Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67489 - 22/05/01 12:57 AM Back up light
x_tempore Offline

Loc: Escondido, CA, USA
Has anyone mounted a bright back-up light on the bumper? If so, I assume you mounted it right on the bumper and wired it inside to the leads for the backup lights???

What about power problems/current draw/whatever?

I would assume that another line all the way to the dash would need to be included in case you wanted to disable the feature.

------------------

#67490 - 22/05/01 03:12 AM Re: Back up light
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Check out this back up light by Ian. The owner of the XOC forum.
http://www.xterrain.com/

------------------
Honor is a troublesome thing, but if one has it one does not lightly yield it. -- Louis L'Amour
http://www.gpxo.org
Got Spark?

#67491 - 22/05/01 08:04 AM Re: Back up light
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
I just saw a pair of KC 55w backup lights for about $100.00 ... they attach to either side of the tow hitch and wiring is easy ...

Don't know if you have to have the tow hitch to mount or if you could just place them anywhere on the rear bumper ... take a look at them ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

#67492 - 22/05/01 08:47 AM Re: Back up light
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Pepper, where did you see them????

------------------
SWXC member #37
TMTC member #951

#67493 - 22/05/01 09:36 AM Re: Back up light
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Here's where you can get them direct. http://kclights.com/buyonline/itmidx1.htm

------------------
"I fell in to a burning ring-of-fire..."

Xterra101.com

#67494 - 22/05/01 10:57 AM Re: Back up light
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
2 Questions:

1) would they over load the circuit? what is the circuit rated for?
2) would there be a way to put them on a 3 position switch so you could have them:
be off all the time,
be on when in reverse,
be on all the time.

------------------
Joe
No Officer, I'm not naked. I'm wearing my Xterra.

#67495 - 22/05/01 11:45 AM Re: Back up light
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
i have the ipf 816 back up light, its a 55watt single light that projects a wide beam pattern. i have it mounted on the roof rack and it does very well. the ipf comes with its own wiring harness which includes relay, 3 way switch for all those positions listed in the above response. the cost about $80.

------------------
Silver Ice Xterra Xe
4x4 auto 3pk

#67496 - 22/05/01 04:54 PM Re: Back up light
pepper kay Offline

Hey XterrainTX: ... I saw them at a 4 x 4 shop on Plano just a block or so off 635 West ...

If you'd like, I'll run over there tomorrow, get the particulars and post them here, as you don't have e-mail ...

I want to go with something bumper or hitch mounted and these looked pretty good, but I thought were pricey ...

I'm still looking around ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

[This message has been edited by pepper kay (edited 05-22-2001).]

#67497 - 23/05/01 02:42 PM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

I can get the KC HiLites from Off Road Warehouse (right near my house) for $70:

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OOS&Product_Code=107

You get two for this price. Pepper Kay said they were 55W (I guess that's 55 each?). The IPF is only one 55W lamp (for around $65), but has the switches and stuff. (I can make any wiring, switch plates, etc. if I really want to).

How about Hella and PIAA? Do they make a wide beam back-up light?

I like the idea of flipping a switch to keep it on. That would replace a work light plugged into the back for overnight camp setup, etc. [It would also be cool if someone were a bit close to the ol' bumper on the freeway, or had overly bright high-beams on me... but then I'd want a 200W light!]

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67498 - 23/05/01 03:31 PM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

I can get the KC HiLites from Off Road Warehouse (right near my house) for $70:

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OOS&Product_Code=107

You get two for this price. Pepper Kay said they were 55W (I guess that's 55 each?). The IPF is only one 55W lamp (for around $65), but has the switches and stuff. (I can make any wiring, switch plates, etc. if I really want to).

How about Hella and PIAA? Do they make a wide beam back-up light?

I like the idea of flipping a switch to keep it on. That would replace a work light plugged into the back for overnight camp setup, etc. [It would also be cool if someone were a bit close to the ol' bumper on the freeway, or had overly bright high-beams on me... but then I'd want a 200W light!]

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67499 - 23/05/01 03:46 PM Re: Back up light
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by x_tempore:
I can get the KC HiLites from Off Road Warehouse (right near my house)

Hey, I'm the other direction (off twin oaks). Have you done any SCCX or SPORT runs?

------------------

#67500 - 23/05/01 03:54 PM Re: Back up light
pepper kay Offline

OK Guys:

I went to the parts store today and the lights they have are KC 517 Series 26 ...

I went to the site suggested by Kerensky97 and found the identical light on their page ...

It's priced at $69.95 for the pair as opposed to the $100 I saw in the parts store ...

They're 55w and draw 4.5 amps per KC specs ... seems like the stock wiring would certainly cover that as it's probably fused for at least 10 amps ... the owner's manual will tell, I'm sure ...

I sent an e-mail to KC asking those same questions and also whether or not you could go with a 3 way switch to be able to turn them on separate from reverse to use as a work light ...

When KC answers, I'll post their answer here ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

#67501 - 23/05/01 10:50 PM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

I bought some Hella fog light to use as back-up light. I got them for only about $13 more than the KC back-ups, but they seem to be much better as far as quality. They're also bigger, so they'll give more light and project farther. Now I just have to decide: on top on the rear rack bar or under the bumper...

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67502 - 24/05/01 07:58 AM Re: Back up light
Philosopher Offline

I bought some cheap-ass driving lights with 55W bulbs at Trak Auto for $20 - wired them directly to the reverse lights and threw some PIAA 55 = 85W bulbs in them ... bright white light. Mounted them on my safari rack. Had the stock fogs mounted on the bumper with the same bulbs in them but the beam pattern sucked (fogs obviously) - even when I turned them upside-down hoping to get some more light thrown upwards ... don't even try to mount lights on the bumper, it's too low to have good light throw.

#67503 - 24/05/01 11:10 AM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

Philosopher,

OK that was pretty decent advice. Do you have a real safari rack or that cheesy one from Nissan (which I actually bought for some reason)? I could mount them on the rack tube I suppose. The fogs I got should be good and bright even though they are 55W. Anything should be better than the back-ups in there now.

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67504 - 24/05/01 12:21 PM Re: Back up light
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by x_tempore:
Philosopher,

OK that was pretty decent advice. Do you have a real safari rack or that cheesy one from Nissan (which I actually bought for some reason)? I could mount them on the rack tube I suppose. The fogs I got should be good and bright even though they are 55W. Anything should be better than the back-ups in there now.

I have the Bushman rack from KargoMaster. Look in my profile for my website's URL.

The problem with mounting fog lights is that their beam pattern is TINY - I actually wired one up and help it up to my roof to see what it would do and it was pretty much worthless. I'd be looking for a new fixture. Good luck either way.

#67505 - 24/05/01 12:22 PM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

Ned946,

I'm up above you on the hill to the north (Emerald Heights). I've been meaning to go on an SCCX Xcursion for months, but either have things I need to do or space out on the date. I'm supposedly an SCCX member (I have a card), but I really need to go with the group someday! I have gone off-highway though. I did some really bad roads (ie. fun ones) in Sequoia Natl Forest and do some stuff in San Diego of course. Have you ever gone on the Santa Ysabel Truck Trail between Pamo Valley and Lake Sutherland. That's pretty fun. I really was sad to miss Anza Borrego, Mojave Road, and Calico. I want to do all of those.

If you want to reply, we should probably move the discussion to the SCCX folder. I always look there, so I'll see it.

BTW, I have no idea why this server posted one of my replies twice (45 minutes apart).

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67506 - 24/05/01 01:32 PM Re: Back up light
pepper kay Offline

Philosopher:

When you say "too low", I presume you mean bumper mounted ... it seems that 55w lights would certainly outshine the stock 13w bulbs ... if bumper mounted, are they so low they just disappear right at the back of the truck ? ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

#67507 - 24/05/01 01:42 PM Re: Back up light
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pepper kay:
Philosopher:

When you say "too low", I presume you mean bumper mounted ... it seems that 55w lights would certainly outshine the stock 13w bulbs ... if bumper mounted, are they so low they just disappear right at the back of the truck ? ...

Pretty much, yes. It doesn't help when looking out of the rear window (or side mirrors) because you can't see the extra light. I definitely recommend putting them up higher.

#67508 - 24/05/01 09:48 PM Re: Back up light
pepper kay Offline

Any suggestions for mounting up on the rack ? ...

A bracket or ?? ...

How 'bout something that swivels, so you can angle them down to flood the rear with light and also use them for a work light ? ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

#67509 - 25/05/01 09:06 AM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

OK,

Can anyone direct me to a web site of an Xterra owner who has directions for:
1. Putting lights on a roof rack crossbar.
2. Wiring into the reverse light wiring inside the cargo area (or wherever).

I'm pretty sure I've seen both of these before, but now I can't find them.

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67510 - 25/05/01 11:40 AM Re: Back up light
pepper kay Offline

At an informal get together of the SWXC last night, Carlton McMillan was there and he has a large single spot mounted on his rear rack ...

It seemed to give off plenty of light and would have good utility as a back up light or work light ... forgot to ask if he had it wired independently or does it come on with the reverse position ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

#67511 - 25/05/01 08:41 PM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

Pepper Kay and all,

1. I'm thinking of mounting the lights on MIghtyMounts somehow. The vertical one have horizontal bolts, right? I could get a right angle bracket and mount the lights onto it. Think that'll work?

2. The Hella 550 fog lights I bought came with a on-off rocker switch and a 4 pin relay. Would I need a three-way switch and a different relay if I want:
a) on with back-up lights
b) off
c) on ?

Could I make the two-way switch simply do "a" and "c" above? I'm not sure how I'd wire that.

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67512 - 26/05/01 01:31 AM Re: Back up light
Ben Dawson Offline

Loc: Webster, Texas
Hey x_tempore, look at getting the switch from Nissan that controls the rear wiper, its a three position and with a little rubbing alcohol you can take off the white paint and lable it whatever you want, it'll look totally trick too, matching the existing interior and all. I have some lighting issues (front light bar and rear back-up/work flood) in the works and will post pics when completed.

------------------
Do or do not, there is no try.
3 pack

#67513 - 26/05/01 08:15 AM Re: Back up light
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
ARB had an old 4Runner with a pair of the IPF backup lights mounted under the back bumper where the spare used to mount. I talked to the current owner about them and he said they really work well. I recently saw a Toyota trayback(flatbed) with 2x100w flood lights under the back. Hmm seems that I might have a thing for lights! Must a downunder thing!

------------------
Ian-aka snork,rollover
wish I could get an X here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal