2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#676485 - 09/09/11 04:55 PM X Positive Battery Terminal
Wesley Haddix Offline

Loc: United States

This is a quiz: How much did Nissan pay for the positive battery terminal on my '08 Offroad? a) less than a cent b) more than one cent c) duhhhhh, what's a postive battery terminal?

This is probably an well known problem, any direction would be appreciated.

#676486 - 09/09/11 09:17 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Wesley Haddix]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
The question in not what Nissan paid , it's what you failed to pay attention to.

It's obvious that you neglected to correct the corrosion problem that started some time ago evident by the crystalized blue corrosion shown in the picture.

It's also obvious that the excessive corrosion that was left unchecked caused the posative terminal end to rot away to nothing.

In the pic the area is clean but look closely, the area has been cleaned of corrosion and rinsed with water, the top of the battery is still wet. Show us the befor pic dude, that tells the whole story

This one is on you dude, not Nissan.

Good thing you did not need a new fusable link block , that would have been an additional 40 bucks on top of the posative terminal cost.

#676495 - 10/09/11 07:18 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
Bolt Speedman Offline

Loc: Jackson, Wisconsin
Well, I kinda disagree with Nissan Tech. My 03 had the same problem, and believe me I keep up on maintenance. I always clean the terminals and post every time I disconnect for service. That corrosion kept coming back for some odd reason. Grant it, I didn't apply any terminal protection spray or anything else at first. But it seemed like every 2 months or so, I had to clean again, until it just snapped off. And yes, it is a very cheaply made part. I went to autozone and bought a universal terminal for $4.00 and haven't had a problem since. Just bust the middle nut off and the universal should fit right in. Not sayin he's wrong, but I personally believe they skimped on that particular area.

Edited by Bolt Speedman (10/09/11 07:24 PM)

#676499 - 11/09/11 12:31 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Bolt Speedman]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
Agree with all of the above. My 04 had the same problems (including my lack of attention) Very thin metal indeed.
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#676500 - 11/09/11 01:13 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: slantyshanty]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
Kinda' with Slanty on this one. My '04, which was on it's original battery until last month, has a cheaply made ,stamped metal positive terminal. I clean it every so often, but the green fuzz keeps coming back, even after a soak in diluted baking soda. The original's still on there, but there's a back-up in the crate.

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#676508 - 12/09/11 05:10 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: RNTKnives]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
I'll readily admit that the terminal ends could have been made better , but with proper maintenance they do last.

#676510 - 12/09/11 06:44 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
Wesley Haddix Offline

Originally Posted By: Nissan_MasterTech
The question in not what Nissan paid , it's what you failed to pay attention to.

It's obvious that you neglected to correct the corrosion problem that started some time ago evident by the crystalized blue corrosion shown in the picture.

It's also obvious that the excessive corrosion that was left unchecked caused the posative terminal end to rot away to nothing.

In the pic the area is clean but look closely, the area has been cleaned of corrosion and rinsed with water, the top of the battery is still wet. Show us the befor pic dude, that tells the whole story

This one is on you dude, not Nissan.

Good thing you did not need a new fusable link block , that would have been an additional 40 bucks on top of the posative terminal cost.

Sorry, this is a known problem, and as we speak, Sentras are being recalled for the same issue. I predict the X will be recalled as well. That is the sorriest excuse for a battery terminal I've ever seen in my life. Sure, I suppose I should have removed the plastic cover before the green crystals of death began to creep from under it, but 30+ years of driving, I've never seen a terminal on a car so new go to hell so quickly. That copper strap is about !/2 or less the thicknness of a penny.

I'll be fixing this one myself; the last time my car was in the stealership some mechanic left a loose bolt in the intake. Said loose bolt ended up wedged in intake valve #2. The dealer tried to make me eat a new engine and labor (no joke). Fuck dealears.

You could also pay attention to the increasingly poor quality of components like this on cars before you get on your big white "Master Tech" horse and tell us poor masses what incompetents we are. That battery terminal strap is a piece of shit, period, and probably cost Nissan all of 99 cents. New heavy duty terminal, new fusible link block (you think I"m going to trust this now?) and a condenser system.

Yours with a cinder block and tube of KY,

ZEN

#676520 - 13/09/11 11:53 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Wesley Haddix]
Wesley Haddix Offline

PartsforNissans.com. Call, don't go by the diagrams, they're about as good as the battery terminal. $44 plus overnight. If this happens to you, I recommend replacing the entire fusible link block ($20); it uncips from the battery cable to the starter and the new one clips on. Really a neat piece of engineering EXCEPT FOR THE FUCKING $.02 BATTERY CLAMP. Whatever idiot designed this forgot that a lot of heat and amperage goes through that thin little piece of copper and is probably as responsible for the deterioration of the clamp as any anode corrosion.

Edited by Wesley Haddix (13/09/11 11:54 AM)

#676522 - 13/09/11 03:21 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Wesley Haddix]
Bolt Speedman Offline

Like I said in my previous post, all you have to do is go to the fix-it aisle at the parts store, get a universal terminal end for $4.00. Undo the bolt that held the piece of chit on, clean, apply terminal protection spray ($3.00 a can at Walmart), install new terminal and no more worries. Why replace the whole thing if it ain't broke?

As far as Nissan Tech goes, I don't blame him for being offended by some of the posts on here. He doesn't have to give advice to anyone, especially someone with an attitude. He takes pride in his work just like the rest of us hard working, underpaid Americans! I find his advice very helpful and I appreciate all the advice I get from this site. Face it, whenever you have to put out money for any type of repair, it's going to piss you off. Weather you have a "stealership" or Back Yard Bob do the work. At least I know that someone who specializes in Nissan is probably more qualified than your buddy who'll do the work for a case of beer.

Edited by Bolt Speedman (13/09/11 03:30 PM)

#676529 - 14/09/11 02:49 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Bolt Speedman]
Wesley Haddix Offline

Originally Posted By: Bolt Speedman
Like I said in my previous post, all you have to do is go to the fix-it aisle at the parts store, get a universal terminal end for $4.00. Undo the bolt that held the piece of chit on, clean, apply terminal protection spray ($3.00 a can at Walmart), install new terminal and no more worries. Why replace the whole thing if it ain't broke?

As far as Nissan Tech goes, I don't blame him for being offended by some of the posts on here. He doesn't have to give advice to anyone, especially someone with an attitude. He takes pride in his work just like the rest of us hard working, underpaid Americans! I find his advice very helpful and I appreciate all the advice I get from this site. Face it, whenever you have to put out money for any type of repair, it's going to piss you off. Weather you have a "stealership" or Back Yard Bob do the work. At least I know that someone who specializes in Nissan is probably more qualified than your buddy who'll do the work for a case of beer.

Yep, that is definitely one way to do it. I will be replacing the POS copper ring on the distribution block with a heavier duty item. The question at hand is why Nissan put such a shitty piece on the vehicle to begin with. Ad as far as Nissan Tech goes, he is entitled to his opinion. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need you sticking up for him, and this was never about him anyway. I still maintain that postitive battery clamp was woefully inadequate for anything but a Sears riding lawn mower and had no business on a vehicle like the X. If he wants to jump in and presume he knows how I take care of my vehicles and then lay blame on me for, well, fuck him if he can't take a joke. Same for you. Now go clean your battery terminal and STFU. Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, I know it's probably socially challenging to drive a pink car.

Edited by Wesley Haddix (14/09/11 02:52 PM)

#676530 - 14/09/11 05:04 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Wesley Haddix]
Bolt Speedman Offline

Wow. You forget, you came to this site for information and advice. Then you turned it into a pissing match. I'm not sticking up for anyone here. I break it down how it is. You really think your fucking badd-ass. Go complain on some other site. Fucking Keyboard Warrior. Come tell me to fuck off in my face and see what happens. I'll send u my address and then we'll see how tuff you are. JUNIOR MEMBER!! ANALYZE THAT, FUCKHEAD!!

#676539 - 15/09/11 07:40 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Bolt Speedman]
granitex Offline

Loc: Columbus. Oh
I like this,, this thread goes from a genaric piss and moan to borderline ALR in the first page. Have not seen that in a long time.

#676542 - 15/09/11 03:36 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: granitex]
Bolt Speedman Offline

Some people just get under your skin, I hope his timing belt snaps and he try's to restart.

#676548 - 15/09/11 08:49 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Bolt Speedman]
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

#676549 - 15/09/11 09:19 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: XOC]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
Best thread on here in quite some time. Dayumm... why don't all the regular ass-hats chime in when you want them to?

I'm just sayin...

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#676566 - 16/09/11 08:03 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: RNTKnives]
XOC Offline
Admin

Nothing quite like a little bit o drama to liven things up smile

#676573 - 17/09/11 05:30 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: XOC]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Damn. Where's NYMM or Sharam when you need 'em to keep a good flame burning?

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#676587 - 19/09/11 03:10 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Bolt Speedman]
Wesley Haddix Offline

Originally Posted By: Bolt Speedman
Wow. You forget, you came to this site for information and advice. Then you turned it into a pissing match. I'm not sticking up for anyone here. I break it down how it is. You really think your fucking badd-ass. Go complain on some other site. Fucking Keyboard Warrior. Come tell me to fuck off in my face and see what happens. I'll send u my address and then we'll see how tuff you are. JUNIOR MEMBER!! ANALYZE THAT, FUCKHEAD!!

The NEW OEM Positive battery terminal.

Actually, I came here for advice, and I belive it was another member who acccused my neglect of being the problem. FYI, that terminal went from nice and shiny, like I keep em, to that corroded mess in less than three months, those three months being AFTER I had the cervical fusions in my avatar, when I could not drive, much less do maintenance. Also interesting is the return to a heavy lead terminal instead of that cheap thin copper strap that came on the car.

So before you jump to conclusions on who is schooling who here, and without going into a discussion electrical engineering, here's a pic of the rest of my engine bay. Fuckhead.

#676589 - 19/09/11 03:32 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Wesley Haddix]
Bolt Speedman Offline

Nice, but you forgot to paint it pink! Like I said, when you finally get your balls out of your wife's purse, look me up sometime. I'd be happy to shove that rotten piece of copper up your cock-slot!

#676709 - 06/10/11 11:10 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Bolt Speedman]
Downshift_Utah Offline

Mine is currently a fricking old pair of vice-grips, while I try and find an OEM replacement.
I have a good old fashioned lead positive terminal, time to tear the OEM piece apart and bolt on the end of this new lead piece.

Thanks for the pics guys, you answered the question and fixed the problem I didn't have to ask =)

Master tech, what makes you think the OP was actually responsible for the shoddy maintenance? I purchased this X recently (it is my third 2003 X, and first with this problem) and it had this problem already. Lay off the being a jackass, and impart a little of the master tech knowledge without the attitude.

#677285 - 14/12/11 12:53 PM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: Downshift_Utah]
ZenBiker Offline

Loc: Virginia
This is the final setup. Marine brass positive terminal and accessory condenser/grounding kit. I'll keep an eye on this, but I don't think this terminal is going to corrode like the pressed metal OEM terminals

#677294 - 15/12/11 09:39 AM Re: X Positive Battery Terminal [Re: ZenBiker]
XOC Offline
Admin

looks nice

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal