Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67324 - 10/04/02 12:20 PM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
Close1 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
The one in the pic must have the stickers off of it, or I am talking about something different. I am surprised they use a clear or black plexiglass.

I am kind of a picky person with vehicles and am just trying to find a rack that both looks good and is functional.
You could use the stock deflector yet can't you? :rolleyes:

#67325 - 10/04/02 12:29 PM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Oh, the CLEAR one in the position of the typical, stock one... Yeah, that's a custom modification known as the "see-thru deflector" or "Thor mod."

It only benefits those of us with the SE model that has the sunroof, obviously. It allows you to actually see out of your sunroof (some concept, Nissan!). Of course, if you leave the gear basket in place, it doesn't help much - but does let in more light.

#67326 - 10/04/02 12:43 PM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
off2cjb Offline

Mr Boarderphreak, how in the world did you first: get your light mounts to stay flush with those rack mounts in the way? Mine appear to be angled a bit because they rest on the mounts. It looks like one side is higher than the other.
Second, how did you run the wiring in your setup? I have virtually the same thing.

#67327 - 10/04/02 05:26 PM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
BoarderPhreak Offline

"Mr. Boarderphreak?" LOL! laugh

I had to shift my crossbars around from their stock locations to mount the rack properly with the 18" extension, first off. Then, when it came time to bolt up the light brackets, it took a little more fidgeting with stuff up there, but they are pretty much dead-on straight with the top plate parallel to the ground. Here's a closeup shot:

I haven't wired it yet (that's tomorrows project) since I put the lights in during the Winter and it was a bit too nipple out to work on it. I'm going to try and run the ground wire to a slightly modified Torx bolt on the stock rack mounting piece so that I only have to run ONE wire down into the engine compartment. This wire will be carefully hidden within the rack and such as much as possible, ultimately running down behind the rubber strip of the door/windshield and into the engine bay, or just into a rear door behind the weatherstripping. The benefit of the latter is the wire wouldn't be really obvious up on the top front of your truck where it could also be damaged by branches and the downside being that you'd then have to run a longer wire, under the carpeting and through the firewall. Yuck. I'll post pix once it's all said and done so you can see what I've done. My plan is to make the wire as invisible as possible, WITHOUT modifying the truck in ANY way (which I insist on, within reason). That means NOT cutting holes in the roof... wink

Let me know if you would like any additional angle shots or information.

#67328 - 11/04/02 11:35 PM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Senor Phreak de Boarder,

I just got done installing my Loadwarrior, and I have a question. Did you find the crossbars to be too narrow to install the brackets as illustrated by the instructions? I had to mount my brackets on the inside of the bars, instead of on the outside, so that they would be able to fit on the crossbars neatly. However, looking at the photos posted, it appears that you did the same thing.

The second question is about the plastic brackets that go under the crossbars. I was kinda worried that over time, the plastic would rub away at the metal since there is no padding like that found on the upper bracket. Was this a concern? I think I am going to put some rubber between the metal crossbars and the plastic bracket so that the brackets dont scratch up my crossbars to hell over time.

I suppose I sorta answered my own questions, but I was curious to see if you had similar concerns and/or remedies... [Geek]

#67329 - 12/04/02 08:26 AM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
I just picked up the loadwarrior also, courtesy of REI and had to mount the brackets on the inside, as the plastic mounting on the crossbars are in the way. I also put a strip of rubber between the bottom clamp and the crossbar to prevent scraching up the crossbar.
Just had a question concerning the bracket locks for the loadwarrior. Picked those up seperate from the loadwarrior. Is it just me or does anybody else think that they are cheesy? I mean they are all plastic and after installing them looks like you can take a screwdriver and pry up between the locking plate and snap them off easyly enough. I don't know maybe I was just expecting more, being it cost an extra $30.00.

#67330 - 12/04/02 10:24 AM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
BoarderPhreak Offline

I agree Pinoy - the more I look at those "locks" the more I'm against getting them.

IMO, you'd be better off with a short, rubberized, heavy duty bike lock around the Yak and stock racks.

#67331 - 12/04/02 10:28 AM Re: Yakima Loadwarrior Question..
BoarderPhreak Offline

MB, what I did was slide my crossbars around to one of the only configurations I really could, since things like the gear basket bolt boss (heh) was in the way on one end, and the curve of the rear-end of the stock rack and support post were in the way on the other end.

I'd love to add a third crossbar and mounts in the middle, but at ~$80 for a crossbar and the slim chance that I could get Yakima to sell me just the mounts - makes it most likely a pipe dream.

I didn't even realize that there was no padding on the bottom bracket - but think about it. All the weight is on top, where the load is actually carried. So damage might occur, but it's not as likely as if it were on top, I would think. Besides, at some point the whole rack will need repainting, since that silver crap is cheap and flaky anyway...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal