2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#672986 - 09/09/10 10:37 AM Drivers side power window problem
seakayak757 Offline

My kids were using my 2008 last weekend and now the drivers side window no longer works. It was stuck in open position so they pulled it shut. All the other windows work fine. I took the panel off and it seems to be on track. I never had any problem with the window before. Any thoughts? I am thinking I will replace the motor but it seems strange that that would go out so suddenly without previous symptoms.

#672992 - 09/09/10 06:23 PM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: seakayak757]
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Check for a loose connection?

#672993 - 09/09/10 06:23 PM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: XOC]
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Tried putting that window on a different switch?

#672999 - 10/09/10 06:19 AM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: XOC]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
when mine stopped going shut, I pulled the panel, found the connector to the switch and ran two wires direct to the battery, I used these to connect to the wires to the motor, first one way , then reversing. This confirmed that the motor still worked find but up and down, letting me know it was only a bad switch.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#675777 - 12/06/11 09:36 AM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: e207]
AnthonyS Offline

Loc: West Babylon, NY
I just picked up an '02 Xterra last week. All worked fine. This morning the driver side window took forever to go up. Like there was resistance. It eventually closed, but this was the first time it happened.

I don't like making uneducated guesses. It had rained the night before. I doubt it was the weatherstripping at the base of the window. But that was the first thing that came to mind. I had to keep pushing the window button up and down until it eventually closed.

By "switch" you mean the button that raises and lowers the window or is it more of a relay?

Do you have to replace the whole button panel on the arm rest or is it underneath the panel?

Thanks for your help.

#675790 - 13/06/11 06:43 AM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: AnthonyS]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
If it works but it's just real slow. STOP PUTTING THEM UP/DOWN UNTIL YOU FIX IT! Using them this way will destroy the regulator in the door.

Now, the fix is real simple. If they work, but just slow, go get a can of spray silicone and lube up the tracks. This is a common issue with the X's and once in a while a little silicone spray works wonders on the windows.

On the other hand, if they don't work at all, then I'd suspect an electical problem. But if they just work slow, all the electrical is most likely OK.

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#675823 - 16/06/11 04:14 PM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: Gonzo-2]
AnthonyS Offline

Originally Posted By: Gonzo-2
STOP PUTTING THEM UP/DOWN UNTIL YOU FIX IT!

That was funny!!! I'll have to try the silicone trick. I just find it's funny how they only act up when it rains. On dry days the windows work fine.

#675914 - 26/06/11 09:06 AM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: AnthonyS]
AnthonyS Offline

I figured out why the window was having problems going up. It had nothing to do with the switch.

The window shifts in the frame. When raising the window, the back of the window (nearest to the drivers shoulder) tips backward and causes the top rear corner of the window to push into the window frame causing drag and the window resisting going up.

Grabbing hold of the window and shifting it forward fixes the problem.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of a car window. If I take off the door panel, what am I looking for in order to adjust the window and lock it up so it stops moving back and forth?

Thanks

#675918 - 26/06/11 05:26 PM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: AnthonyS]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
This isn't new. Try the silicone spray anyway. It will "grease" up the track so that the window doesn't bind up in the first place. Unless of course it's so bad that you actually have part of the track loose, but that is, IMO, unlikely. When they start getting sticky (needing the silicone spray), they will start shifting and vibrating in the track until they will then act as you describe.

Look at it this way - a can of silicone spray is a simple and cheap fix. Isn't it worth at least a try to see if it will work before you take the panel off and start that mess? If it's as you describe, I'll bet that it will. Like I said, it's at least worth a try first. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Won't cost much to try it first!

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#675956 - 02/07/11 03:44 PM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: Gonzo-2]
AnthonyS Offline

Originally Posted By: Gonzo-2
This isn't new. Try the silicone spray anyway. It will "grease" up the track so that the window doesn't bind up in the first place. Unless of course it's so bad that you actually have part of the track loose, but that is, IMO, unlikely. When they start getting sticky (needing the silicone spray), they will start shifting and vibrating in the track until they will then act as you describe.

Look at it this way - a can of silicone spray is a simple and cheap fix. Isn't it worth at least a try to see if it will work before you take the panel off and start that mess? If it's as you describe, I'll bet that it will. Like I said, it's at least worth a try first. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Won't cost much to try it first!

-G

Gonzo,
I think you're 100% correct. It "vibrates" in the window frame too when raised and lowered. So the silicone spray is used in the upper part of the door frame where the window slides up into?

I also notice the window will rattle inside the door frame when raised about half way. Have you ever experienced that before? I would think something needs to be tightened or the weather stripping on the door sill needs to be replaced.

I would have thought the silicone spray was used INSIDE the door panel where the window regulator and the track that raises and lowers the window is located.

Is there a spray you recommend? Is WD40 an equivalent? I've never looked on the can to see if it's a "silicone" or petroleum base spray.

Thanks

-A

Edited by AnthonyS (02/07/11 03:59 PM)

#675962 - 03/07/11 08:44 AM Re: Drivers side power window problem [Re: AnthonyS]
AnthonyS Offline

I picked up a can of CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Spray from Walmart. It seemed to have done the trick. Thanks for the tip. I'll do a little further investigating when I take the panels off to change the speakers. To see if anything is loose or needs lubricating. The window still tends to vibrate when lowering.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074-Silicone...3224&sr=8-1

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal