Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66489 - 23/02/03 11:08 PM New Sliders by Shrockworks
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Well its been a while, but I have been in contact with Jim over at Shrockworks, and he has been developing sliders for the Xterra. They came out very nice, although I promised that I wouldnt post any of the pics he sent me, the sliders will be available soon SHROCKWORKS and will be priced reasonably.

#66490 - 23/02/03 11:44 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
i'm in the process of buying some sliders. too bad he doesn't have any close-up pics or specific stats, or i might wait for them (they're supposed to be out in a few days).
is there antoher site regarding these sliders?

#66491 - 25/02/03 06:12 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Get us some pics and prices cause I'm in the market to get some sliders...

#66492 - 26/02/03 05:50 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
therob Offline

#66493 - 26/02/03 05:54 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Wow let me state very clearly that these look awesome. Now I want to add that outside tube to my calmini sliders. How bout asking if he can do those tubes as a weld on addition.

#66494 - 26/02/03 06:12 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
greg2505 Offline

Loc: Rep. of Texas/Afghanistan/Kuwa...
therob check PM

#66495 - 26/02/03 06:49 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
ClaptoVaughn Offline

his website says they're ready to ship on feb 26...well??? smile
how would we order anyways? his site looks like it's just for pictures.

#66496 - 27/02/03 12:41 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
therob Offline

The price is 348.00 plus shipping, 50 bucks I think. Seem Well worth it.

#66497 - 27/02/03 12:45 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
therob Offline

#66498 - 27/02/03 11:56 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Rick L Offline

Loc: Houston
I worked with Jim to prototype the sliders you see pictured on my SE. I have submitted a review on the "ShrockBars" to the XOC site, which should appear shortly. I can tell you that they are a perfect fit, built like a brick $^#%house, and they look great on my truck. The tubing and steel that Jim uses is much thicker than some of the competing products and the bars have been designed with strength in mind (as well as appearance). Jim is ready to start shipping as soon as he gets some orders. I promise you won't be disappointed with the products. Keep an eye out for new XTerra stuff from Shrockworks. The next item we're looking at is a laser-cut front skid plate designed to fit the ARB Bull Bar. If any of you are interested, reply here and I'll get some pricing info posted. Also, if you have any ideas for a product you'd like to see, let me know.

#66499 - 27/02/03 12:47 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Mmm, those do look nice. A little pricey, but not too bad.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#66500 - 27/02/03 01:15 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
What size and type of tubing do they use? How do they mount, BTW? Just curious.

#66501 - 27/02/03 01:19 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Rick L Offline

Loc: Houston
The round tubing is 1.75 inch .156 sidewall DOM tubing. The square (inner) bar is 2 x 2 x 3/16 wall thickness. The bars bolt right up using existing threaded holes in the Xterra frame member. No drilling necessary. The legs are made from the 2 x 2 square tubes MIG welded to 1/4 steel base plates about 4 x 5.

#66502 - 27/02/03 02:23 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
lttljess Offline

Loc: omaha
I like these a lot. Wont pay that much for them.

#66503 - 27/02/03 03:46 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by lttljess:
I like these a lot. Wont pay that much for them.
Then you won't be getting any will you laugh

$50 more than everyone else isn't that bad when you figure they are a smaller shop, and there's more parts and materials being welded together.

The round tubing also offers a surface a Hi-Lift jack can hang on to at any angle.

The Shrockworks design is what I was looking for 3 years ago after seeing these for Cherokees...

...but no one was making anything like them.

#66504 - 27/02/03 04:43 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Walrus Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
No gussets on the mounting plates???

I made my own sliders, and used 1/4" thick mounting plates as well. At work I did a FEA design analysis on the sliders with CosmosWorks (modeled the sliders in 3D with SolidWorks, then did a FEA with the sliders fixed at the mounting holes only) with an applied load of 6000lbs at the front of the slider. Some bending (1/8") occurred at the front of the slider, and more at the mounting plates. Adding the small gussets, as you see on competitors sliders, strengthened the mounting plates to the point where there was very little deflection. There still was some at the front, but nothing to worry about.. still well within the elastic range of the metal (meaning it will spring back).

Just my 2 cents (or more).

#66505 - 27/02/03 05:39 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Walrus:
(modeled the sliders in 3D with SolidWorks, then did a FEA with the sliders fixed at the mounting holes only) with an applied load of 6000lbs at the front of the slider. Some bending (1/8") occurred at the front of the slider, and more at the mounting plates. Adding the small gussets, as you see on competitors sliders, strengthened the mounting plates to the point where there was very little deflection. There still was some at the front, but nothing to worry about.. still well within the elastic range of the metal (meaning it will spring back).
I would say that it sounds good on paper. How did your computer analysis do with the bolt holes pulling through the frame. I can tell you from experience that the nuts pulling through the frame is the weak point of anybody's sliders. It has happened to numerous people before they started welding their sliders to the frame. The thickness of the outer wall of the box frame is not nearly as thick as your slider material.

I have custom built my own sliders as well. However, I have one little difference that nobody seems to have picked up on yet. The 1/4" mounting plates are welded to c-channel that surrounds the bottom of the frame thus eliminating the issue of the bolt holes in the frame being the weak point.

I have lifted my truck off the ground on both sides and set it on jack stands under the sliders and there was virtually no flex what so ever. In fact I have lifted the truck on one side with only 4 bolts finger tight holding the slider and it didn't flex. wink

#66506 - 27/02/03 07:25 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Man....those look fabulous. Makes me want to sell my Calmini's and go with these.

Great work!!!

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#66507 - 27/02/03 08:07 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
ClaptoVaughn Offline

despite personal preference here and there, i think we can all agree that eoe's, calmini and the others have performed well for their owners' xterras.
this being said, the new ones in this thread are slightly more expensive, and although they look pretty sweet sliders are for usage not looks. since i live around the area of boulderbars.com i will be ordering from them. it'll be cheaper since i won't be charged shipping and if i go in person i might have a chance to haggle.
those new sliders do look damn nice. maybe you guys can negotiate some kind of group buy?

#66508 - 27/02/03 09:34 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Hi Folks,

My Roadrunner connection has been down for several days. Thought I'd pop in and answer some of the questions now that I'm back up.

On the price, $348 includes powder coating. If you want to save some bucks you can paint them yourself and get them for $298. Keep in mind, there is twice as much material in this design as some other designs and DOM is expensive. Dont forget to compare shipping prices too when shopping around.

I'll work with you on a group buy. Have someone take charge of it and contact me if there is enough interest.

Flex, the slider material strength is not an issue. Many people have beat this design to death on a 5000lb Trooper with only two mounting legs. A small amount of flex is normal and accounted for in the design and mounting location.

I think most of the questions have already been answered by others. Let me know if I missed something.

I'm putting some info up on my webshots site in my signature tonight. My permanent site at www.shrockworks.com will not be up for a 2-3 more weeks.

Regards,
Jim

#66509 - 27/02/03 09:54 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I see you have a pic of a "broken step", on your webshots account. Isn't that (I cant spell his name) Ariel G. from Mexico of XOC.

#66510 - 27/02/03 10:19 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Yep, sure is. He was nice enough to allow me to include it on the site. There is a photo credit in small print below it.

Jim

#66511 - 27/02/03 11:01 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
Yep, sure is. He was nice enough to allow me to include it on the site. There is a photo credit in small print below it.

Jim
IF you need more pics, I got a few...

http://community.webshots.com/album/32089597CicAIGLinR

#66512 - 27/02/03 11:50 PM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
lttljess Offline

Loc: omaha
Its not that I wouldnt buy them at the price listed but as a single income family I cant. I think they are fabulous and wish we could afford them. Smoothest looking bunch I've seen.

#66513 - 28/02/03 12:38 AM Re: New Sliders by Shrockworks
ClaptoVaughn Offline

if you go offroading often the sliders (any of them) will most likely pay for themselves many times over with the body damage prevented.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal