Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#652072 - 20/06/01 09:52 PM Throttle Body
Zaskoda Offline

Loc: Austin, TX 2000 Green XE M...
The dealership wants 80 bucks to adjust my fuel injection and clean my throttle body for a 15k tune up. (I'm at 22 now)... How hard can it be to clean a throttle body? Has anyone done this?

------------------
Zaskoda of Shobék
------------------

#652073 - 20/06/01 10:33 PM Re: Throttle Body
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
They are trying to rip you off. Only allow them to do what's called out in the maintenance schedule, anything else should be warranty.

You should really use another dealer if possible now that you understand how they operate. At least report what happened to the relevant state consumer office. It's sad that it's the year 2001 and these scams still persist.

------------------

#652074 - 21/06/01 08:19 AM Re: Throttle Body
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Or, if you can deal without your truck for a week, send that throttle body to SLR and have 'em widen it for you which would also serve to "clean it" since I think they bore it out...

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow

#652075 - 21/06/01 09:36 PM Re: Throttle Body
pukaterra Offline

Loc: Left coast
What a rip off. Read your owners Manual. Section 8 and 9. Know it, and follow it and you will have covered you butt. If your even a little handy you can do most of the work yourself. But I would not try changeing your timeing belt a 105k miles.

------------------

#652076 - 22/06/01 06:03 AM Re: Throttle Body
XDriven Offline

Loc: Worcester,MA
Adjust your feul injection? Thats a good one.

------------------
2K1 XE Silver Ice 4x4
2 pack
Find all you need in your mind if you take the time. -DT

#652077 - 13/08/01 11:52 AM Re: Throttle Body
brett Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Just had the throttle body cleaned at my 30k
service. $38.00 cool

#652078 - 13/08/01 04:18 PM Re: Throttle Body
Rev'n X Offline

Loc: Milton, WI 53563
Quote:
Originally posted by Zaskoda:
The dealership wants 80 bucks to adjust my fuel injection and clean my throttle body for a 15k tune up. (I'm at 22 now)... How hard can it be to clean a throttle body? Has anyone done this?

Amounts to spraying carb cleaner in the throttle body to make sure its free and clean. A can of the stuff runs about $3. Nissan also makes some excellent in tank injector cleaner for about $14 that doesn't hurt every 10k miles. Thats the route I'd take.

There is a setup that takes pressurized injector cleaner and runs it through the injection system. It involves taking the fuel line off and attaching a special contraption to make the engine run off the contents of the can. I don't think that is necessary at 22k miles.

#652079 - 14/08/01 02:45 AM Re: Throttle Body
Anonymous
Unregistered

Run good gas and you don't have to worry about injector cleaners. I have owned fuel injected cars for the last 8 years and have never replaced or cleaned an injector nor had one clog up. And considering how anally retentive I am about maintenance, that says a lot.

#652080 - 14/08/01 08:00 AM Re: Throttle Body
JohnA Offline

Loc: Central Tejas
Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger:
Run good gas and you don't have to worry about injector cleaners. I have owned fuel injected cars for the last 8 years and have never replaced or cleaned an injector nor had one clog up. And considering how anally retentive I am about maintenance, that says a lot.

That sounds like pretty good advice to me, too. I put 200K (!) on a fuel-injected Cherokee & had only one instance of injector clogging. Used an injector cleaner additive in the fuel for a couple of tankfuls & never had the problem again. To me, good gas + Mobil 1 synth oil = happy engine.

YMMV, of course. ;-)

"Give me an army of West Point grads and I'll win a battle;
give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war."
- General George S. Patton

#652081 - 14/08/01 08:01 AM Re: Throttle Body
JohnA Offline

Loc: Central Tejas
Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger:

That sounds like pretty good advice to me, too. I put 200K (!) on a fuel-injected Cherokee & had only one instance of injector clogging. Used an injector cleaner additive in the fuel for a couple of tankfuls & never had the problem again. To me, good gas + Mobil 1 synth oil = happy engine.

YMMV, of course. ;-)

"Give me an army of West Point grads and I'll win a battle;
give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war."
- General George S. Patton

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal