2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6869 - 16/02/05 04:04 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope they make the Gladiator. Slim chance though.

For now, I can live with the IFS. [Finger] laugh

#6870 - 16/02/05 04:11 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DennisAJC:
I should shut my yap too because this is an Xterra Forum.

Yeah, soooo why are you a member here?? Shouldnt you be at a hummer forum?

I smell an attention whore... i guess you do fit into the Hummer H2 owner category afterall.

#6871 - 16/02/05 04:16 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
[b]I hope they make the Gladiator. Slim chance though.

For now, I can live with the IFS. [Finger] laugh [/b]
I guess in that case the size of the vehicle comes in handy since there looks to be ZERO flex.

#6872 - 16/02/05 04:17 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tahoe_x:
Quote:
[b]I should shut my yap too because this is an Xterra Forum.

Yeah, soooo why are you a member here?? Shouldnt you be at a hummer forum?

I smell an attention whore... i guess you do fit into the Hummer H2 owner category afterall.[/b]
Not really, wifey and I have always liked Xterras. But main reason is looking for other wheelers to run with.

I've been in contact with Claus and his modded X. Hopefully we can get a meet going here in B.C.

P.S. Any of you guys ever wheeled Sand Lake in Oregon?

#6873 - 16/02/05 04:24 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
I guess in that case the size of the vehicle comes in handy since there looks to be ZERO flex.[/QB]
This is as flexy as it will get unfortunately. But it's very rare when I've had to rely on flex.

#6874 - 16/02/05 04:54 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did the five year olds leave yet? :rolleyes:

We have a discussion going on PNWX about this discussion, and I'm just reposting my response there.

"My neighbors drove one and said it was really nice to drive and the suspension soaks up even the biggest bumps. no surprise considering it's target market though. My neighbors have a GMC 2500HD pickup, which is closely related, and there's no doubt that with the right tires it would kick the Xterras ass offroad, but only if it fits on the trail! Anyway, my point is that assuming nothing breaks (My neighbor has had tie rod, balljoint, and driveshaft issues on his HD) and it doesn't get stuck between two trees, it should do very well offroad.

Sometimes I don't really blame guys like him for having a fit. The poser Xterra guys on XOC think they are queens of the mountain or something. I mean, I love my Xterra and would never, ever own anything as pretentious as an H2, but I'm well aware that it's not the most capable offroad vehicle. My feeling is that if someone actually wheels a Hummer instead of just driving it over speed bumps at the mall, then they're OK.

Concerning the H3; I actually kinda like it, although I think it's too pricey. My biggest beef with the Hummers now is that GM has made the Hummer name synonymous (sp?) with "mall cruiser," which is sad considering it's roots as a durable military vehicle. And I'm freaking sick and tired of H2's with 12 TV screens!"

Anyway, if you wheel with Claus you'll have a good time no matter who gets stuck first! Wish I could be there too, but it's not likely.

Regarding Sand Lake; IMO, it's fun for a few hours, but sand isn't really my thing. I prefer long trails where the scenery and terrain keeps changing. GOing around and around over the same things over and over bores me pretty quick. However, there are some nice camping spots down there, so you can always have a good end of the day campfire party! laugh

#6875 - 16/02/05 05:35 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

YES FINALLY ANOTHER H2 OWNER ON THE X BOARD (DenisAJC). xboys,,,head over to the h2 forum (elcova.com/h2) and take a look at some of the "pussy bitch" H2s that people have built up and "hardly ever" take off road. Take a look at some of the videos that are available or still pics for that matter. check out TrailDuty's H2. then keep talking.

#6876 - 16/02/05 05:50 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Uhm John.

A)I don't think people really care that much.

B) This is an X board. People are going to be a we bit biased toward their nameplate regardless what it is.

C) This discussion wasn't about the H2 in the first place.

D) You're getting really bent out of shape over an internet conversation about cars.

E) 90% of all SUVs including H2s AND Xterras never see dirt. They are all mall crawlers in the eyes of self proclaimed "Hard Core Wheelers."

H2s are big and slow and heavy and expensive and the reality is that it's not practical to most people to have a $50K+ superwide and superheavy trail rig. It's also midly amusing to many that the H2 has become a status symbol in the vein of the Escalade and are being decked out with 24" wheels and video screens at a much higher rate than they are being equipped for real off road use.

With the exception of Rod Hall no one is getting a free H2 to go wild in and doing 10 inch drop down bracket lifts that cost $2,500 to get a whopping 12 inches of wheel travel to fit 37inch tires is not setting the off-road world on fire.

Hardcore = cage and other safety equipment. And thus far I've yet to see many X's or H2s with either.

Have fun and enjoy your H2. But please keep your interaction here friendly.

#6877 - 16/02/05 06:16 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Uhm John.

A)I don't think people really care that much.

B) This is an X board. People are going to be a we bit biased toward their nameplate regardless what it is.

C) This discussion wasn't about the H2 in the first place.

D) You're getting really bent out of shape over an internet conversation about cars.

E) 90% of all SUVs including H2s AND Xterras never see dirt. They are all mall crawlers in the eyes of self proclaimed "Hard Core Wheelers."

H2s are big and slow and heavy and expensive and the reality is that it's not practical to most people to have a $50K+ superwide and superheavy trail rig. It's also midly amusing to many that the H2 has become a status symbol in the vein of the Escalade and are being decked out with 24" wheels and video screens at a much higher rate than they are being equipped for real off road use.

With the exception of Rod Hall no one is getting a free H2 to go wild in and doing 10 inch drop down bracket lifts that cost $2,500 to get a whopping 12 inches of wheel travel to fit 37inch tires is not setting the off-road world on fire.

Hardcore = cage and other safety equipment. And thus far I've yet to see many X's or H2s with either.

Have fun and enjoy your H2. But please keep your interaction here friendly.
*applause*

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

#6878 - 16/02/05 06:29 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[b]I hope they make the Gladiator. Slim chance though.

For now, I can live with the IFS. [Finger] laugh [/b]
Umm, if that IFS had any flex whatsoever, the cab wouldn't even be CLOSE to losing paint on that wall...

The other picture shows that yeah, the rear has decent flex; not any better than any other solid axle, but at least as good, also.

But that front has virtually no flex whatsoever. Even a Nissan IFS flexes better than that...

#6879 - 16/02/05 06:53 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been on this Forum since April. Mostly reading and laughing with you guys. Never to troll. You guys are in majority a very decent bunch. [ThumbsUp]

I'll return to my hole and enjoy the next few months reading along. [Wave]

Lookin foward to meeting up with you Claus.

#6880 - 16/02/05 08:46 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

HOLY SHIT!

I post a simple question, and start a war.
socalpunX i agree, it wasn't about the h2 at all, not a money thing, nor about big cocks.

i just though the H3 looked pretty mean.

speaking of mean.. i'd love a gladitor too, always liked the scrambler, cj8's but have you seen jeep's hurricane? never get built.. but if i had a million laying around i'd build my own. zero turning radius.. just sick

:p

Jeep® Hurricane Specifications:
Weight (estimated): 3,850 lbs. (1,746 kg)
Length: 151.8 inches (3,856 mm)
Wheelbase: 108.1 inches (2,746 mm)
Front Overhang: 25.0 inches (635 mm)
Rear Overhang: 18.7 inches (475mm)
Width: 80.0 inches (2,033 mm)
Height: 68.2 inches (1,732 mm)
Track, Frt/Rr: 67.5/67.5 inches (1,715/1,715 mm)
Engine: two 5.7-liter HEMI® engines
Transfer Case: Custom multi-mode with 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1 ratios
Transmission: 5-Speed automatic
Front and Rear Suspension: Long-travel, short/long arm independent
Ground Clearance: 14.3 inches (363 mm)
Break-Over Angle: 31.5 degrees
Approach/Depart Angle: 64.0/86.7 degrees
Tire Size: 305/70R20
Wheel Size: 20x10 inches

#6881 - 16/02/05 09:19 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Now that this thread is sort of back on track............ :rolleyes:

The H3 does look good and it is going to be competition for the X, but that's a good thing.

For awhile there I was worried the car companies were never going to even try to make off-road "capable" mid-size suv's anymore.

Now if I could just get past that made by GM problem............................... :p

#6882 - 16/02/05 09:25 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] Im with socalpunX 100% on this one. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

I think the H2 and H3 are more of a car for looking cool rather then anything else, and i dont know about you guys but 10,000 dollars is a freaking leap of a price-range, not a step

#6883 - 16/02/05 09:45 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Claus Offline

Quote:
I've been on this Forum since April. Mostly reading and laughing with you guys. Never to troll. You guys are in majority a very decent bunch. [ThumbsUp]

I'll return to my hole and enjoy the next few months reading along. [Wave]

Lookin foward to meeting up with you Claus.
Likewise....we are doing some work at y house on Sunday, If you are out for a drive let me know and I'll give you the address..there shoud be about 4-6 guys from the club. I am re doing the front swarbar, adjusting the torsions and such...cold beer in the garage fridge.

#6884 - 16/02/05 10:12 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
GM is just trying to use what we have all seen on TV in Iraq, movies and what we have heard as far as the capabilities of the REAL Hummer go to sell their version. No offense to any Hummer owners, you like it-good for you, enjoy your rig! If they had merged with, I belive AM General was the maker of the original?, and helped them produce a economical civilian version rather than putting a block on a Chevy Silverado frame-I'd be impressed.

I guess I'd love the H2 if I looked like this!
laugh

Again, no offense to DennisAJC. Thanks for sharing your video!

#6885 - 17/02/05 12:03 AM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

None taken! laugh

I've always loved the H1. WAY too expensive. It'll never be an H1. That's why they call it an H2! [LOL]

7992 more payments, and it's all mine. [Too much XOC]

#6886 - 17/02/05 05:12 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
I'd take a Dodge Power Wagon over an H2. I always felt the Power Wagon is as close to a Unimog as any American vehicle is going to get.

1: it has solid axles (Dana 60 and 80?) front and back.

2: high load capacity (2500 series) with open bed in the back.

3: comes stock with winch, lockers, and sway bar disconnects - superior flex.

4: has the people and cargo capacity to do excursion type of voyage off road travelling

5: very powerful HEMI engine

6: relatively affordable

Not one other offroad vehicle can give you all these features in one package. A Rubicon might be more nimble, but doesn't have 1/4 the carrying capacity. A G-Wagen is nice, but it's 3 times the price. A Hummer doesn't have the carrying capacity either. Other pickups can't match the flex and traction the Power Wagon offers.

#6887 - 18/02/05 06:13 AM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Not one other offroad vehicle can give you all these features in one package. A Rubicon might be more nimble, but doesn't have 1/4 the carrying capacity. A G-Wagen is nice, but it's 3 times the price. A Hummer doesn't have the carrying capacity either. Other pickups can't match the flex and traction the Power Wagon offers.
Yeah, and as long as you have nice, wide open trails to ride on, it'll work for 'ya...

I've got a Frontier CC LB, and I have a hard time on some of the trails in the East, due to the tight arse turns. No way in hell would a full-size ANYTHING be able to fit. That's why they're called "Jeep Trails"... I've dented the hell out of my bed on some of these tight turns. I also have to rely on the sliders A LOT! you know...put the slider against a tree or rock on the side, take it out of 4wd, turn on rear locker, turn the wheel, and then slam the gas to spin the rear around.

Out west there's plenty of places a full-size could offroad. Back east, those trails are few and far between. Anyplace a full-size can fit, we normally call an "Access Road"...

#6888 - 25/08/05 01:08 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
.....Mabye Jeeps or Toyotas we'd take seriously. But Nissans/Datsuns just for pure amusement. .....[/b]
This shows what an ignorant guy he is.

Hey Dennis:

There are PLENTY of Nissans out there that will school your rig. You cannot even fit up many trails in Colorado....

You have a locked grocery getter; that's all. WAY too big for a trail rig. What a waste of money.

Once I'm locked (~6 mos), I'll school your a$$ any day of the week (for $20K less than yours)

My email address is public.

[Finger]

EDIT:

Specifically, I'd like to see your rig get through this spot:

#6889 - 25/08/05 03:07 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't drive an H anything on pricipal alone. Aside from that, it wouldnt fit on a lot of the trails I go on. Also (not GM's fault, I blame MTV for this) Hummer has become a bling icon more than off road.
"MTV, who has done everything in their power to destroy music as we know it..." - Louis Black.
Might be a great vehicle, but I'll never know.
Ask someone why the HUM-V is good off-road, likely response is, "they must be good, the Army replaced the jeep with them." But the army is fighting a war not off-roading.

#6890 - 25/08/05 03:24 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MediStorm:
......But the army is fighting a war not off-roading.
That's not exactly true.

The 4-wheel IFS with huge ground clearance and 38" tires makes the H1 very capable of traveling at high speeds offroad. It's not a great rock crawler, but excels in what it was designed for. I can drive over an obstacle that I would need to stop the X for at 20 mph in an H1.

When I was in Korea, I regularly drove up a "road" with basketball++ sized rocks without even slowing down. The X would need to go S-L-O-W and have significant trouble.

#6891 - 25/08/05 03:44 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of our local members Grn-X turned to the Dark H3 side. Must admit, it looked like a nice rig from the look we had at our last local meeting. I'd consider one if it wasn't $8,000+ more expensive than the new X, plus a hell of alot more expensive for parts / service in the long run.

#6892 - 25/08/05 04:49 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
I actually saw this bumper sticker on a jeep cherokee today...."Real women don't ride a hummer....they GIVE them!!"

#6893 - 25/08/05 06:26 PM Re: Rather an H3 or xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the only way i would by a hummer is if it came with a .50 cal on the roof! Since i really don't think that i am able to get my hands on one i will stick with a truck that really fits my needs

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal