Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65653 - 06/06/05 02:38 PM Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got them today and when I installed them, they just spun on the Load warrior and let the jack kinda sag at a 45degree angle. No matter how tight I made the bolts, they would not hold. Finally took the whole thing apart and put a mountain bike tube between the two plastic pieces and tightened everything down. It is 100% better. Just wanted to help save somone else the frustration. Also, watch the jack, when it falls, it puts a hell of a dent in your roof, OUCH!

#65654 - 06/06/05 02:41 PM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

you wouldn't happen to have a pic, would you? I've been thinking about picking up a set of those mounts.

Question, did you situate the jack inside or outside of the basket? I'm a little leery about sticking the jack on the outside just in case something bizarre happens and the damn thing falls off.

#65655 - 06/06/05 02:45 PM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll try to get some pics, but it will take a while, have to take pics and get them put on CD to get them on the computer. No digital cam yet. Would rather have new UCAs. They won't work on the inside that I can see. The only way that the jack would fall is if the bolts holding the jack back out, there are two of them and they are lock washered, or if the mounts broke all together and they are pretty stout.

#65656 - 06/06/05 04:15 PM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. After having a bike wheel fly off on the freeway once that hit a suburban, now I'm in the habit of bolting and strapping the hell out of everything that goes on the roof.

I'm sure bolting it on the outside is fine, otherwise the Yak engineers wouldn't have done it that way. I'm just being paranoid 'cause I'm sober laugh

#65657 - 07/06/05 12:10 AM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use the Black Diamond 4x4 mounts:

Avaliable from: http://www.blackdiamondracing.com/

You must specify 2" tubing to fit the Xterra rack.

#65658 - 07/06/05 08:05 AM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Quote:
Originally posted by MEA:
[QB]I just got them today and when I installed them, they just spun on the Load warrior and let the jack kinda sag at a 45degree angle. No matter how tight I made the bolts, they would not hold.QB]
The yakima Hi Lift mounts have a t-slot cut into the plastic pieces which is suppose to fit between the horizontal and one of the vertical bars of the rack which is suppose to stop it from sagging. are you sure you have it mounted correct? I've had mine on for the past 3 years with no problems.

#65659 - 07/06/05 08:54 AM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Ditto what Pinoy said. I think you may be missing a part or installed wrong. Mine work great and have since day 1.

#65660 - 07/06/05 09:11 AM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pinoy
You are the man! I, on the other hand am a total idiot. The picture on the directions looked like it went between the vertical bars. Switched it and it is rock solid. I did find it easier to mount the rear one, put the jack on the rear mount and while someone supports the jack, mount the front to line up the holes in the jack w/ the front mount. Thanks again guys!

#65661 - 07/06/05 09:13 AM Re: Yakima hi-lift jack mounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

What type of lock are you guys using? I have tried two Master locks and the shackle is not long or wide enough. I have been trying to go with the outdoor/weather resistant types.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal