shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#680841 - 17/01/14 10:23 AM Pro4X Gas Tank capacity issues, would love your feedback!
adolphi Offline

Hey Xterra-Land!
Thought I'd submit this to the "Problems" group, see if the wisdom here can help me out! Summer 2012, I bought a 2012 Pro4X, and have enjoyed it (I have previously owned 2006 Xterra, so I got another one). But after a few months, I noticed my new Xterra seemed to have some gas tank volume issues (I'd run it down to Empty, but could only fill it with 16 gallons, not the 21 advertised gallons...I know that tanks always have some reserve space, but even my previous 2006 Xterra would fill at almost 20 gallons on empty). So in the last year, I started the long process of talking to Nissan customer service and visiting local dealerships about the issue. They confirmed my tank was the right size (21 gallon), but that there maybe was an issue with the reading gauge from tank-to-gas-gauge-needle (that needle & DTE indicator may incorrectly show it empty, when it likely had 4-5 more gallons of gas). Anyway, last summer, after the 5th trip to dealer garage in 10 months to get this figured out, they told me that they called Nissan and were told that these Xterra's apparently had a reserve space in the tank of 5 gallons, and so while they advertise 21 gallon tank, they now tell me that it is only a 16 gallon tank. Knowing my 2006 Xterra was good for 20 gallons, this seems crazy to me, and even the local Nissan people said that this 16 gallon capacity explanation was news to them (that 5 gallons of reserve space seemed weird even to them). And so I wanted to ask any of you 2012 Xterra (or even '13/'14) owners: Do you also have this same gas tank capacity issue, or is this something that is only in my Xterra? Your feedback would be very very very appreciated. THANKS!!! -Adolphi

#682707 - 06/12/14 06:14 PM Re: Pro4X Gas Tank capacity issues, would love your feedback! [Re: adolphi]
Gold Rush Offline

Loc: Franklin, NH
I think that by "reserve space" they mean that when your gauge shows empty there are actually five gallons remaining. So when you fill your tank it will only take 16 gallons. This feature makes it very hard to run out of gas. To prove it, drive your X until it runs out of gas. Have a spare gas can on hand of a given amount, say 2 gallons, to dump in so you can get to a gas station. At the pump you will be able to put in at least 19 gallons.

#682981 - 09/04/16 06:47 AM Re: Pro4X Gas Tank capacity issues, would love your feedback! [Re: Gold Rush]
Oharag Offline

I know my early 2005 had an issue with the fuel sending unit. It was a recall. I would hope this is still not prevalent in newer Xterras

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal