Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646530 - 21/03/05 07:03 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is also less restrictive to water than the closed Volant system.

Tom

#646531 - 22/03/05 04:45 PM Re: Volant
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
What is?

#646532 - 22/03/05 06:02 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

The "open" air filters pull in more air because of a larger surface area. The problem is, they suck in heated, less dense, engine compartment air. The Volant is a true cold air intake and pulls in air from outside the engine, thus giving dense, cold air with more 02.

#646533 - 22/03/05 09:28 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Open filters can also suck in water in some situations.

Tom

#646534 - 23/03/05 05:49 PM Re: Volant
Xterradon Offline

In a strict comparison to the stock air box with a lower restriction K&N direct replacement (NOT FIPK), how is the Volant setup better? How is it a better "cold air intake" than the stock air box? How can it pull more air through the same opening? With the Volant installed, nothing seems to have changed before the filter nor after the filter. What are you guys getting for your money? I can't see how there can be any performance gain. I am trying to understand this.

#646535 - 23/03/05 06:33 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is exactly right...it is the stock filter that is restrictive, not the openings. A lot of air can pass through that 2 1/2 hose.

#646536 - 23/03/05 07:39 PM Re: Volant
Xterradon Offline

so why not spend 30 bucks on a K&N drop in replacement? There is no way a cone shaped filter (or whatever is in the Volant intake) is going to flow more air than the stock setup (with a less restrictive air filter replacement).

The reason why people go with a setup like the K&N FIPK is that the benefit of flowing more air outweighs the fact that the air it pulls in might be warmer than ambient. I seriously doubt the air underhood is stagnant when the truck is moving.

Again, I am trying to understand your reasons for spending so much money on a Volant.

#646537 - 24/03/05 04:46 AM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Volant is a cone filter, much like the K& N cone filters, it is a huge surface area compared to the stock. In addition, it is enlclosed so you truck gets colder air. The K & N replacement that fits in the stock filter, while possibly freer flowing, has no greater surface area.

#646538 - 24/03/05 03:42 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Volant system is much smoother on the inside than the stock molded rubber, so air can move faster and easier with the slick Volant air tube.

I would expect that you will see some improvement with a cone filter inside the stock air box, but unless you find a way to smooth off the inside of the rubber stock tube it won't be as efficient as the Volant.

I find mine to be doing just what I wanted and am happy with it, YMMV!

Tom

#646539 - 24/03/05 04:39 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Starts beating a horse...oh, wait...it's dead! [Sleep]

jk...I wish this post was around before I decided on my intake. But, still no complaints laugh

#646540 - 24/03/05 09:56 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. STOCK AIR FILTER IS RESTRICTIVE (ENGINEERS HAVE REASONS TO THEIR DESIGNS)
2. OPENINGS ARE RESTRICTIVE (PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAVE A REASON TO REMOVING RESONATORS, IT MAY LOOK STUPID, BUT ONLY THEY KNOW IT'S NOT. NOBODY WILL WASTE THEIR TIME TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU ALL OF ANYTHING)
3. AIR UNDER HOOD IS HOT (IT'S AN ENGINE, AND THEIRS A REASON WHY CAR'S HAVE TEMPERATURE GAUGES. HOW BOUT YOU TURN YOUR ENGINE ON AND SIT IN THE ENGINE BAY SORROUNDED BY INCHES OF METAL, THEN MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHY ENGINEERS PLACE BOXES FOR THE INTAKE, AND HAVE TUBES EXTENDING TO OTHER AREAS)
4. AIR UNDER HOOD IS MOVING (AT 70 MPH, TRY SITTING IN THE ENGINE BAY AND BREATHING. IT'S A VACUUM. NOW IMAGINE IF THE ONLY OXYGEN YOU GOT IS 100 DEGREES)

I don't even have a Volant yet, but I'm convinced just from photos, that the simple thoughts process gone through to create that intake is more well thought through than any other intakes I've seen. Essentially the Volant is like an upgraded version of the stock airbox. It protects from water. The better parts are the filter size and intake space.

Guys, one of the 4 cycles of the engine is completly being restricted because of this. If their's an open and mass-produced way to fix your problem, then it's probably a good choice. I've had several people tell me that Nissan intakes and exhaust setups are known for being restrictive, and this is a perfect example.

#646541 - 25/03/05 04:48 PM Re: Volant
Xterradon Offline

Yes, the stock air filter is restrictive compared to performance aftermarket. Reason being, is that anything less restrictive than paper elements is going to let particulates by.

Yes, openings are restrictive, turbulant airflow creates more friction than laminar airflow. The more openings air has to pass through, the more turbulance will be present, restricting flow.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just feel, and it seems rather obvious (until someone posts dyno runs) that you can obtain the same result with a Volant intake, as the stock airbox with a less restrictive replacement air filter (like a K&N). Surface area of the element is increased, but the amount of air passing through it is not.

This is not beating a dead horse, it is just conversation, a presention of facts and opinions and welcoming others to chime in. smile

#646542 - 28/03/05 04:23 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:
I just looked at mine, and that third tube goes to a sensor, or something on top of the power steering pump and from there goes over into the intake manifold. Mine is a little differnt, but only #2 goes into the Volant air intake.

Hope that helps.
Found it! Yes that helped. I haven't hooked it up yet, but here's an overhead view of the tube where the #3 line would connect.

#646543 - 28/03/05 04:34 PM Re: Volant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great! Glad that helped.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal