Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#658652 - 19/09/01 11:53 AM For those who have had the front bumper off..
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
I noticed the other day that my fog light was misaligned. When I went to adjust it it moved quite freely. Looking underneath I noticed that there was a bolt hole for a bolt that seamed to be missing. I checked the other side, but that light too had no bolt, but seemed to be wedged between metal pieces of the bumper.

My question is, did you have a bolts holding the fog light in place? Or is there another mechanism that keeps it from turning left/right. It's tough to see under there and the driver side has the windshield washer container blocking my view from the wheel well.

Any info on how this is attached will be appreciated.

#658653 - 19/09/01 01:25 PM Re: For those who have had the front bumper off..
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
There is a wide piece of metal at the top of the bracket, about 8 inches long. It should have a bolt on both ends of it.

1 of the bolts (the one to the outside of the Xterra if I recall) gets rusty quickly and can weaken. When removing my lower valance (and the valance on another X), the bolts broke off when trying to remove them.

#658654 - 19/09/01 02:21 PM Re: For those who have had the front bumper off..
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
While we are on the topic of bumper removal, how do those rubber mounts on the ends of the lower part of the bumper adjust. One of my bumper ends sits lower than the other side. I loosend the nut on the mount, but can't figure out how it is supposed to adjust. I gather that if you have had the bumper off, this would be easy to figure out.

Thanks

#658655 - 19/09/01 05:32 PM Re: For those who have had the front bumper off..
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
A while back I hit a turkey at 65mph (yuk).
It did a lot more damage than I'd expect, including knocking the bumper way out of alignment.
As I remember the rubber mounts at the ends of the bumper have 5 slots in them and the mounting bracket can ride in any one of the 5 slots. Getting the bracket back into its original slot made my bumper level again.

#658656 - 19/09/01 07:45 PM Re: For those who have had the front bumper off..
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Chris, in front of the bumper at that rubber adjuster under a dust flap is a 10mm bolt you'll need to take out to adjust your bumper. I'll take a pic of my bumper since it is laying on my garage floor!

-Rick

#658657 - 20/09/01 04:35 AM Re: For those who have had the front bumper off..
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
I think I know about that 10mm bolt on that rubber mount. Had the bolt, (or was it a nut?), off last time I was trying to straighten my bumper, and I couldn't get anything to move. Do you have to remove the mount to adjust it?

#658658 - 20/09/01 10:56 AM Re: For those who have had the front bumper off..
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
There is a wide piece of metal at the top of the bracket, about 8 inches long. It should have a bolt on both ends of it.

1 of the bolts (the one to the outside of the Xterra if I recall) gets rusty quickly and can weaken. When removing my lower valance (and the valance on another X), the bolts broke off when trying to remove them.

I checked the bolts out, though not that rusty (only had the X since March) they were loose. I snugged them up but it did not help my problem.

It seems that the L-bracket that attaches the fog light to the 8" crossbar has lost whatever it was that kept it together. There's a hole for a bolt though, so it looks like I'm going to have to drop one in to keep the light from pivoting.

Thanks for the info.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a larger problem though. A few bolts were loose on the passenger side. A week ago, I found that passenger side stabilizer bar link was just rattling about, with only about an 1/2 inch of thread exposed at the top.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal