Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646505 - 19/08/04 01:09 PM Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Being that I have an '04 Xterra, most places really don't have a selection for performance. I've been keeping my eye on the Volant Cold Air Intake, but the trouble is, once again, they have none for an '04.

Would the '02 Volant intake fit on an '04?

#646506 - 19/08/04 01:28 PM Re: Volant
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
No reason it shouldn't, nothing has changed about the intake.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#646507 - 19/08/04 01:37 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

They are all the same...

some web pages list it for all years, some dont... its the same product number, but that number is for an 02...

it will work...

#646508 - 19/08/04 02:23 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I've kind of changing my mind on things now. I've always heard nothing but good about AEM, and I've found an excellent deal on the AEM Brute Force intake system.

Retail for these things are about $300.00, while I've found a few for about $277.00. But, I've found a store on eBay that sells them new for $215.00 w/ free shipping.

I just want to know what the major differences between the two are. Are open intake systems better/worse than closed?

I just need a little help.

#646509 - 19/08/04 03:04 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Other opinions my be different than mine.. but here is what I have picked up..

the enclosed ones are the only true "cold air" systems. they are the only ones that you can mount a snorkel on, and they are less likely to get water in them from splash ups from puddles and what not.

The open ones are, usually cheaper (less material) and have more access to air, even though its often hot air from the engine.

I personally wouldn't get anything other than the Volant. Especially on a brand new engine.. not that the other intakes aren't good too, I just think Volant raised the bar a little...

on a 20,000+ dollar car, spend the extra money and get what you want!

Just my .02...

#646510 - 19/08/04 03:17 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
Other opinions my be different than mine.. but here is what I have picked up..

the enclosed ones are the only true "cold air" systems. they are the only ones that you can mount a snorkel on, and they are less likely to get water in them from splash ups from puddles and what not.

The open ones are, usually cheaper (less material) and have more access to air, even though its often hot air from the engine.

I personally wouldn't get anything other than the Volant. Especially on a brand new engine.. not that the other intakes aren't good too, I just think Volant raised the bar a little...

on a 20,000+ dollar car, spend the extra money and get what you want!

Just my .02...
Well, I can get a good deal on an AEM Brute Force Intake, which is about 30% off.

AEM Brute Force

#646511 - 19/08/04 03:24 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

4x4rockshop has them for 240 with no shipping...
Rockshop
i know thats more, but its a perminent vendor...

To each there own, if you are just trying to save money, you can get the volant for 211... so that would be about the same price with shipping... or you can get the airaid for 174... or the K&N for 219..

Lots of choices, all pretty good ones...

#646512 - 19/08/04 03:49 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just put the volant intake on my 04 X about a month ago. It fits great and has improved my mileage by about 1.7 mpg, throttle response seems better also. I went through some nasty rain storms on the highway and the intake preformed great. I do like that the filter is shealded from the engine heat. Just my experince with the volant intake.

#646513 - 19/08/04 07:52 PM Re: Volant
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
(not hijacking thread... wink )

boognight -

How's the Volant holding up for you? I'm curious if your experience with Hopup was good, as I'm thinking of ordering the Borla from them in a couple weeks. Plus, I just want to know if you like the Volant!

#646514 - 19/08/04 11:16 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually haven’t gotten one yet... I am the kind of person that painfully weighs all the options and makes a decision after wanting something for over a month...

right now, the Volant is the front runner in my mind... just from what others have said, and the fact that it is enclosed.

#646515 - 20/08/04 04:31 AM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Boognight, you and I have that in common - I'm the most anal retentive shopper in existence laugh

I finished my painful option weighing, and ordered the Volant kit for $211 from hopup. Honestly, I see very little difference in the other air intake kits available - same design, same ineffective splash guard. In their case, I would probably stick with the K&N, which does make excellent filters.

Installation of the Volant looks to be very clean, and instructions posted for the installation are clear and straightforward. I'm looking forward to the dream of 17mpg :rolleyes:

Cheers!

#646516 - 20/08/04 10:06 AM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea, i am looking mainly for the MPG increase!! I hate only getting about 240-260 miles before the light comes on! 302 is my best... but only broke 300 once (close a couple times). now i have larger tires, so i dont see that ever happening again without intake and exhaust.

Yea K&N makes top-notch filters, but like you said, all of those have damn near pointless shields. I think i am going to get the Volant, its just a matter of when. I waited to long now, because i am about to start my journey back to college on monday, so maybe ill order it to my apartment there...

Xhawk- NICE X by the way... its the best one they make! laugh

#646517 - 20/08/04 10:26 AM Re: Volant
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Boog -

I figured by previous posts you would've picked one up. I was the same way though - took me months to decide. I kept telling myself, "The K&N has brand recognition but it looks like it would suck in a lot of hot air....but the AEM is all shiny and looks cool...then there's the enclosed box of the Volant..." It took me less time to decide to buy my Xterra than I took to decide on which damn air filter to put into it.

A couple days after I put in the Volant I went on a long drive through some hot, hilly terrain in the mountains. By the time I got home the engine was hot, so I popped the hood and felt the wave of hot air hit me. I was pretty sure at that point that the Volant was a good choice.

FYI, still haven't gotten good numbers for mileage yet, but I usually squeaked out around 18 without the Volant so I might not gain much.

#646518 - 13/03/05 01:44 PM Re: Volant
Trailmix Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
First off, I wanted to thank all the XOC'ers who posted a wealth of information about the Volant Intake. I absorbed the info (and warnings) like a sponge.

I went ahead with the purchase of the Volant for the following reasons:
  • The price was right from a fellow UXOC'er who just didn't have the time to install it
  • I like the idea of an "enclosed" intake box to protect the filter not only from the warmer air of the engine, but from any mud/gunk that might splash onto it

Regarding the install:
  • I was prepared to find missing parts from Volant, thanks to the posts I researched. Sure enough: (a) A screw for the O2 sensor was missing, just ran out to Lowes for a matching pair of self-tapping screws, and (b) One of the clamps was too small, so I used one from the factory hoses
  • Thankfully, the hose to connect Volant's box to the engine was right on. Tight, but didn't require any heat.

Overall, I'm pleased to say that my Volant install went off without a hitch. I'd give the project 1 HOUR start to finish (with all parts at the ready), minus the good conversation and laughs with Fastdrmr and Lewers [ThumbsUp] (there to help with my install and mods of their own). smile
As my '01 X has 78K on it, I have noticed that the completed aftermarket exhaust of VOLANT on the front and MAGNAFLOW on the back has improved the throttle response and HP enough to make it worth it. I can feel the difference, not only in the punch of the line, but in the beefier grumble the exhaust now has. I can tell my X's breathing a whole lot easier. I'll let ya know how the gas mileage works out... wink

The only thing I'm a bit dissapointed with, and as another XOC'er noticed on their setup -- The gasket to connect to the "cold air" in the wheel well doesn't COMPLETELY cover both holes. I'll get in there with something inventive to seal the deal, so to speak, if need be - but it's not a deal-breaker.

Thanks again, guys for all the helpful info!
XOC continues not only to be an entertaining visit, but a very educational read.
[Wave]

#646519 - 13/03/05 02:32 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plug the resonator hole with a 31/2 inch plumbing plug (I had to trim the plug a little)

Mine is sealed to a snokel, hence all the silicone.

#646520 - 13/03/05 08:12 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had my Volant on since September, drove it from CA to WI in weather from over 100F to -30F an it had worked flawlessly. I did not remove the in fender resonator and my air box matches up perfectly with the opening.

Sound is great, mileage is up just a bit and I am satisfied completely with my purchase from Hopup.

Tom

#646521 - 17/03/05 09:31 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

FWIW I sealed the lid on my Volant for the winter with weather stripping to keep out salt. It did that, but also dropped my mileage about 1mpg and the noise from the intake went away. It also took away some of the power feeling I got from the mod on the low end.

Took the stripping off today and the power is back, as well as the intake noise when you get into the throttle.

Time will tell on the MPG!

Tom

#646522 - 18/03/05 03:43 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone did my install and it looks different than the others. I have a 2001 so maybe it is supposed to be different? I put red arrows where I'm referring to. Does this look right?

#646523 - 18/03/05 10:17 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

You seem to be missing a hose that is suppose to be there.

Tom

#646524 - 18/03/05 10:47 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's what it looks like to me also. I looked back in my emails and this was the explanation I got. "Some minor issues came up, but all resolved. Except for the fact that you have no vacuum hoses... must be an older model thing. Regardless, it still works."

I think I should still get it checked out. Thank you for your reply.

#646525 - 19/03/05 04:24 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can see from my pic on the previous page, that hose is there, and mine is a 2000. The same hose was connected to the stock intake.

#646526 - 19/03/05 09:08 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine is a 2000 also and the hose was there on the stock intake and should be there on the Volant. There should be a hose to the air box and the other tube should be plugged as you can see from my photo.

Tom

#646527 - 20/03/05 12:14 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I looked in the box that contains my old intake and can see where the hose would have been connected on the old intake. The actual hose didn't make it back to me, if there even was one. But I should be able to find a replacement.

I also found the instructions. The instructions show the first tube to be a 5/8 stock breather hose fitting and the second one is a 1/2 stock breather hose fitting.

However, I took another look and notice that there is a third tube not mentioned in the instructions. It appears that all three tubes branch off from one hallow part. So I believe I would need to plug the third tube also?

Daggerdoggie, in your picture it appears that you have a hose running from the second tube. It's hard to tell from the picture so I may be wrong. Did you use that in setting up your snorkel? Just curious.

It seems that I should be able to take care of this myself. Five trucks for both of you since you saved me from spending my Saturday at the shop and saved me some money. Thanks! smile

#646528 - 20/03/05 05:08 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just looked at mine, and that third tube goes to a sensor, or something on top of the power steering pump and from there goes over into the intake manifold. Mine is a little differnt, but only #2 goes into the Volant air intake.

Hope that helps.

#646529 - 21/03/05 04:20 PM Re: Volant
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
I am trying to understand how the Volant air intake differs, and/or is better than the stock airbox with a K&N drop in air filter. It is sucking air from the same place through the same opening, is it not? A K&N FIPK or any other open air element seems less restrictive because it will pull more air from the engine bay. Someoen please enlighten me. I can't see it in the pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal