Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#657405 - 16/05/05 09:59 AM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been using Fram ToughGuard oil filters because it is much easier for me to get to AutoZone then it is to get to a dealership. But when I am near one (and am thinking about it) I will buy the Nissan filter.

I've been using Valvoline 5w-30 motor oil.

FYI: the metal mount around where the filter goes is VERY sharp. Be careful when wiping it with the paper towel. If your finger catches the outside of it you will feel like you received a paper cut -- only the dirt and oil make it worse.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

6) Use a paper towel or two to clean off the mount where the filter goes.

#657406 - 16/05/05 08:54 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would recommend some searches on Fram. Not too many speak highly (or even decently) of them. Mainly, low filter surface area and crappy anti-drainback valve.

oil filter study

#657407 - 26/05/05 09:52 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by sirscroddy:
What does everybody recommend for:
1) brand of oil filter
2) brand of oil?

And how often do you change it?
1) SuperTech oil filters from walmart ($2)
2) Whatever is on sale

Change it every 3000-4000 miles. Done this for many years with no problems.

#657408 - 05/06/05 01:19 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally got around to changing my own oil today. It was a liberating experience.

However, I ran into one problem. 2 of the 6 bolts that hold the splash guard in place broke when I was loosening them. I also noticed that the dealer must have done this at one point as well because there was a broken bolt still in its threads from a previous oil change.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#657409 - 05/06/05 01:31 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Just changed the oil on my wife's X (2004 - 7500 mile interval) and my X (2002 - 75000 mile interval) last night. I've got it down to a science now. I did my last change on my truck in the dark, and it was fairly dark when I did the change on my wife's truck last night.

I start the oil draining and move to the skid plate. Once it is off and the oil flow has pretty well stopped, I move back and reinstall the drain plug, slide the drain pan forward and do the filter. Pop the skid plate back on and move to the top to fill the crankcase back up. Run engine until oil light goes off, turn off engine. Put everything away, then check the oil level once more for good measure. Close hood, drink beverage.

Only thing I would have done different this last change is to have waited until I got to the auto parts store to buy the oil. I typically get oil at WalMart, then filters and everything else I need at Advance Auto. When I got to Advance, they were running Castrol oil (what I had just bought at WalMart for $1.99 a quart) for $1.48 a quart. Doh!

#657410 - 05/06/05 03:21 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

i just changed mine a couple days ago- and my 2000 v6 only took 3 quarts and it looked to be past the 'full' mark on the dipstick.. hmmmm confused

the upside: thank you Nissan for placing the filter on the bottom of the engine instead of the side like most domestics Ive owned! makes for such an easier change..

#657411 - 05/06/05 06:49 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

whitenblue: Did you put oil in the filter before you installed it, or if not, did you run the engine then wait a couple of minutes before you tried to check the level. If you didn't run the engine first the filter would be empty and 3 quarts would look right, but you would then be low after you start the engine and the filter fills up. And yes the dipstick is the most difficult one I have ever tried to read.

#657412 - 06/06/05 04:39 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil R:
I finally got around to changing my own oil today. It was a liberating experience.

However, I ran into one problem. 2 of the 6 bolts that hold the splash guard in place broke when I was loosening them. I also noticed that the dealer must have done this at one point as well because there was a broken bolt still in its threads from a previous oil change.

Oh, yes, very common. Get a set of screw extractors next time you're at Sears and you can work the broken pieces out and replace with new. Also, put a dab of anti-seize on each bolt and you'll have no problem in the future. Just put them in hand tight, no need to crank them down to death.

#657413 - 06/06/05 04:57 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by silverxglider:
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil R:
[b]I finally got around to changing my own oil today. It was a liberating experience.

Oh, yes, very common. Get a set of screw extractors next time you're at Sears and you can work the broken pieces out and replace with new. Also, put a dab of anti-seize on each bolt and you'll have no problem in the future. Just put them in hand tight, no need to crank them down to death.[/b]
Thanks!

#657414 - 19/06/05 03:48 PM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to this thread, I did my own oil change for the first time in my life; on my new (to me) 2K X. It was a snap. I was going to go to the local low-cost lube joint, but balked when they told me that a synthetic change would cost not 14.99 as-advertized, but 59.99 instead. I laughed at the guy, then got myself slightly grubby.

There is nothing to it. No bolts sheared, no spills, and it cost me less than $25 for 3.5 qts of Mobile 1 + a K&N filter... all that in less than 30 minutes.

#657415 - 26/06/05 09:07 AM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody use a Fumoto valve? http://www.fumotovalve.com/

#657416 - 26/06/05 09:21 AM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by nategreer:
and crappy anti-drainback valve.
Hmm, for some reason I don't think we need to worry about anti-dranback (at least on the 00-04 Xterra's)

#657417 - 26/06/05 09:26 AM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by nuxterra4me:
Anybody use a Fumoto valve?
I considered it, but decided it wasn't that big of a deal to take the plug out - plus I don't think it will drain as fully.

#657418 - 26/06/05 09:46 AM Re: To anyone who does not change their oil –
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had one on my F250 6.0. With 15 quarts of oil, it made a big difference to empty directly into my waste oil containers. Never spilled a drop. Fumoto claims that the valve doesn't intrude into the pan and not let all the oil out. I didn't get oil on my hands taking the plug out with the Fumoto.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal