Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#675538 - 08/05/11 08:40 AM Throw Out Bearing
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I've been experiencing a squeal during acceleration. My initial thought was that the fan blades were rubbing on the shroud but I've checked and trimmed some suspect areas but it continues.
I'm thinking it has to be the throw out bearing because I've also experienced some warbling noise while in neutral.

I've does some poking around with search feature and have gained some insight into what it takes to replace the throw out. I assume that I should go ahead and replace the clutch and have the flywheel machined while I'm in there (?). What else should I consider? Also, I didn't really find a tutorial on changing the clutch here, anyone have a link?

Thanks

Robert

FYI I'm 99% positive it is not a belt squealing.

Edited by therob (08/05/11 08:41 AM)

#675543 - 08/05/11 11:51 AM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: therob]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I WOULD spend a little time making 100% sure that it wasn't a belt.

For example, you DIDN'T mention if clutching in/out or going in reverse changed the noise....or if you marked the belts with chalk lines against the pulleys to make sure they didn't slip, or, tried turning on AC, lights, radio, fan to high, etc...to see if a belt slipped when the alternator hit a heavy load all at once, etc.

And, sure, if you're in there, take care of the pilot, the throw out, the clutch, etc...but, typically you don't need to machine the flywheel too, unless things got really buggered, in which case, you'd look at the starter cog too.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#675544 - 08/05/11 12:10 PM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: TJ]
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, it isn't any of the belts. I've ruled out belts completely. It seems to happen when the engine is at really low rpms and the clutch is being engaged. How do I describe this... its that point where you release the clutch slightly and press on the gas at the same time... the friction point? it only does it when I'm accelerating from a stop and it happens nearly every time, the severity relies on how quickly I release the clutch and how much gas I give it.

I plan on ordering OEM parts from the dealer or from Xterraparts.com but do you have any specific recommendations besides that?
Thanks for the quick response BTW

#675549 - 09/05/11 05:33 AM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: therob]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Its a pretty straight forward procedure, about like any other clutch work you've probably done, but does require you get all the stuff in the way off first...

I think I mentioned looking at the starter cog while your at it, and doing the pilot as long as you're doing the TO bearing, etc.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#675897 - 23/06/11 06:28 PM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: TJ]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
Probably not the TOB, most likely the hamonic balancer has seporated, common problem.

#675900 - 24/06/11 06:34 AM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
Nail Bender Offline

Loc: chicagoland
How do you fix that?

#675904 - 24/06/11 03:49 PM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: Nail Bender]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
You remove all the belts, then remove the harmonic balancer .

then you got to the dealer and buy a new one and install everything in reverse order .

#680085 - 18/05/13 07:08 PM Re: Throw Out Bearing [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
I know this is a pretty old post but my X has started doing exactly what you describe. Worst in 1st and 2nd gear. Sounds like birds. My X only has about 60k miles or less but has been through some pretty rough times over the years and terrain across the U.S. I am not familiar at all about clutch work or harmonic balancer work at all. What are some things to do to prove one thing or another, as I would hate to dig into one thing only to find out it was the other? How long can you drive like this before failure? Mine has only been doing this for about 2-3 weeks (that I have noticed) but does seem to be getting worse.
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal