2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#660 - 25/09/06 04:28 PM Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the short span of a year and a half, ive grown to love my "go anywhere, do anything" xterra. But alas, shes been through way too much drama in her short partnership with me. At the end of the comming month, I am giving a deposition reguarding an accident that happened two years ago. If I get any money, and with all the injuries I sustained I will, and even if I dont, Im swapping my xterra in for a new one. Yet I dont know yet if Id like to get the new generation. If i can find a good 04 4x4 se s/c ill get it, but i might end up getting a brand new one. im torn between which one is a better performer off road. with my generation, i know what it can do. so i guess my question is, which is better in your guys opinion?

please dont link me to death, ive already looked at everything i could

#661 - 25/09/06 04:50 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Gen II is better in nearly every way. You get...

1. An exceptional Engine, light years beyond any prior with awesome power that will never need upgraded. ANd get better mpg.
2. An awesome 5spd Auto.
3. Solid differentials with enterchangable front axles.
4. Clocked drivetrain, flat pan belly.
5. Far superior approach angle and modifyable.
6. Deletion of tortion bars and 5" lift availability.
7. Stock locker with the WORLDS BEST traction control system.(Who needs a front locker)
8. Stock 32" tires.
9. Stronger EVERYTHING, and likely deletion of many Gen I design flaws such as brittle steering, front clip and motor mounts.
10. A RF stereo that will blow your mind with off-road appropriate controls and MP3/ CD system.
11. Well designed interior for off-road.
12. Overall one of the most confident, stock vehicles on the road.
13. Better crawl ratio and t/case gearing.

I could go on....Youll be shocked at the improvements.

#662 - 25/09/06 05:18 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, i am. damn. thanks man.

#663 - 25/09/06 05:21 PM Re: Time for a new X
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
First gen pros:

- A first gen will probably have the advantage of being cheaper to insure.
- Replacement parts are probably easier to find, especially junkyard parts.
- Shrock/Calmini/etc charge less for some first gen mods than they do for the second gens
- Plenty of used ones floating around
- In my opinion, XOC knowledge base seems to be slightly first-gen oriented.

First gen cons:

- Coughing up the extra $0.20/gallon for premium in the S/C.
- Performance (duh)
- Stock tires sucky

#664 - 25/09/06 08:10 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
The Gen II is better in nearly every way. You get...

3. Solid differentials with enterchangable front axles.
maybe i'm stoopid...but huh?

#665 - 25/09/06 08:21 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Spit] Ok, let me re-phrase that. SOLID BUILT AXLES [Finger]

#666 - 25/09/06 08:37 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm still gonna have to say...huh?

i don't think there's any evidence to show that the 2nd gen axles are stronger than 1st Gen. if anything, the evidence points the other way.

otherwise, i mostly agree with your list.

#667 - 25/09/06 09:12 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dunno if you're into wheelin' as much as I am, but another pro for the first gen is the availability of a SAS kit, and many options if you'd rather go custom. And yes, it can be done on a second gen X, but you'd have to ask Ponyboy for the total cost on it.

#668 - 25/09/06 09:14 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
[Spit] Ok, let me re-phrase that. SOLID BUILT AXLES [Finger]
Tell that to the guy that grenaded his front diff on his '05 on a small hill climb in our local club...it was nothing major or too technical...but it blew out the front diff all the same. That "stock" rear locker...hate to tell you, it's in no way bulletproof. We had another guy in our club blow out his rear locker to the point he could barely make it home because it essentially caused his rear differential to shit the bed. It's actually a common problem with the '05 Xterra as far as the rear differential. It's had to be replaced on quite a few 2nd Generation Xterras. This guy's experience with the blown rear diff was not unlike the guy with the blown front diff. It was on a small hill climb, nothing that you would call "extreme" like the Rubicon or Tellico. Every truck when modified or used off-road will have parts break. EVERY TRUCK. What we need is an un-biased opinion from an outsider that owns neither, or has owned both to tell us the true pros and cons between the generations.

#669 - 26/09/06 01:58 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

This happen to an 05 frontier Nismo Front Diff going up a hill.

If I were looking it would be an 03 or 04

#670 - 26/09/06 03:17 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 2nd Gen axles are more like a Con than a Pro. There is a handful of peeps blowing front diffs, and with the aluminum housing, is subject to crack (like in the picture). As for rear axles, have you seen the ring size in the first gens? It comes close to a 9.25" diameter. Thats 1/4 inch bigger than in the Ford 9" I'm running. I am by no means, saying one generation is better than the other overall. But when it comes to axles, Nissan dropped the ball on the 2nd Gen when not keeping that H233B (SP?)

#671 - 26/09/06 04:13 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

man this is screwing me up! haha. the only thing i really DONT like about my 02 is the HP. I might just end up getting a first gen. ga im so undecided. thanks for all the feedback guys. keepit commmin.

maybe ill just get both... j/k wouldnt that be nice

#672 - 26/09/06 04:28 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow... I had not heard that the axle propblems with the 05s were common. Good info to know.

#673 - 26/09/06 07:02 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lmhin2004:
This happen to an 05 frontier Nismo Front Diff going up a hill.

No way that would happen unless it got hit. If that cracked JUST going up a hill, I'd be surprised - that just doesn't happen. It must have been hit by something. Granted, it's still a weak housing, but please mention this instead of saying "just going up a hill" if so.

#674 - 26/09/06 08:05 PM Re: Time for a new X
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
The average person will most likely be happier with a 2nd gen over a SC. IMO:

The engine, transmission, front suspension, and available traction systems on the 2nd gen's are superior to the 1st.

I prefer the styling/looks, front cab (roomier for big guys), overall exterior size/wheelbase, heaver duty axles/diffs, rear springs, and lever driven tcase on the 1st gen’s.

#675 - 26/09/06 08:23 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by armandov99:
Quote:
Originally posted by lmhin2004:
[b]This happen to an 05 frontier Nismo Front Diff going up a hill.

No way that would happen unless it got hit. If that cracked JUST going up a hill, I'd be surprised - that just doesn't happen. It must have been hit by something. Granted, it's still a weak housing, but please mention this instead of saying "just going up a hill" if so.[/b]
IIRC they decided it was an impact that cracked it.

#676 - 27/09/06 09:21 AM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

My piont was the new Trucks/Xterras have a lot of Cast parts on them and the Lockers seem to be weak on them. The 1st Gens use Steel for the diffs this seams to be a lot stronger to me. But I could be wrong.

#677 - 27/09/06 03:05 PM Re: Time for a new X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
The average person will most likely be happier with a 2nd gen over a SC. IMO:

The engine, transmission, front suspension, and available traction systems on the 2nd gen's are superior to the 1st.

I prefer the styling/looks, front cab (roomier for big guys), overall exterior size/wheelbase, heaver duty axles/diffs, rear springs, and lever driven tcase on the 1st gen’s.
Yeah, evne thought the 2nd Gen is supposedly roomier, I feel kinda cramped sitting it the driver seat. I think mine has more room in the front, although I could always use more. I'm 6"7' so...need the room.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal