Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646417 - 19/02/04 09:40 AM Why poor gas milage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not being all that knowledgable about engines and engine performance I just want to know why Xterras get relatively poor gas milage?

Are Xterras just too heavy and the engines are underpowered for their weight?

Is it a combination of variables?

#646418 - 19/02/04 10:00 AM Re: Why poor gas milage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I will be nice.... You are gonna get yelled at for not searching... But it gets bad gas mileage, one due to its weight, secondly due to the lack of aerodynamics and also partially due to a V6... but not really...

Its a truck all trucks get bad gas mileage, its part of the territory..

I would be intersted to see if on aF250 or 350 forum you see this much about bad mileage when those trucks get like 12 on thier best days.... [Freak]

#646419 - 19/02/04 10:18 AM Re: Why poor gas milage?
GrayHam Offline

Nissan is in cahoots with the oil industry, and develops engines with poor mileage so you buy more gas; which in turn is forcing Bush's hand in Iraq, waging war but withholding the oil to keep gas prices high; this in turn sends money into the oil companies, all of whom are run by robots from Neptune.

The Xterra gets shitty mileage because robots from Neptune want to fuck with you.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle . . .

Have a nice day.

#646420 - 19/02/04 10:36 AM Re: Why poor gas milage?
warlock Offline

Loc: Springfield VA
[Huh?] [Laughing] [Spit] [LOL]

#646421 - 19/02/04 10:58 AM Re: Why poor gas milage?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by X2theZ:
Its a truck all trucks get bad gas mileage, its part of the territory..

I would be intersted to see if on aF250 or 350 forum you see this much about bad mileage when those trucks get like 12 on thier best days.... [Freak]
Time out. You can't apply the "its a truck" mentality to this question. Dodge Dakota has a small block V8 that easily turns 22mpg on the highway and it has a LOT more power to weight than the X.

True, the X is heavy and about as aerodynamic as a brick. Nissan already had the V6 developed and since it was already tested, tried, and true (it *IS* an excellent engine) they kept it when the turned the Frontier into the X.

You can't compare the X to a F250 or 350... please, apples and oranges. Those are trucks with a capital "T" that can take serious towing and daily abuse to a new level. If the X were THAT capable, you'd see more Xterras in fleets, construction companies, hauling horse trailers, etc.

I have always thought the X could use a slightly bigger engine tuned down a bit for the weight compensation. You'd still get horseshit mileage when you towed or hauled or whatever, but you'd getter a better bang for the buck on the highway.

Anyway, if some bonehead in an Escape boasts about his mileage being better than your X, just remind him that you don't have Unibody construction and/or 4-wheel IS. You have a steel ladder type frame with leaf springs in the rear, excellent steel skid plate protection, and that you like it that way.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#646422 - 20/02/04 07:49 PM Re: Why poor gas milage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On "truck" forums you do not see this much about mileage. About the only time you really get people complaining is if it's a newbie and it's their first truck or if a guy with a small block falls into the high single digits or a guy with a big block falls into the low single digits. A guy with a bigblock tends to expect about 10/15, but can live down to about 7/12. A guy with a smallblock expects about 15/20 and seems to cope down to about 10/12.

Justin

#646423 - 03/03/04 05:09 AM Re: Why poor gas milage?
David Offline

Loc: Sherman, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Nissan is in cahoots with the oil industry, and develops engines with poor mileage so you buy more gas; which in turn is forcing Bush's hand in Iraq, waging war but withholding the oil to keep gas prices high; this in turn sends money into the oil companies, all of whom are run by robots from Neptune.

The Xterra gets shitty mileage because robots from Neptune want to fuck with you.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle . . .

Have a nice day.
I couldn't have said it better. Althought I thought the robots were from Mars [Freak]

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal