Before i begin.. I have a 2001.
So i wanted to change my exhaust up a bit a little while ago and i decided to take it to a shop and have them put in a dual exhaust system. They did a good job and all, but they didn't do it the way i expected. It's got a y pipe going into the muffler so all they did was replace my stock muffler with an aftermarket single inlet dual outlet muffler. The muffler they used was a thrush. I don't know what model it was.. But i'm pretty sure thrush are for more muscle cars and all of that type stuff, yet i don't have a muscle car. ANYWAYS.. It's not very loud on the start up. The engine has to warm up a little bit before the sound kicks in and even then it's still not loud. It only hums very quietly.. doesn't sound all that great.

This time around i want to get it done myself.. So my question to everbody is what should i do to make the exhaust have a more noticeable sound but not sound like garbage?

I wanted to cut off the end of the y pipe and make it a real dual with 2 mufflers going out to the back. I'll be able to keep most of the pipes they bent and everything i'll just need to work on some stuff up near the muffler. Any suggestions on if this is a good idea? Of if i should just keep the y pipe single and just use a different muffler? What muffler should i use? I've searched around and i have finally realised that i will NOT get a nice throaty muscle sound out of this vehicle because it's not a muscle car. SO.. flowmaster has this nice dbx muffler that's made for imports. It's got that very nice clean import sound and i was wondering if that would sound any better on my vehicle. If it would sound better; would it sound better if i did it dual or single.

If you're wondering.. I have not touched my cats or resonators. ( I have 4 things coming off my headers and i have no clue if they're all cats, or if 2 are cats and 2 are resonators.) Also.. there's this little vent that's on my pipe coming off the header on the passengers side. Does that vent serve any good purpose?

I know some people will laugh at me for wanting this type of sound but i've seen an xterra that's got a nice tuned sound that doesn't sound like a muscle car. I will supply you TWO links below of some sound videos so you can get an idea of what i want to do.

This is the xterra's sound i LOVE. I heard they have a different motor in them based on the 350 z or something.. so it may sound a bit differnt on my 2001.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcR0-dIyZxI

Here is the video of the ncie flowmaster exhaust i mentioned above. I have also seem some nice sound flowmaster 40's on xterras.. any comments on them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqeCfwUy7t8

If anyone has any advice, comments.. ANYTHING, it would all be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by NickrMason (10/10/11 12:10 AM)