2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646671 - 07/02/07 02:31 PM supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have recently put a few mods on my 2004 s/c xterra, i put on the K&N air intake, and i also put on a smaler pulley, the stock pulley is 2.6" and the one i put on is now 2.35" I can totally feel the difference, im estimating that the whole thing probably added anywhere from 40-50 horses, and i love it. and i also now have this high pitched winding noise now..it actually sounds like im driving a ford lightning. but i was wondering if anyone has done this before and has had any problems with the supercharger or drivetrain

#646672 - 07/02/07 03:15 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that swapping the SC pulley is SUPER common, but I don't know if anyone has experienced any trouble with the drivetrain after doing it. I can't imagine it would cause any problems.

I seriously doubt it added 40 - 50 horses though. A buddy of mine swapped the pulley on his supercharged Mustang GT and it only added around 30 horses, and he had 300 to start with. You maybe got 20 - 30 horses out of the pulley and intake. That's still respectable though! laugh

#646673 - 09/02/07 04:17 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would say that 10 to 15 additional horsepower would be more realistic. A supercharger can add a 25% increase in power but I doubt that the smaller pulley alone would do that. The charger on the X increases the 3.3's output by only 15% on the top end and 18% on the low end.
The down side to the smaller pulley is that your supercharger and it's bearing have a lifespan. The faster you turn the charger the faster it is aging. Enjoy the additional power for a season but expect repairs down the road. I tried the smaller pulley thing on my Mustang and met with repairs that sucked.

#646674 - 09/02/07 06:36 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

The drive train can take pretty much whatever a vg33 can throw at it, naturally aspirated or forced induction. The manual tranny is quite a bit stronger than the auto, but the rear end is bullet proof and take a look @ the driveshaft...it'll be hard to bust.

[Wave]

#646675 - 09/02/07 07:53 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
The manual tranny is quite a bit stronger than the auto
[Wave]
[Freak] [Freak] [Freak] Really? Where did you read that?

#646676 - 10/02/07 10:59 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i know the teflon wears on the screws or whatever the technical name is for the parts in the charger, which is what my roomate said (big mustang buff, who helped me install the parts. But before i bought the parts i talked to a sales rep for the smaller pulley from south florida pulleys and he said they have dyno tested it and it adds 26 hp without out re-tuning it, he said i could prolly re-tune or add some dumb chip or whatever but the cost wasnt worth it. But the cold air intake i bought from k&n said it increased hp by 12 and of course they also said it was dyno'd and the parts came with a print out, but im not sure if thats all just garbage they say to get you to buy it, but whatever. I know there will be some repairs down the road with the supercharger and the lifespan of it, but the charger, which i looked up on ebay was only $400 brand new so its almost like why not do it. I guess i was just wondering if anyone else has done it and can maybe give me more info on how it went

#646677 - 11/02/07 07:46 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

where can u get this new pully kit?

#646678 - 11/02/07 08:06 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:
Quote:
[b] The manual tranny is quite a bit stronger than the auto
[Wave]
[Freak] [Freak] [Freak] Really? Where did you read that?[/b]
Perhaps I should have typed ...is a bit stronger... laugh Second hand experience via GrandpaX.

#646679 - 11/02/07 10:14 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnybananas:
well i know the teflon wears on the screws or whatever the technical name is for the parts in the charger, which is what my roomate said (big mustang buff, who helped me install the parts.....I know there will be some repairs down the road with the supercharger and the lifespan of it, but the charger, which i looked up on ebay was only $400 brand new so its almost like why not do it. I guess i was just wondering if anyone else has done it and can maybe give me more info on how it went
As far as lifespan goes? I read somewhere either on the net or even in a thread here about changing the supercharger gear oil every XXXX miles. Does this apply to X, is there even a drain port or fill port? Just curious because after a brief inspection of my supercharger, the only way it seems possible is to take the whole damn thing apart!

#646680 - 12/02/07 10:00 AM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.pulleyboys.com/nissan.html

If I could do it again I would get the quick change. The pressed on one was a PITA to get off. I did not buy the puller tool WHICH IS A MUST and decided to fab and weld up my own. It worked but man is this thing on there.

It does make a big difference, you can feel it, but by no means does it turn your X into a rocket. The 2.3" takes your truck from 4lbs to 10lbs of boost.

#646681 - 12/02/07 10:01 AM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just make sure to ALWAYS use premium after this mod and it doesn't hurt to bump the timing just to be safe. It will whine out more and is louder, but no harm done. Good mod for the money.

#646682 - 12/02/07 09:55 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx 4x4:
basically what i did was run a search for xterra supercharger pulleys the site i came across was south florida pulley's..they were the only site that i found that sold a 2.35 pulley otherwise you have a choice between 2.4 and 2.3 and from what i have read everyone was saying that without a cold air kit they have had problems with overheating the supercharger

#646683 - 12/02/07 10:01 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by SupaXSE:
[QB]If I could do it again I would get the quick change. The pressed on one was a PITA to get off. I did not buy the puller tool WHICH IS A MUST and decided to fab and weld up my own. It worked but man is this thing on there. QB]
they are all press on pulleys for the supercharger on the X...or am i wrong?? When i did mine we just rented the tool...a hell of alot cheaper than buying it..and to make it easier you just add a little heat to the pulley with a little propane torch and with the pressure of the puller on the pulley it just popped right off with out much effort

#646684 - 13/02/07 04:16 AM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

johnnybananas...IF you plan on doing any off-roading..you're going to regret that K&N..I too love the xtra HP and whine. but when it comes to me hitting a puddle, I seem to suck it up like a straw.....Can't tell you how many trail fires (controlled enviromental bitches) i've started to dry that thing out.

#646685 - 13/02/07 06:04 AM Re: supercharger
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
Alot of money spent for a gain of 15-18hp and the assurance of replacing the blower alot sooner. The pulley salesman was doing his job. Selling. I would love to see the dyno sheets that show a 26hp gain.
The stock blower on WOT is 7-8psi according to my gauge. The aftermarket pully might get it up to 12-14psi.
For the cost of the parts and subsequent blower replacement it's just not worth it. But hey, it's your truck so good luck.

#646686 - 13/02/07 06:33 AM Re: supercharger
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by SupaXSE:
Just make sure to ALWAYS use premium after this mod and it doesn't hurt to bump the timing just to be safe. It will whine out more and is louder, but no harm done. Good mod for the money.
I've been looking at doing this for a few years, just waiting to see long term opinions of it. How long ago did you do this and how many miles have you put on since thrn? Thanks!

#646687 - 13/02/07 06:58 AM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did this a year ago and have put on a little over 10K miles. NO PROBLEMS at all.

And yes, all the pulleys are press on. What I meant before when I said I wish I would have bought the one you can swap, you press on the main part and then it allows you to bolt on different size pulleys. - Quick change pulleys. I am also running a K&N drop in filter. The cold air kits are not good for off-roading. You will suck in water, mud etc. Not worth it. The drop in works fine.

http://www.pulleyboys.com/nissanqc.html

#646688 - 13/02/07 02:48 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

i did mine around like 14,000 miles ago...havent had a problem with it, the K&N i have to clean and oil it every so often, and with the air intake suckin in mud and water and stuff...i dont really do much off-roading though. i will tel you this though the stock xterra s/c really has no nuts whatsoever when you compare it to other vehicles in it's class, but after i put that pulley and the air intake on you could feel a huge difference, i actually raced a stck s/c one and i beat him by about 3-4 car lengths, so its definitly worth it.

#646689 - 13/02/07 03:33 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
i actually raced a stck s/c one and i beat him by about 3-4 car lengths, so its definitly worth it.
:rolleyes:

Welcome to XOC laugh

#646690 - 14/02/07 09:32 PM Re: supercharger
BigE515 Offline

Johnny and Supa, have you guys had any problems with boost drop/lag? I usually get about 7 PSI of boost but on soem really cold days the SC goe sinto safe mode and U get 3 PSI. I have had the knock sensor replaced already, that cured the problem for a while then it came back. I wnet bac to the dealer and I got the runaround from two different dealers. (the larger tires you installed are the problem and the aftermarket intake may be the problem)

#646691 - 14/02/07 09:32 PM Re: supercharger
BigE515 Offline

Johnny and Supa, have you guys had any problems with boost drop/lag? I usually get about 7 PSI of boost but on soem really cold days the SC goe sinto safe mode and U get 3 PSI. I have had the knock sensor replaced already, that cured the problem for a while then it came back. I wnet bac to the dealer and I got the runaround from two different dealers. (the larger tires you installed are the problem and the aftermarket intake may be the problem)

#646692 - 15/02/07 04:20 AM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
[b] i actually raced a stck s/c one and i beat him by about 3-4 car lengths, so its definitly worth it.
:rolleyes:

Welcome to XOC laugh [/b]
[Spit]

#646693 - 15/02/07 08:09 AM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

bpc, you wanna race for pinks? We should go on the show on speed channel. [LOL]

"Supa by 5 lengths with a 23 second run in the 1/4 mile" [LOL]

I have not had any problems with lag. I used to romp on it a lot more before I threw on the 33's. Now there is a lot more weight to pull and turn. It just comes in handy when I need the power, passing people, getting out of situations, etc.

You have to remember, these are still trucks, not ricers or race cars. I f-ing hate when civics pull up and see "SuperCharged" on my tailgate and want to race. I have spanked a few though last summer and then laughed when we stopped at the next light. Having the boost gauge on the oh-shit handle doesn't help the situation either.

#646694 - 19/02/07 09:25 PM Re: supercharger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
honestly big E i couldnt tell you, i havent yet installed the boost guage yet, i have in sitting on the shelf in my garage but havent had ample time to install it, but through just the feel of the throttle when i floor it i do notice that during different weather conditions its feels different..but i will let you know when i do put it in

#646695 - 08/03/07 11:33 AM Re: supercharger
ayellowone Offline

Loc: PA
I was under the impression the auto was quite a bit stronger than the manual tranny since the towing capacity of a manual is 3000lbs and the towing capacity of an auto is 5000lbs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:
[b]
Quote:
[b] The manual tranny is quite a bit stronger than the auto
[Wave]
[Freak] [Freak] [Freak] Really? Where did you read that?[/b]
Perhaps I should have typed ...is a bit stronger... laugh Second hand experience via GrandpaX.[/b]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal