Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66539 - 22/03/03 12:34 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick L:
If looks aren't important, than why not just weld a big ass piece of I-beam to the front frame members instead of paying the bucks for a Calmini or ARB bumper?
Damn... I was actually thinking about doing that!!! [LOL]

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#66540 - 24/03/03 11:18 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Everyone seems to love the look of these sliders and they DO look cool but won't they be slicker than snot when wet or muddy? So they will be a great slider but not neccesarily a good place to stand on. This is where a square slider definitely has an advantage.

Dave

#66541 - 25/03/03 12:26 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Any painted steel will be slippery when wet.
Depending on how level the ground is where you're parked, a rectangular tube could have you sliding off easier than a round tube (if it's facing downhill).

A round tube always has one, and only one point of contact when you put a flat object like a shoe on it.

I still can't figure out why anyone ever wants to stand on a rock slider. They are body protection, not step rails.

If you need something to stand on, open the door. [Freak]

#66542 - 25/03/03 04:45 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
just put some grip tape on and you'll be good to go wink

#66543 - 25/03/03 05:05 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by dirty dee:
just put some grip tape on and you'll be good to go wink
Exactly what I was going to write... wink

#66544 - 25/03/03 09:07 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Just go to your local skate shop and you can buy what you need very cheap, different colors also.

#66545 - 25/03/03 09:34 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Good suggestions guys.

I've never had an issue slipping on tube. It seems to grip better to me than a large flat surface. Some people do like a little insurance though. The grip tape works great and is available at Home Depot in various widths. Here is a pic from an Isuzu customer. I kinda like the narrower 1" width. This is 2" I believe.

I usually just step over the bars onto the door sill driving around town. When the step aspect is really handy though is offroad. If you get into something nasty and your truck starts teetering, someone can quickly hop on the high side to help keep you from going over. I've been saved from a flop this way many times.

#66546 - 25/03/03 12:47 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
So does the rectangular part of this slider go directly under the pinch seam? Is it touching the pinch seam? I was concerned about it rattling against it.

Dave

#66547 - 25/03/03 09:10 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
The square tube is just outboard of the pinch seam. The support legs are about 1/8" under it, so we notched my pinch seams above the supports. With the sliders in place, you can't even see it. Shrock has some pix we took of the process - maybe he can post 'em for you. Basically, a small cutoff wheel was used to cut two vertical slits over each support, then a rubber mallet and steel bar were used to fold the cut sections up and back beneath the truck. I used some Nissan touchup paint on the cut edges to prevent rust.

A word of caution to those of you who use the 3M non-skid tape - be sure to apply it under warm conditions so that it can adhere and conform to the bar really good. I applied mine and (as Houston tends to do) the weather got cold over the next couple of days and the edges started to lift. I ended up removing them and I'm holding off until it's nice and toasty out (another Houston tendency) before I buy any more tape. I'd be interested to hear of similar experiences with non-skid tape, or suggestions on any application techniques.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal