2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#677767 - 25/01/12 12:01 PM Truck dying while stopped and while driving
Joe-Nathan Offline

Loc: St. Martinville, LA
Here we go:

I have a 2000 X 4x4 w/ about 173000miles.

This issues occurs once truck is warmed up and mostly when in heavy traffic.

My girl will die while stopped at red lights, but only after I have been there for roughly 30+ seconds. She doesn't do it at every light. She will be idling fine then just die. I have gotten into the habit of keeping the rpms up so that she doesn't, but still get the big RPM die off.

Now she is added another problem to the mix:

She is starting this dying game while driving at hwy speeds.

Pretty much every time she dies, she will start right back up. But every now and then, once started she will run like cylinders are miss firing or starving for fuel.

I do not get any warning lights after, not even the SES light.

So, here is a list of recent work:
replaced distributor - 2 years ago
timing belt - 1.5 years ago
Brake master cylinder unit - 2 months ago
Pass valve cover gastet - 4 days ago

This problem started about 4 months ago. At first it was once a week. Now it is every day.

My girl is getting long in the tooth, but she is still my girl. I hate seeing here like this.
So fellow X'ers what do you think the problem could be?

Edited by Joe-Nathan (25/01/12 12:01 PM)
2011 Titan CC Pro-4x (Smoke)
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#677768 - 25/01/12 12:23 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
first off, outstanding info included with this post ! not sure if it will matter to anyone else, but one thing you didnt mention is the trany, auto or manual? Now, have you had the codes read at all? even though you are not seeing any warning lights, or the SES light, there could still be some codes hiding in there to indicate something. Almost sounds like it could be a fuel issue, blocked/dirty filter or maybe the fuel pump.

first thing you can do is to get the codes, see if anything shows up that might help. (some auto parts stores will read them for free if you dont have access to a code reader). Also, try running a can of sea foam through it to see if it helps clean it up at all, not saying it would be a problem solver, but maybe at least help clean some stuff out on the very slight chance it could be something that simple.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#677771 - 25/01/12 04:05 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: e207]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Thanks Capt.

I have an auto transmission.

I changed the fuel filter (took a bath gas in the process) about 3.5 years ago. 8-)

Did the seafoam thing about 2 years ago.

Will try to get AutoZone to pull the codes from when I get a chance. Just been way to busy at work.

I should have also included that it almost never does it when I am pulling my heavy a$$ go-devil boat.

Edited by Joe-Nathan (25/01/12 04:57 PM)
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#677794 - 28/01/12 08:24 AM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Check the codes. Check the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor can produce similar symptoms. If the MAF sensor is ok, check the intake tube from the air cleaner box to the engine for any cracks or breaks.

k_enn

#677800 - 29/01/12 07:38 AM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: k_enn]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Only code I had was the typical P0325 Knock Sensor code that was probably generated when my girls dies.

I will try and clean the mass airflow sensor. That is something that I have never done. And that fact that my air filter was solid dirt last time I changed it does not help.

#677803 - 29/01/12 01:14 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
Before you start messing with the mass air flow sensor try some basic diagnosis first.

An engine needs basically 3 things to make it run...

1.spark
2.fuel
3.compression

If any one of those 3 are missing it wont run or won't run correctly.

Figure out what is missing usually gives you a good starting point to begin a more in depth diagnosis.

#677816 - 30/01/12 06:46 AM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Thanks for you help guys.

Spark good, compression good.

I have been leaning towards fuel problem all along. Either the fuel sending unit or the fuel pump.

I will take it to a mech I know to check out the fuel system.

Now I have started to change the way I drive last week, I am not driving like Smokey and the Bandit anymore. I have noticed that the problem does not occur nearly as much when I drive like Ms Daisy.

Edited by Joe-Nathan (30/01/12 06:47 AM)

#677819 - 30/01/12 04:09 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
Some of the early 2k X's had fuel sending unit issues. chek it for yourself.

remove the rear passenger seat bottom cushion, under there you'll see an metal access cover, remove the bolts that hold it down ,once you do you'll be looking at the top od the fuel sending unit/pump mogule.

Try wiggling the large grey connector and our unplug it and check for poor connections or corrosion. you may find your problem.

#677824 - 31/01/12 01:18 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
never thought of that one MsterTech, I actually went through that with me Rodeo, the wire actually corroded off right on top of the fuel pump, would drive fine for a few days, then some days it would shut off several times, sometimes start right up, sometimes it took a few tries.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#677827 - 01/02/12 04:14 AM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: e207]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
I don't remember if it was a recall or just a TSB, but the sending unit was a known problem on the early X's. The problem was that the connector wasn't protected very well and being where it is, it can get road salt/dirt/grime/water on it and that tended to make it corrode. The fix was that Nissan would replace the connector and/or the sending unit and then pack the connector with electrical grease to prevent from further corrosion. There were several threads on here discussing it. But, from what you say, that sounds like your problem.

If when you check it you do find that's the issue, try to find out if it has ever been corrected through the recall/TSB. If it hasn't, you may be able to get Nissan to fix it for you.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#677829 - 01/02/12 04:36 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Gonzo-2]
Joe-Nathan Offline

I need to check my records b/c I do remember the recall. And I am pretty sure I went in for the recall. I could always call me dealership and check there records.

And I did have to drive through some deep water this hunting season and during the summer storm chasing locally.

I will pull of the cover this weekend and give you guys and update.

Thanks for the help.

That reminds me, I need to get all of my hunting gear out of my truck and give her a well deserved cleaning. Then I can start on the long ass honey do list....

#677831 - 02/02/12 06:07 AM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Joe-Nathan Offline

So I found this little piece of info this morning:

LINKY: http://auto-recalls.justia.com/nissan/xterra/2000/04v230000/

Quote:
Make : NISSAN Model : XTERRA Year : 2000
Build Dates : 1999-03-04 - 2003-03-15
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V230000
Date Owner's Notified: 2004-06-28 Date Received by ODI: 2004-05-24 Date Added to Database: 2004-05-24
Manufacturers Involved: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall:
Manufacturer Campaign Number:
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 586196
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH SIX CYLINDER ENGINES AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FOUR OR SIX CYLINDER ENGINES, THE FUEL PUMP TERMINAL ON THE FUEL-SENDING UNIT CAN DEVELOP A CRACK IN THE PLASTIC MOLDING. THIS CAN CAUSE THE TERMINAL STRIP TO CORRODE UNDER SOME ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS.
Consequence:
IF CORROSION OCCURS, THE TERMINAL STRIP COULD EVENTUALLY BREAK CAUSING THE FUEL PUMP TO STOP OPERATION. THIS WILL RESULT IN NOT BEING ABLE TO START THE ENGINE OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
IN THE FOLLOWING STATES, DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL-SENDING UNIT. THESE STATES ARE CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. IN THE OTHER STATES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE FUEL PUMP TERMINAL ON THE SENDING UNIT FOR CORROSION. IF CORROSION IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE UNIT. IF THERE IS NOT CORROSION, THE DEALER WILL APPLY SEALANT TO THE TERMINAL HOUSING TO HELP PREVENT CORROSION IN THE FUTURE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JUNE 28, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Report Initiator: MFR V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT '1-888-327-4236'.

I am in a state that was not under the mandatory replacement, but inspection. So I will be pulling the cover tomorrow afternoon to inspect.

Can the connection be simply replaced or do I need to replace the whole sending unit?
Since my girl is 12 yo, I do not expect Nissan to replace the unit. So I will be putting my DIY hat on once again.

#677860 - 04/02/12 09:57 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
The fuel pump on my 2001 just failed this week. I was driving down the highway and the engine suddenly died. After a couple tries, the Xterra started up and ran fine for the next 300 miles of driving. I got back to my home town and took it to the dealership. Fuel pump was their diagnosis, and I trust these guys. The X seems to be running fine with a new fuel pump.

After 11 years, I still love my Xterra.

#677864 - 05/02/12 08:36 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Andre the Giant]
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
There was a recall way back when having to do with corrosion on the fuel pump electrical connections - wonder if it was related to that or something else.

Glad she's running again!

(Edit - just noticed the posts above... looks like I was a bit late to the party.... oh well)

Edited by Kaiser (05/02/12 08:38 PM)

#678217 - 27/03/12 12:20 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Kaiser]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Well I am finally getting around to fix my girl after she almost left me on the side of the road yesterday. Figures since I just gave her her post hunting season bath. I just ordered the LAST fuel sending unit for the 2000 Xterra over at http://www.courtesyparts.com/. Sells rep was very helpful as usual.

Seems like it is an easy DIY job.

What is the trick to getting the fuel lines disconnected. I remember it was not easy when I changed my fuel filter a couple years ago.

Is there a special tool or should I use some needle nose pliers?

#678267 - 04/04/12 04:03 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Joe-Nathan Offline

That was a fairly simple job.

Except for the one ODD BALL fuel line connect on the inside of tank. Total time would have been about 30-45mins minus the one connection that gave me fits.

Just make sure you relieve the pressure in the fuel system before you begin work.

Thanks for you help. Now lets see if this fixed the problem.

#678274 - 05/04/12 03:33 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
02blown Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi,tx
the same thing happend to me i cleaned the mass airflow and stilll didnt work so i replaced it and fixed it

#678406 - 25/04/12 12:09 PM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: 02blown]
Joe-Nathan Offline

I truly believe that the root to all my fuel problems of late can be blamed on E10 gas.

#678524 - 12/05/12 08:59 AM Re: Truck dying while stopped and while driving [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Alright got my girl running again.

So I replace the Fuel sending unit, it did have some corrosion at the connections, but that was not the main problem. During my DIY checking of all potential problems I found out that my Mass Airflow Sensor was root of all my problems. After ordering the part from Courtesy Parts in Dallas http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/xterra.php, I installed (less that 20 min) it. Now I back to running again.

On a side note I have found a somewhat local NO Ethanol gas station. Cost about $.20/gal more, but the benefit of more power and better fuel mileage will pay off in the long run. Plus not running that corrosive crap called ethanol will help out too.

So less than $300 dollars in parts and I am up and running.

Once again the search function on this forum has helped out greatly.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal