2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#650938 - 11/09/03 09:33 AM BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whats up Ya'll!!!

I went 4wheeling last year & ran over a rather large boulder...end result...

1). Smashed gas tank
2). Bad frame clanking-type sound when I turn left (you can feel it in the drivers seat like its right under you)
3). Scrapes in the metal/ dents in the protective undercarrage sheilds.

But the BITCH can still drive......WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!! I can only fill the tank up to 14.6 gallons.

What can be done if it is a cracked crossmember, welding/warranty work/etc....???

Let me know Guys, & thanks for your help!!!

#650939 - 11/09/03 09:56 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Slow the F down.

You must have been trying to be the Dukes of Hazzard to do something like that.

Aside from not having brakes and/or the throttle being stuck I can not think of a reason that someone would need to be going so fast down a trail to cause that much damage.

As for repair. I would replace not weld the cross member

And if it took you a year to figure out that the damage was there. Why bother fixing it now?

#650940 - 11/09/03 10:14 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Jesus Christ! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you didn't take out the oil pan and transmission.

Why do people think there's even a chance of warranty coverage on damage they cause?

#650941 - 11/09/03 10:30 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
yeah man,
downright abuse of a vehicle is not covered under a warranty that is supposed to supplement defects due to manufacturing processes. if you had a snowball's chance in hell of getting that fixed under warranty at whatever dealership you are talking to, let me know because i have seen this one wall i want to run over the top of to see if it cracks my truck in half. and if the warranty covers your damage, i should be set.
david

#650942 - 11/09/03 11:42 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Damn, and I thought my gas tank was beat up! They're pretty damn tough though huh?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#650943 - 11/09/03 02:33 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you think would be the best way to remove the tank/crossmember/etc..(some of them look bent) & things to avoid when im doing it.

:rolleyes: Calm down you guys, shit happens...Dont act like ya'll havent fuct up one time ore another..especially in your X.

I already knew it had damage as soon as it happened its just for the last couple of months my wife has been wanting to trade it in for a sedan or some shit & with the X having under carrage damage doesnt help when I tell her I want to keep it. (I also have a 01' S10 that is almost finished being totaly customized (25K Invested) so I dont have that much room to put my foot down on this one)

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

#650944 - 11/09/03 11:16 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Calm down you guys, shit happens...Dont act like ya'll havent fuct up one time ore another..especially in your X.
Actually I can say that I have not. Speed and offroading do not mix. Your type of damage only indicates speed and poor driving. At stock height I have no dings or dents in my underbody. Some scratches yes but no dents.

I am glad you will be trading in your X. One less dangerous wheeler that makes all of us look bad off the trails.

#650945 - 12/09/03 06:13 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gotta say it, I'm sorry, but I've been 4-wheeling since I was young, this is the worst damage I've seen on a frame. Yeah, we've had gas tanks get bumped - but not the crossmember, not to that extent. And before my X, I've had other trucks with lower ground clearance that that's never happened to.

I'd be leary of that crossmember folding if you were ever in a serious accident. Yeah, I'd take the wife's point of view, only thing is, is if you go to trade that thing in and the dealer happens to see it, they're not gonna want it.

#650946 - 12/09/03 07:19 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll go on record as agreeing with River Blue with one exception that I know will piss off all of those who think "well, it's your fault if you don't look, blah,blah,blah.

You have no business trading that truck in with that type of frame damage regardless of whether the dealer catches it or not. The frame structure is compromised and in a heavy accident someone could be seriously injured.

Even barring injury issues, I personally have a problem with sticking someone else with a problem that I know about.

Nothing cheeses me off more than buying something, getting it home and then finding out that someone else previously had it and screwed it up and then returned it so I could get stuck dealing with it.

Best examples would be stuff from Frys or Best Buy, can I get an Amen on that?!

#650947 - 12/09/03 09:50 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hartwig:
Quote:
Calm down you guys, shit happens...Dont act like ya'll havent fuct up one time ore another..especially in your X.
Actually I can say that I have not. Speed and offroading do not mix. Your type of damage only indicates speed and poor driving. At stock height I have no dings or dents in my underbody. Some scratches yes but no dents.

I am glad you will be trading in your X. One less dangerous wheeler that makes all of us look bad off the trails.
Thats funny...you are quoted right out of this issue, nice sweater.... [LOL]

Dont front like your MR. flawless...Whats the point of posting to help out or to sound all high & mighty???...give me a break. I dont see you making comments about anyone else having thier X or other 4x4 out roughing it up or loosing traction...Basically having fun.

Either help with the situation, or STFU!!! [Wave]

#650948 - 12/09/03 09:53 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Besides....Where was it ever said I was speeding...I just didnt see it. You guys act like pricks right away.

Ease up a bit. smile

#650949 - 12/09/03 11:40 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Man a bunch of people have their panties in a bunch. I did something similar to my gas tank. I ended up rolling a rock under the tank so that the weight of the rear end was resting on the gas tank. Luckily I only lost about a gallon.

You can try to pop out most of the dent in the tank. Pull it off and you should be able to get your hand or a 2x4 into the hole for the fuel pickup. Push from the inside and it should pop out. By the way, don't smoke around it smile gas vapors are easy to ignite.

If you end up keeping your X for a while, I'd invest in a Calmini skid for the tank. Otherwise, see if you can find one in a junk yard. The Calmini skid is not 100% protection. I've manged to dent my Calmini skid.

#650950 - 12/09/03 11:49 AM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy:
Besides....Where was it ever said I was speeding...I just didnt see it. You guys act like pricks right away.

Ease up a bit. smile
By the way I gave you a 5 for the "Whipped" That thing cracks me up every time I see it.

#650951 - 12/09/03 12:02 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

Thats funny...you are quoted right out of this issue, nice sweater.... [LOL]

Dont front like your MR. flawless...Whats the point of posting to help out or to sound all high & mighty???...give me a break. I dont see you making comments about anyone else having thier X or other 4x4 out roughing it up or loosing traction...Basically having fun.

Either help with the situation, or STFU!!! [Wave] [/b]
Kind of funny but not realy. Actually I will give someone else shit for wrecking their trucks by being carless. If you had been on this board for more than a week you would see that. I never said I was high and mighty as I have scratches in my body and a few small dings from stuff I made a mistake on. No one is perfect. Your type of damage is carless and your attitute shows just how immature you really are. It seems others agree with me as your 12 votes make you a 1.

#650952 - 12/09/03 12:07 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
Man a bunch of people have their panties in a bunch. I did something similar to my gas tank. I ended up rolling a rock under the tank so that the weight of the rear end was resting on the gas tank. Luckily I only lost about a gallon.
No offense Steve but I have wheeled with you and you like to power over and through trails which is where some of your damage comes from. The other is you pushing your Xterra harder than I would. Are you wrong for doing that? No it is your Xterra. That is fine with me and I don't want you to take this in a negative way as I have learned a great deal from you in wheeling and mechanics. However, his kind of damage comes from speed and carelessness. My problem is he even thought of using it as warranty work. You want to wheel hard and tear up your stuff I could care less. But don't try and stick it to the dealer when you fucked up your own shit. It raises prices and makes it harder for those that actualy have a factory defect to get it replaced.

#650953 - 12/09/03 12:54 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
I gave "DADDY" a 5 so all will know he's the man for X advice. (He truly eminates the women / girl loving attitude we all want to get branded with....What a F'n Dick Slapper)

#650954 - 12/09/03 01:00 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
[b]Man a bunch of people have their panties in a bunch. I did something similar to my gas tank. I ended up rolling a rock under the tank so that the weight of the rear end was resting on the gas tank. Luckily I only lost about a gallon.
No offense Steve but I have wheeled with you and you like to power over and through trails which is where some of your damage comes from. The other is you pushing your Xterra harder than I would. Are you wrong for doing that? No it is your Xterra. That is fine with me and I don't want you to take this in a negative way as I have learned a great deal from you in wheeling and mechanics. However, his kind of damage comes from speed and carelessness. My problem is he even thought of using it as warranty work. You want to wheel hard and tear up your stuff I could care less. But don't try and stick it to the dealer when you fucked up your own shit. It raises prices and makes it harder for those that actualy have a factory defect to get it replaced.[/b]
Paul,
His damage looks just like damage I've done at near zero speeds. It's not always speed or inexperience, sometimes it's the trail, like in the case of Ian's rear quarter panel. I believe in this case he was going too fast. I'll bet he even realized it as soon as he smacked his tank. Why the holier than thou attitude? Do you have the need to feel superior? Your's is the first completely derogetory post in the thread. Most everyone at least said good luck, but don't count on the warranty.

As far as trying to claim warranty work. Why don't you ask HXOC how many alternators they've had replaced under warranty. I've had things fix twice in the first 3 months I had my truck for emissions problems, but nothing offroad related. I'm not good at lieing in someone's face so I haven't tried. In Daddy's case it's obvious damage cause by the owner and not a failure of the truck. If he can get it fixed under warranty, I'm moving. I got a lot of work for 'em. They will educate him (or laugh at him) when he tries to claim it. It's something a newbie has to learn for himself.

Daddy,
The damage to the frame looks cosmetic to me. I think mine is worse, but photos don't always do it justice. Find a frame or alignment shop and ask for an estimate. The dealer is the last place I'd go for specialized work. The gas tank it's try to fix it like I said above or replace it. It's something you can do in your driveway.

#650955 - 12/09/03 01:49 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Aero...I knew this could happen to anyone. especially MR. "Never done anything wrong in my Xterra"

Im glad im not the only one seeing this stupidity towards me & being singled out for un-based opinions & false personal standings (YES THAT MEANS YOU GUYS Paul Hartwig & BonerTX)

I CAME TO THIS WEBSITE TO COLLECT & SHARE INFORMATION...NOT TO HEAR WHINY MEN BITCH & COMPLAIN [Crybaby] ....LIKE I SAID...IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO POST SOMETHING USEFULL...

THEN SHUT YOUR MOUTH & MOVE ON!!!! [Finger]

Like I give a Paul Hartwig what you vote me...Mr High & Mighty...You dont even know WTF happened.

#650956 - 12/09/03 01:56 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just really would like to stress...that people like mr Hartwig & some others here make a forum completely contradict itself....Why would anyone come to a website for information & assistance....

WHEN ALL YOU RECEIVE IS HARRASMENT & RIDICULE???

Please understand, you yourself are making a bad perception of what a "forum" really is, & even more importantly what XOC is....

Thanks!!!

#650957 - 12/09/03 02:01 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Thanks Aero...I knew this could happen to anyone. especially MR. "Never done anything wrong in my Xterra"

[b]"Im glad im not the only one seeing this stupidity towards me & being singled out for un-based opinions & false personal standings (YES THAT MEANS YOU GUYS Paul Hartwig & BonerTX) "

I CAME TO THIS WEBSITE TO COLLECT & SHARE INFORMATION...NOT TO HEAR WHINY MEN BITCH & COMPLAIN [Crybaby] ....LIKE I SAID...IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO POST SOMETHING USEFULL...

THEN SHUT YOUR MOUTH & MOVE ON!!!! [Finger]

Like I give a Paul Hartwig what you vote me...Mr High & Mighty...You dont even know WTF happened.[/b]
I have highlighted your comment saying my statement is un-founded. Can't imagine how you could say that...Oh that's right, this is the X smasher talking ...that's right.

I could really care less about your damage or how you got it but your sig is rediculously out of control....I hunt for MFr's just like you.

#650958 - 12/09/03 02:06 PM Re: BROKEN CROSSMEMBER
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Daddy -
You opened a can of worms. Reaction was bound to be mixed. If you do not like the results, YOU can move on!
Have anything else derogatory to say? As moderator, I'm locking this thread. Want to go further? I'll delete any of your verbal diarrhea.

dave and xtoy - take it like a man

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal