2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#670415 - 13/03/03 11:35 AM parents sue hospital for puck damage
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
sick of this shit

Alright, I can see that maybe they would feel the hospital is at fault. But why was Espen Knutsen named? And why did he have to settle. Its complete bullshit that a player should have to be responsible for a puck hitting someone in the stands, regardless of the injuries it may or may not cause. Or for that matter, The NHL or the Blue Jackets? It says right there on the ticket, and they announce it before every game. Please pay attention, pucks fly into the stands and can hurt you. We are not responsible for injuries yadda yadda yadda. I hope they lose the suit. (they wont) mad

#670416 - 13/03/03 11:39 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
GrayHam Offline

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Seriously, it isn't the fault of the people bringing the suits.

It's the juries awarding the settlements. They're the idiots . . .

#670417 - 13/03/03 12:24 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
off2cjb Offline

Tort Reform

For years now the Congress has been talking about tort reform
legislation, a bill which would limit collectable damages in certain
types of lawsuits.

The lawyers are up in arms about it and have their propaganda machine in
full throttle trying to convince the public that limiting liability
would not be fair to the injured parties.

Well that dog just won’t hunt. I believe the truth of the matter is
that the law would limit the amount of fees the lawyers could collect
and that’s what they’re so upset about. If they’re so concerned about
the welfare of their clients why do they often take the lion’s share of
class action law suit settlements. Why don’t they let most of the money
go to the parties who deserve it, the ones who have been harmed.

And let me here enter a caveat. I don’t believe that all lawyers are
money grubbing opportunists, there are good and honest lawyers too. And
don’t get the impression that I am against people suing for legitimate
grievances.
But i know for a fact that there are attorneys out there who try to
persuade people to sue whether they are hurt or not, just to make
someone pay, and getting hundreds of thousands of dollars for spilling
coffee in your lap is way beyond the pale.

We’ve all read about the silly lawsuits and the unbelievable amount of
money that has been paid out. We laugh at the foolishness because it
sounds like a joke. The sad fact is that it is not a joke. Did you
ever stop to think that every dollar these unprincipled attorneys can
persuade a jury to award has to be made up by somebody?

That’s right folks, and guess who that somebody is? We the people, you
and me and all the other hard working unsuspecting stiffs out there.
We pay it in higher insurance premiums, higher consumer prices and
higher medical costs.

Medical malpractice insurance prices are spiraling out of control and if
something isn’t done soon the day could come when small towns in America
could lose most if not all of its quality physicians.

Of course, some of the blame for the medical debacle has to be laid at
the door of the American Medical Association. Their failure to properly
police their profession and their reticence to take away the license of
the incompetent who practice under their auspices are the source of a
lot of the trouble.

Of course, the same could be said for the American Bar Association.
There would be a lot more respect for their profession if they would
purge their ranks of these ambulance chasers and establish some
guidelines on their own.

As rampant as the problem is and as aware as Congress is of the
situation, I seriously doubt if they have the guts to pass meaningful
tort reform legislation for two reasons.

First, is the money heavy legal profession lobby and second, what is
Congress made up of? That’s right, mostly lawyers.

We’re going to find out in the next few months who the government cares
the most about, the ordinary people of the United States or a bunch of
greedy, unprincipled lawyers who care nothing for the trouble they’re
causing as long as it fattens their bank accounts.

From Charlie Daniels website

#670418 - 13/03/03 12:40 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
What a pile of crap. I thought if you read the fine print on the back of the ticket, there's verbiage to the effect of, "if you are dumb and slow enough to get smacked in the face by a puck, its your own damn fault."

Well, that's not "exactly" what it says, but the last time I was at a MN Wild game I read the back during a period break and that's what I got out of it.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#670419 - 13/03/03 01:03 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
What a pile of crap. I thought if you read the fine print on the back of the ticket, there's verbiage to the effect of, "if you are dumb and slow enough to get smacked in the face by a puck, its your own damn fault."

Well, that's not "exactly" what it says, but the last time I was at a MN Wild game I read the back during a period break and that's what I got out of it.
Not to mention the fact that they verbally warn you constantly about watching the puck so you don't get drilled.

Got paint?

#670420 - 13/03/03 01:06 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Damn, while they're at they should sue the company that made the puck, sue the company that made the hockey stick that hit the puck, sue the ticket company that sold the father the ticket, sue the father for giving the ticket to his daughter, & sue the car & oil companies for providing a means of transportation to the game. :rolleyes:

#670421 - 13/03/03 01:38 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
The thing I am most angry about, and he reason I posted this to begin with, is that Espen Knutsen actually had to settle out of court with this family. This is just ridiculous. And by settling, it tells me that they thought a jury or judge would've actually ruled that he was somehow at fault for this unfortunate incident. Unbelievable. mad

#670422 - 14/03/03 12:42 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by mbflyerfan:
The thing I am most angry about, and he reason I posted this to begin with, is that Espen Knutsen actually had to settle out of court with this family. This is just ridiculous. And by settling, it tells me that they thought a jury or judge would've actually ruled that he was somehow at fault for this unfortunate incident. Unbelievable. mad
Not necessarily - it could be that Knutsen is a decent guy, felt bad about what happened, actually thinks it was his fault, and decided to pay since he has a lot of money.

And maybe I have Miss September waiting for me in my bed. No, wait, he's a moron. Tha's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

I'd like to bitch-slap the family that brought the suit.
Hell, what's next? Suing the Harlem Globetrotters for emtional distress for tossing that bucket of Confetti in your general direction?

#670423 - 14/03/03 12:57 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
got a ticket from the ducks vs. black hawks game from wed. night, right here... let me check...

Quote:
WARNING! DESPITE ENHANCED SPECTATOR SHIELDING MEASURES, PUCKS STILL MAY FLY INTO THE SPECTATOR AREA. SERIOUS INJURY CAN OCCUR. STAY ALERT AT ALL TIMES INCLUDING DURING WARMUP AND AFTER PLAY STOPS. IF STRUCK, IMMEDIATELY ASK USHER FOR DIRECTIONS TO MEDICAL STATION. HOLDER VOLUNTARILY ASSUMES ALL RISKS AND DANGE RINCIDENTAL TO THE EVENT FOR WHICH THE TICKET IS ISSUED, WHETHER OCCURING PRIOR TO, DURING OR AFTER THE EVENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO,...
It Goes on to include just about every other possibility of injury... including mosh pit. the ticket is a generic ticket issued for all ticket mater events, so it coveres everything... however the puck warning is first. i assume it wasn't last year. but in the list of possible sources of injury both pucks and sticks are listed...

this story fits in the same catagory as the mexican immigrants suing when the transplant went wrong... wow, it sucks that your daughter died... now fuck off

#670424 - 14/03/03 05:37 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
i8a4re Offline

Loc: Winnipeg/Calgary Canada
Quote:
This isn't the first time this happened... happened in the mid to late 80's too when Randy Carlyle shot a puck into the crowd when playing for the Winnipeg Jets...the team that Phoenix stole.

Homer: What kind of mileage does this thing get?
McBain: One Highway, Zero City

#670425 - 14/03/03 06:40 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
babyX Offline

Quote:
The suit says doctors didn't see the extent of her brain damage in the first of two brain scans and did not do the second scan in time to combat fluid buildup in her head.
Got forbid people make mistakes anymore... Shit happens.

For the love of God people, watch out for flying pucks!!

#670426 - 14/03/03 07:47 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:
The thing I am most angry about, and he reason I posted this to begin with, is that Espen Knutsen actually had to settle out of court with this family. mad
As maddening as it may seem... if you were Knutsen, and you were the hockey player whose shot killed a family's young daughter... I would hope that you would at least feel somewhat more sympathetic to the family... somehow, I don't think season tickets and saying "my bad, but your daughter shouldve watched out" would be enough to calm your conscience...

#670427 - 14/03/03 07:48 AM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by i8a4re:
the Winnipeg Jets...the team that Phoenix stole.
You mean the team Winnipeg threw away?

Man, that was a dinky arena in Winterpeg . . . there was more seating in the municipal rink I grew up playing lacrosse in! laugh

#670428 - 28/03/03 02:33 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
i8a4re Offline

Loc: Winnipeg/Calgary Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
Originally posted by i8a4re:
[b]the Winnipeg Jets...the team that Phoenix stole.
You mean the team Winnipeg threw away?

Man, that was a dinky arena in Winterpeg . . . there was more seating in the municipal rink I grew up playing lacrosse in! laugh [/b]
grr.. shush!.. I want my Jets back!... and just for clarification, it was a small group that wanted to get rid of the jets, and they just happened to have the power. The leader of the "get rid of the jets" "no new arena" campaign is now our mayor, and now wants a new arena for our manitoba moose.. ... yay(?!)

Homer: What kind of mileage does this thing get?
McBain: One Highway, Zero City

#670429 - 28/03/03 11:29 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
I am sorry the girl died, but it does say it on the damn ticket. You can't even get a damn signed waiver to hold up in court now-a-days. Espen should not have had to pay a dime to this family. Again, it is horrible that it happened, but how is it his fault. Did it go off a goalie, or another player? What if it had? Let's sue the linesman cause it bounced of his head on the way out. I think the NHL did the right thing by putting the nets up. I hate them, but it make sense so this does not happen again I guess.

#670430 - 30/03/03 07:14 PM Re: parents sue hospital for puck damage
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
You guys are missing the point of this article. The problem was this: The girl was seriously hurt from her injuries. She was brought to the hospital, cheked, treated and was in stable conditon. She was alert and recovering. However, the next day later, she suddenly died from a build up of fluid in her brain that was the result of the doctors not properly monitering her.

As far as Knutsen, he was absolutely devistated after the news of her death. Article on Knutsen. It very much impacted his and the teams play last season as the only won 3 of their last 14 games.

As of the beginning of the season, the family had NOT filed against the Blue Jackets. However, i still cant find any mention of when they filed.

With that out of the way, the Blue Jackets went well beyond out of their way for the family. They memorialized her at games, wore her name on their helmets, even the coach kept in touch with the family as well as some of the players and management. There was even a special fund set up in her name too that was promoted throughout the NHL. I too don't understand the reason why the team as well as Knutsen would legally be responsible. IT is an injury that happens. Now the hospital, that end is totally unacceptable. I mean the girl was fully alert, concious, joking with her family, and them suddenly dead because they didn't properly monitor her.

Unfortunatly it has opened a can of worms though. People who recieved no compensation prior to this event have now brought up new lawsuits to sew for damages that they couldn't achieve until the family of Brittanie received them from her unfortunate death.

Lawyers point of view: There is no disclaimer told to you PRIOR to purchase of said ticket. You are then, not notified of the disclaimer on the back of your ticket, so you would not know it was there since it is not being pointed out to you.

Lawyers point of view 2: The verbal diclaimer and visual disclaimer of danger due to pucks is insufficient because you are not reminded constantly through the game of the danger.

Now THAT pisses me off.

Have fun with those tidbits smile
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal