Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#674085 - 14/12/10 07:42 PM HID conversion kits and fog lights
pdxxterra Offline

Been looking at some HID Conversion kits on ebay. They don't seem to expensive, but was wondering if anyone has bought one of these before?? Also, was looking at fog lights to mount into the factory slots on my 05 S. I was told that my xterra was already wired. Is this true? Thanks for you help who ever responds.

#674955 - 24/02/11 10:50 AM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: pdxxterra]
Silly B Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Have you found a kit or had any luck finding others that have upgraded. In my searches the kits seem pretty easy and not that expensive. I have not seen a post anywhere though from any xterra forums

#674973 - 27/02/11 07:42 PM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: Silly B]
52 Offline

Knowing they aren't recommended at all for our reflector style lenses i installed a set of 5000k ddm tuning bi-xenons. I removed them and went back to Sylverstars a few weeks later. Why? 1. I wasn't liking the blue hue of the 5000k bulbs. Kind of like driving with a ghost in front of me. 2. The hot spots of light were not good. 3. glare was too much for other drivers. In my MZ3 with projectors the 5000k DDMs look phenomenal the x i was disappointed.

Mods: 2003 Granite NA 4X4, KN FIPK, PML, Poly Sway bushings, 32" BFG AT Ko

#675273 - 01/04/11 04:56 PM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: 52]
Robb Offline

Loc: Oceanside, NY
Originally Posted By: 52
Knowing they aren't recommended at all for our reflector style lenses i installed a set of 5000k ddm tuning bi-xenons. I removed them and went back to Sylverstars a few weeks later. Why? 1. I wasn't liking the blue hue of the 5000k bulbs. Kind of like driving with a ghost in front of me. 2. The hot spots of light were not good. 3. glare was too much for other drivers. In my MZ3 with projectors the 5000k DDMs look phenomenal the x i was disappointed.
I have a ddm kit in my motorcycle and love it.

#675293 - 04/04/11 04:51 AM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: 52]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Ahem...

Originally Posted By: 52
Knowing they aren't recommended at all for our reflector style lenses
3. glare was too much for other drivers.

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#675294 - 04/04/11 08:38 AM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: Gonzo-2]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
The HID bulbs are longer than normal bulbs thus reflecting light at improper angles off of non-HID lense reflectors/refractors...

This is what causes oncoming traffic to hate you, bright light you when your brights aren't on, and swerve at you hoping to scare you into a ditch and burst into flames...

Or maybe that's just me?

If you are going to spend the money on the "conversion" make it a complete conversion and get the actual, working projectors for HID bulbs (not knock offs) a couple of grand later you too can have pretty blue, pink, purple, or laser white lights.

Not trying to flame here (God knows I've done enough $hit to my rig that most wouldn't approve of) but I am unfortunately stationed in Cali right now and it seems like everyone has this done in the cheapest route possible. These are the same people that drive with their fog lights on all the time, in the desert, where it is foggy about twice a year.

Wow, it's just after 0730 and I already got a rant outta the way for the day! Going to be a good Monday smile
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#675299 - 05/04/11 08:45 AM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: slantyshanty]
52 Offline

All true. I stripped them out a week after i got them. Back to the silverstars. If you go the correct projector retrofit route, then things will be good.
But i couldnt continue lighting the entire interior of vehicles from behind, or blinding oncoming traffic.
From my research ddm has some of the best kits on the market and i still couldnt get the aimed approriatly for use.

Another downside was the high beams were useless. The moving bulb didnt do anything but re-aim the terrible pattern.

My vote is more lights not brighter. More looks cooler too.

Mods: 2003 Granite NA 4X4, KN FIPK, PML, Poly Sway bushings, 32" BFG AT Ko

#679934 - 23/03/13 03:47 AM Re: HID conversion kits and fog lights [Re: 52]
jayismyson Offline

you when your brights aren't on, and swerve at you hoping to scare you into a ditch and burst into flames...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal