2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#678463 - 03/05/12 08:58 AM Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments
X_Terry Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario
I owned a 2003 SE/SC Xterra up until Wednesday night when it got totalled (I pretty sure).

My question is: Do I buy another one?

We are talking about something getting something in the 2006 and 2009 range. Other options are the Frontier, Toyota Tacoma and a few more. But I coming back the the X...maybe I bumped my head worse that I thought.

So I need the good and the bad. I know I can get the "straight dope" here.

What are the major problems that seem to be systemic to this version of the X?

Should I be aware of certain things when inspecting the vehicle, such as rust or paint?

Any particular engine or transmission I need to avoid?

Has Nissan quality improved since the 2003 I had?

What's the worst thing about owning on of these? and

What do you like the best?

I had all those problems typical of the 2003 SE/SC. The cracked manifolds, knock sensor, loss of low end power, the premium fuel, paint, abysmal fuel economy, wonky O2 sensors, A/C coolant leakage, pitiful dealership service, well...you get the picture.

But I will say this: it has done everything we expected of it. Including being fully loaded with camping gear, being fully loaded with camping gear AND towing a 13' Boler travel trailer. Other than the above problems, it has been thoroughly reliable and never left use stranded (except for the alternator...but luckily that was in our driveway). It soldiered on for almost 230,000 kms (143,000 miles).

It was a love/hate relationship at times, I admit.

And this, too, must be said: Regardless of which ever truck I end up with, the Xterra Owner's Group has been extremely helpful whenever I had problems with the X. So that means I relied on it a lot, it seems!

Anything I needed find out about my X, I found on the XOC and from everyone who has contributed whatever they can. Thank-you!

But when my X was totalled, I walked away with just a couple of scratches. My X died so I could live.

#678810 - 27/06/12 09:52 PM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: X_Terry]
Cliff Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A
If you want to tow get the automatic. The clutch can't handle towing. From what I understand the additional power also means better fuel economy, though not really great gas mileage. I have seen 20 on the highway at 65. I own an 06 offroad. It was an early assembly for that year and had issues with the rear differential, replaced under warranty with a heavier duty one with 2 spider gears instead of the one in early models. The other issue with the 2nd gen is the fuel sending unit. It has and extended warranty of 50,000 miles, so if the used vehicle you purchase has over 50,000 you probably need to find out if the warranty work has been done. This truck has been a lot of fun to drive, and goes anywhere.

#678814 - 28/06/12 09:56 AM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: X_Terry]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
If getting a new one, I'd be torn, as I has a lot into the 2001 I have that would mostly not be re-usable...

But, on the other hand, the 2005+ X's have more power AND better economy, and more room inside, etc....and a factory rear locker is hard to ignore as an option.

laugh

If off roading it more seriously, you might need to beef the front diff up...they seem to be fine with 33's for the most part...but the 1st gen X's front diffs were tougher in general.

Edited by TJ (28/06/12 09:56 AM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#678816 - 28/06/12 03:57 PM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: TJ]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
If you do by a 2005 or higher X or Frontier be sure to buy an extended warranty.

Trust me,You'll need it !

#678823 - 29/06/12 11:27 AM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Loc: St. Martinville, LA
Originally Posted By: Nissan_MasterTech
If you do by a 2005 or higher X or Frontier be sure to buy an extended warranty.

Trust me,You'll need it !

Yup, I have been reading all the transmission cooler/radiator problems...can't believe there was not a formal recall.

I passed purchasing a used (but low,low milage) 05' with mods b/c of all the issues I have been reading about.

I will just have to wait and purchase a new X will they are still making them.
2011 Titan CC Pro-4x (Smoke)
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#678890 - 10/07/12 09:39 AM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Nighthawk Offline

Loc: Riverdale, New York, USA
I just traded in my 04 owned X and used to as down payment for a new Pro-4 X.

Let me tell you it is night day as far as driving it.

Love the new Truck better engine and all the goodies that come with it.

My parents have a the 11 pathfinder and the new X to me is like driving a mini Path as far as engine goes.

(I know the X is 260hp compared to the 360hp in new Pathfinders)

#678959 - 25/07/12 07:16 PM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: Nighthawk]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Nighthawk
I just traded in my 04 owned X and used to as down payment for a new Pro-4 X.

Let me tell you it is night day as far as driving it.

Love the new Truck better engine and all the goodies that come with it.

My parents have a the 11 pathfinder and the new X to me is like driving a mini Path as far as engine goes.

(I know the X is 260hp compared to the 360hp in new Pathfinders)

I hope you and your parents purchased an extended warranty, as I mentioned earlier.
You'll be needing it as days go by.

#679418 - 08/11/12 04:34 PM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Originally Posted By: Nissan_MasterTech

Are there any years that are decent or are all suspect? Surly by now any systemic issues have been addressed?

Edited by DocNo (08/11/12 04:34 PM)

#679456 - 15/11/12 09:22 AM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: DocNo]
Xearth Offline

Loc: Smyrna tn
Xearth

Loc: Smyrna tn
Hey guys .. I'm back after a good long hiatus.. Still driving my 2000 se.. Been a great ride for many years.. Not really anything wrong with it about 130k. Done general maintenance. Here's the deal. I'm looking at the new ProX 4's.. Want one built in Smyrna so it's time to buy it now... What kind of feedback can I get on this one. Things to look out for?. What a good price would be. There's not many options on a pro, but what tricks does any one know. Any stories on Nashville area dealers, etc. appreciate any feedback?

#679486 - 08/12/12 08:52 AM Re: Replacing my 2003 SE/SC with a newer X. Opinions, Comments [Re: Xearth]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
You should be able to get a new Pro 4X for around 27K - 28K with all the bells and whistles (except leather). These are still good trucks, and one of the best buys out there. I recently got one to replace my first gen.

If you get an automatic, you may want to do a little research and find out if the SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death), a leaking of coolant into the transmission is still an issue on the new models. If it is still an issue, there is an easy by-pass mod that can be done. No problems with the manual transmission, although some people complain of a short clutch life (could be they over use the clutch - life is highly dependent on how you use it).

The spyder gears in the front diff are weaker than the first gens, but should hold up if you don't abuse the drive train off road. If you are planning on heavy off-roading, ARB now makes a front locker that replaces the spyder gears, and I hear it is pretty strong.

Aftermarket product selection is better for the second generation than it is for the first. If there is any chance that you will go off-road, do *not* get the factory step rails, but get a set of aftermarket rock sliders instead.

k_enn

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal