2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#674287 - 05/01/11 01:50 AM XM radio losing signal and distorted. .
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)

Just traded my old 2003 in last week for a 2011. This one came with factory XM but it is completely loosing the signal quite a bit when I’m not under any obstructions (trees, tall building etc) and the audio is distorted when it does get signal. You can especially hear it when the DJ’s are talking and in the higher notes of songs.

The XM antenna is actually under the roof rack’s air dam and roof lights but I’m not sure if having those above it is causing the interference or if there is something wrong with the antenna or one of the other components.

I had a plug and play Sirius radio connected to my previous Xterra with the antenna raised about 6” above the roof on a bracket and did not have any trouble around trees, buildings and even inside parking garages. However this factory one is loosing signal even while on the highway without trees and under things like overhangs in drive thrus.

Went to the dealership yesterday and a tech rode with me. The radio cut out several times and I pointed out the distortion. When we got back he said he honestly did not know allot about the satellite radio system and looked to see if there were any TSBs on the XM radios. Only thing he found was something about the signal being blocked when around buildings but did not offer any further solution.

I am going to try taking off the gear basket and air dam / lights setup and drive for a day to see if that helps before I go back and ask them to try replacing the antenna or the receiver.

Anyone else with factory XM with the antenna under the roof rack having a similar problem?

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#674290 - 05/01/11 09:52 AM Re: XM radio losing signal and distorted. . [Re: Ramness]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Not sure if this will help but I just got an XM receiver for my '03 for Xmas. The antenna installation specifically said that for SUV's, NOT to put the antenna under roof racks or near any other antenna's. The air dam shouldn't be an issue because it's plastic, but the lights could be. I realize you can't move the lights, but I'd suspect that's at part of the issue. If that is the case, why in the H-E-double-stick did Nissan put the antenna under something that could/would cause interference?

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#674335 - 10/01/11 03:00 AM Re: XM radio losing signal and distorted. . [Re: Gonzo-2]
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Took the air dam and gear basket off to see if that improved the signal. No change in the distortion. Could not get the darn plug on the lights to disconnect so I was not able to drive around with them off to see if that helped the signal.

Stopped by a dealership that had the same truck as mine to listen to the radio to see if it sounded the same. It sounded much better so I think either the XM tuner or head unit is bad.

Back to the dealership I go!

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#679617 - 10/01/13 05:25 PM Re: XM radio losing signal and distorted. . [Re: Ramness]
XPRO4 Offline

Hey Ramness

My 2011 Pro 4X has the same problem with the factory XM radio package. An internet search reveals we are not alone. I have found nothing from Nissan that addresses this known issue. Hopefully enough complaints will result in a fix from Nissan...let us know if you hear anything, Ram. Good luck.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal