Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68857 - 08/05/02 05:12 PM Yakima Interior Bike Mount
MTB-Virginia Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Anybody know anything about the Yakima interior bike mount? I am thinking about getting one but I don't know much about it. I feel that I would prefer the interior mount to protect my bike. I have also noticed it is pretty priced, anyone have some pros/cons?

#68858 - 08/05/02 05:23 PM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
Peanut Butter Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Your talking about the one Nissan sells for the X? Have a small bike? If not then you need to put down the seat of the bike to make it fit. Cheaper to get a good solid board and mount some fork clamps to it. Or cheaper still just thought it in the back. I can get a few bikes in there. Just put a piece of plastic between them. That being said I looking at getting an external rack.

#68859 - 08/05/02 05:29 PM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
xbertmx Offline

Loc: Ab, Canada
I have it and I think its awesome. I'm thinking of getting that cargo protector though becuase the mud that falls off my bike. But thats got nothing to do with the rack.

I doesn't take up any space, I can easily fit two bikes, gear, front wheels, and my subwoofer in the width of the rear. The only annoying thing are the straps that tie it down. They are way too long and so I cut them (not so smart) and now the cut ends are frayed and hard to pull through the clips. But thats my fault anyways, and $5 would buy new straps at any hardware/department store.

If you bike a fair bit, absolutely worth the money. (although if you could buy it from someone here I couldn't see how a used one could be in any different condition from a new one since the whole setup is so durable.)
Hope that helps.

#68860 - 08/05/02 06:40 PM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Make your own out of a 1x6 cut to length. Put a couple of fork holders on it and you are good to go for under a hundred bucks..here is a pic of mine.

#68861 - 08/05/02 06:50 PM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
xbertmx .. the straps you cut.. are they the normal nylon type ?? 2 cent trick, cut the fray end to a smooth edge, then light a match under the end... bingo.. no more frays and you have a hard edge to the strap.
I'm with the others, ...make your own, (I've got a template on my site) but be prepared to play with your seat unless you have a small frame bike, and watch for handlebar & bar-end conflict.
I still prefer my bikes out instead of in.

#68862 - 08/05/02 10:09 PM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
Jbuddah Offline

Loc: FT Benning Georgia
I used to keep my bike in the back but there was too much mud and everything else getting inside the vehicle.
I picked up a yakima hitch mount bike rack and am much happier, plus you still keep the cargo space.

#68863 - 09/05/02 04:20 AM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
livinx Offline

Loc: Derry,NH
I agrree with Jason. I have a hitch mounted rack and it works great. Not only can the X now hold 4 bikes, but also the riders for those bikes.

#68864 - 09/05/02 08:47 AM Re: Yakima Interior Bike Mount
MTB-Virginia Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Well it looks like everyone has a different take on the topic. I think I will check out some of the roof and hitch mounts. As for folding the seats down with the interior mount. I have a GT frame built for a 6'2" build so those seats would definately be folded down. If I did end up going with the interior mount I would definatly build one though, I didn't realize it was fairly common practice. Thanks.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal