouldn't make sense is having a street racing Xterra. eek [Laughing]

#646407 - 27/12/02 03:33 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I think it would be easier to lift and put massive tires on a 300ZXTT smile ...oh and probably cheaper.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#646408 - 27/12/02 09:22 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Think that would void the warranty?? [Laughing]

#646409 - 28/12/02 03:29 AM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
IIRC turbo charged 4x4's have been produced by several manufacturers. Toyota made a 4runner with a TC'ed 4 cylinder gas motor. I'd expect that some must have seen some dirt. More recent was the TC'ed V-6's in the GM Syclone/Tyfoon trucks. Those were more street-racers than off road tho. Maybe there are others that I've forgotten. Of course TCs are common on oil burners - the Dodge Cummings for example.
Done right, any forced induction could work.

dave and xtoy - but that's not so easy cool

#646410 - 28/12/02 06:22 AM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:
Done right, any forced induction could work.
Sure, it could work, but it's still not ideal. Hence the reason they're so rare. That 4Runner had far lower transfer case gears than the X does. Not to mention that turbo was a Toyota band-aid. I think it only lasted one or two years before being replaced by the six. Those Typhoon type trucks are strictly street only. And turbo diesels don't compare because they produce tons of low end torque due to the fact that they're diesels. It's not that it wouldn't work, but if you're going to go through the trouble of swapping an engine in the X, why not do it right?

#646411 - 28/12/02 01:53 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
And before ANYONE else asks. To convert an X to diesel power like the Aussie Navara would cost way too much. I already priced such a conversion for Randall and it turned out to be cheaper to buy a Navara Diesel and ship it to the USA and then swap parts then to buy everything seperately.

#646412 - 28/12/02 03:51 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
If your'e going to go to the trouble and expense of doing a swap why not go with an 8cyl, such as the infiniti engine. Those are on e-bay from time to time and could work. Better yet, just drop in (with liberal use of giant shoe-horn) a Merlin 500ci+ crate motor [Laughing] [Huh?] [Laughing] The X would certainly be interesting with 800+ hp to the wheels...that might make for a few more mods though smile You could mention during the oil-change paperwork that it has a slight miss at 8500 rpm, should be good for a laugh [Freak]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#646413 - 28/12/02 11:36 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
zpeed7 Offline

Why would I do this? Well why does anyone swap 2.0 16V's into early Rabbits, H22's into Civics, or american V8s into, well, everything? More power of course... Also if it can be done... why not do it?
Also, I think it's only a matter of time until Nissan drops the VQ into the X. It doesn't make any sense to keep on selling the VG3.3 when 95% of all their other products, including Infinity, use the VQ engine at some state of tune. The VQ is more powerful and efficient at the same time. I think its a no brainer for Nissan. Maybe for 2004 or 5.

Thanks for the info on project X I'll try to look it up....

Another interesting question....

Does anyone know if the twin cam 4 valve heads from the 300zx fit the VG 3.3?

Thanks again,
Zpeed7

#646414 - 29/12/02 01:52 AM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
A while back there was a statement from Nissuck(I think) that the 3.5 is not used in the X or pick-up because of drive train issues. A clue to this may be on the Pathfinder spec sheet. If you recall, that model was upgraded from 3.3 to 3.5. Note the power ratings for the engine between the manual transmission and automatic. Speculate as you will.

dave and xtoy - wait for the XX model wink

#646415 - 11/01/03 08:33 PM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
PaulsX Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, Va.
Quote:
Originally posted by zpeed7:
More power of course... Also if it can be done... why not do it?
Also, I think it's only a matter of time until Nissan drops the VQ into the X. It doesn't make any sense to keep on selling the VG3.3 when 95% of all their other products, including Infinity, use the VQ engine at some state of tune. The VQ is more powerful and efficient at the same time. I think its a no brainer for Nissan. Maybe for 2004 or 5.

I agree.. That is the one major complaint that I have about my X. Power.. From a standing start it accelerates quite nicely, but at other times, like when I'm accelerating to make a lane change or merging on to the Freeways, I wish that she had more power. I can see it coming already,, "Get the S/C" That's the point. I don't want an S/C.

I've already got a turbocharged car that requires premium gasoline and just recently got rid of another turbo'd car.. Filling up one with premium every week gets expensive. Two is unbelievable. I like the fact that I can run cheap ole 87 in my X and she won't complain.

Like Zspeed7 said.. The 3.5 in an X just seems like a no-brainer.

Just my $0.02343653 on the matter.
97 GS-T

#646416 - 12/01/03 09:18 AM Re: VQ or Twin Turbo engine swap...
MOLTAR Offline

Loc: richmond, va
Quote:
Originally posted by PjayzX:
From a standing start it accelerates quite nicely, but at other times, like when I'm accelerating to make a lane change or merging on to the Freeways, I wish that she had more power.
funny, i think it's ass-slow "off the line" but has decent power if i'm merging or passing someone. 'course, i'll shift to 4th if i think i need it...

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal