Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#650811 - 26/12/03 07:24 PM help needed ASAP-truck died
yz250fguy Offline

Loc: churning dirt on earth
Xterra owners/lovers-
The wifes truck is acting up(2001 SE w/47000 miles). On christmas eve she was driving it, and it died on her. When the truck was restarted, it would run real rough, with the rpm's jumping around, last for about 10 seconds, and die again. Restarting it would get the same result, and if you tried to give it gas, it would still die. I went back an hour later after giving up, an it started and ran fine. Drove it home about 15 miles, parked it. I took it out for 2 five mile drives today, and it seemed fine. THe wife takes it to go shopping, and when she came back out, the same scenario. It would run real rough for 10 seconds and die. So now the truck is in a parking lot.
I used to frequent this message board a lot a while ago, but havent been back in ages. I am aware of the problem of the wires corroding going to the connector on the fuel pump that leaves people stranded. BUT, if this was the problem, I wouldnt hear the fuel pump priming for about 2seconds when the key is clicked to on, right? And it wouldnt get any gas to the engine for it to run like crap, right?
So what do you guys/girls think? Fuel filter? ANyone ever go through this before? ANy help would be appreciated.
To top it off, when looking under the hood the first time this happened, it looks like I have developed a head gasket leak in the last 2000 miles. Its on the drivers side. How common is this?
THanks,
Joe

#650812 - 26/12/03 08:00 PM Re: help needed ASAP-truck died
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Make sure all the connectors to all the sensors are on tight and all the hoses are hooked up tight.

There's alot of things it could be, check the ignition system and the fuel delivery systems the most. It could also be problems with the Computer controlling the fuel mixture, either sensors, wiring or the computer itself.

Xterra101.com

#650813 - 26/12/03 08:30 PM Re: help needed ASAP-truck died
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by yz250fguy:
Xterra owners/lovers-
The wifes truck is acting up(2001 SE w/47000 miles). On christmas eve she was driving it, and it died on her.
Sounds like the fuel sending unit frown

Check this thread (click me)
And this thread too (click me) - has pictures

Search problems and annoyances forum for several more threads

Good luck!

#650814 - 26/12/03 09:17 PM Re: help needed ASAP-truck died
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
The coughing and sputtering engine might be related to the head gasket leak. I had this happen on our Toyota van when it had a blown head gasket. Maybe some of the coolant was leaking back into the engine. When the head gasket was replaced, the problem was solved.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal