Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#657859 - 01/01/08 04:53 AM xterra won't start
caymann Offline

Loc: Bedford,NH,USA
This is a year 2000 xterra 4wd

When i turn on the keys, all i hear is a click noise followed by silence, but the xterra is not starting.

I thought this must be the battery so i got help to jump it from another truck. It still won't start. Just clicks.

Any ideas as to what should i be looking into?

#657860 - 01/01/08 06:27 AM Re: xterra won't start
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, what should you be looking into. You should look into 3 things.

First you should be looking into your clamps for tightness. if you do not already have them, look into buying some heavy duty marine brass clamps. I tell everyone this. Once I put the clamps on mine, no problems starting at all. good stuff.

Second, you should look into a very technical tool called a BFH. BFH is Big Fuckin Hammer. Seriously, I know this might sound weird, but get under your truck and smack the starter once or thrice.

Third, make sure your terminals are clean. Use a cleaning tool for this, Also, purchase those felt "donuts" that you put around the terminal, and red and black terminal boots for the positive and negative respectively.

Good luck dude! You've got this. I hope it is a quick and easy job! I know how the NH winters are. Happy New Year my friends!

Later!-James

And thirdly,

#657861 - 01/01/08 06:29 AM Re: xterra won't start
Anonymous
Unregistered

Happy new year!!
I would look at your starter,8 years is when things seem to crap out.

#657862 - 01/01/08 06:56 AM Re: xterra won't start
caymann Offline

Loc: Bedford,NH,USA
i will check for battery post connections.
i did notice that all the headlights are working good. the stereo blasts just fine, indicating the battery is good. does that mean the terminals have good connections too?

#657863 - 01/01/08 07:04 AM Re: xterra won't start
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not neccessarily. It means that you have you have battry power though. They can still be cleaned off and the clamps ca be re-tightened. Try the BFH.

#657864 - 01/01/08 08:09 AM Re: xterra won't start
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please don't double post!!!

After checking the battery terminals and grounds as suggested above. Check the starter relay (I can't remember if Xs have one) and then check the starter solenoid. Your problem is likely to be one of those. Checking the terminals and connections is free so do that first.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal