2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69662 - 11/06/02 11:49 AM New Calmini steering system...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN

More info here...

Differance between the Calmini and SLR system (aside from the price) is that the Calmini uses all new parts
where as the SLR system has reconditioned parts. Both seem beefy enough. Calmini's is a more simple
design though.

#69663 - 11/06/02 12:00 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I just hope it will work out better then SLR system

(it looks like some people already looking/geting for new bushings for their SLR steering system... )

I think its understandable that SLR did NOT test their system offroad ( or it would not be needing replasment/redesign parts so soon )

Hey Calmini, where did you test your system

#69664 - 11/06/02 12:10 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Carlton McMillan Offline

I believe Calmini is still testing, thus the delay..

#69665 - 11/06/02 12:11 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
I believe Calmini is still testing, thus the delay..
Oh cool
Thanks

#69666 - 11/06/02 12:22 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I wonder, will the steering stabilizer still work with that? Looks good, and the price is certainly nothing to complain about.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#69667 - 11/06/02 12:36 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Here are some bigger pictures and the release information...

CALMINI Steering System for Xterra(WD22)/Frontier(D22)- This system is a new, complete replacement set designed to correct the chronic problem of a worn idler arm and center drag link. The system includes: new replacement Pitman & Idler Arm assemblies forged from 4140 heat treated alloy. The new idler arm rides on the stock pivot point using a much larger friction surface from durable Bronze bushings. Also included is a completely new Center Drag Link made from 1 1/8” x .250” wall thick DOM tubing. The center drag link uses beefy off the shelf 11/16” Moog tie rod ends for maximum durability. The Center Drag Link is completely rebuildable. Lastly, the kit includes new replacement 4130 alloy tie rod adjustment links that due to the system's change in configuration, are longer than stock. This added length helps reduce bump steer angle over stock. This system is simple, durable, completely serviceable, and requires no modification to stock parts or vehicle. Part Number NP12450 Price $469.95. (In production, available Aug 2002)

Look for a new larger, optional Idler Arm Bracket available for this application late June. Applications for early Hardbody(D21) and Pathfinder(WD21) models avaliable soon.

#69668 - 11/06/02 12:38 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
I wonder, will the steering stabilizer still work with that? Looks good, and the price is certainly nothing to complain about.
A new stabilizer bracket would need to be designed. Honestly, you probably wont need one.

#69669 - 11/06/02 12:41 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
XOC Offline
Admin

If you look at the design closely, you will see that it directly addresses the major weakness of the stock system, center relay rod rotation.
The relay rod wears quickly when the Xterra is lifted because the tie rods push upward on it. The pitman side is a ball joint, and allows the relay rod some rotation, this causes the idler side (which is not a ball joint, but a spindle) to wear its bushing.

CALMINI has addressed this problem by attaching the tierod directly to the idler and pitman arm, and letting the center relay rod do only what it should be doing, keeping the two arms in phase.

It's simple and brilliant (and priced right).

#69670 - 11/06/02 12:49 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Now that’s what I’m talking about smile for a reasonable price, wonder where the idea for those bronze bushings came from wink

#69671 - 11/06/02 12:52 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
wonder where the idea for those bronze bushings came from wink
Probably from Steve's years and years of experience designing and building suspension systems and steering systems wink

#69672 - 11/06/02 01:05 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Great price! I may stick with calmini for my lift now. A lift and steering system for the price of an SLR lift! Downside being unknown shock quality. Woohoo. I love seeing new products for the X.
John

Edit..sorry. Moog tierod ends. my fault for reading too fast!

#69673 - 11/06/02 01:09 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by UTJMAC:
This may seem dumb, but by using this system, idler arm fatigue wouldn't be an issue? I noticed they use the moog idler arm. I've heard of bending these, but that was with the stock setup.
That is not a MOOG idler arm.. that is one that Calmini built and is much stronger.

#69674 - 11/06/02 01:10 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
Sweet! That will match my new upper control arms I just got to replace my AC ones...

#69675 - 11/06/02 01:13 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by UTJMAC:
[b]This may seem dumb, but by using this system, idler arm fatigue wouldn't be an issue? I noticed they use the moog idler arm. I've heard of bending these, but that was with the stock setup.
That is not a MOOG idler arm.. that is one that Calmini built and is much stronger.[/b]
Actually from what I am seeing they machined a new arm to attach to the factory idler arm.

Looks promising and the price is where it should be for a steering system.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#69676 - 11/06/02 01:22 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Mmm, me likes...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#69677 - 11/06/02 01:33 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Part Number NP12450 Price $469.95. (In production, available Aug 2002)
Holy shit!!!! I hope this isn't a typo! That's a price range I can deal with.

Is Steve taking orders now?

#69678 - 11/06/02 01:56 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
What's with the color change on the bushings between the xterraparts.com pic and the XOC review pic?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#69679 - 11/06/02 02:30 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
What's with the color change on the bushings between the xterraparts.com pic and the XOC review pic?

Brent
I would guess that the pics went through a differant image processing program..

#69680 - 11/06/02 03:02 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Very nice and price is right. I hope this isn't just vapor like alot of other Calmini products. They eventually show up, but historicaly Calmini has missed their shipping dates on ALOT of their products. Developing products is tough work, and Calmini should be commended, but it can be quite frustrating to wait for a product that was promised and never delivered.

Alot of people could use these things right now. I really like the fac thtat it uses "The center drag link uses beefy off the shelf 11/16” Moog tie rod ends ", and are therefore widely available from sources other than Calmini. I would love to see some testing on this thing.

#69681 - 11/06/02 03:07 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
Very nice and price is right. I hope this isn't just vapor like alot of other Calmini products. They eventually show up, but historicaly Calmini has missed their shipping dates on ALOT of their products. Developing products is tough work, and Calmini should be commended, but it can be quite frustrating to wait for a product that was promised and never delivered.

Anyone have a real ETA on these things? Alot of people could use these things right now.

I would love to see some testing on this thing.
The info I have is that they have one on a vehicle now and want to do a little more testing before they offer it to the world. I have on good information that the date for release posted on Xterraparts is in fact a good date.

And what Calmini products would you consider vapor ware?

#69682 - 11/06/02 03:14 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Quick Disconnects, Bumper, LSD, and various other things took (or are taking) much longer than they said they would. One person in our club waited 6 months after paying for disconnects. This isn't exactly new information... Lots of people complained about Calmini's lag time.

This isn't a flame. I am actually quite impressed with the products I have seen in person.

Bryan

#69683 - 11/06/02 03:28 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
Quote:
Quick Disconnects, Bumper, LSD, and various other things took (or are taking) much longer than they said they would. One person in our club waited 6 months after paying for disconnects. This isn't exactly new information... Lots of people complained about Calmini's lag time.

This isn't a flame. I am actually quite impressed with the products I have seen in person.

Bryan
Although the things you mentioned are not vapor.. Calmini has been slow on delivering some of those things. Such is the manufacturing business [Freak]

#69684 - 11/06/02 03:44 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Early photos of prototype delrin bushings. They are bronze now. The image was edited to try to show that.

#69685 - 11/06/02 04:00 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
OMFG!

Please, please be the solution we are looking for. I will be so happy to not give SLR $1,000. You are right Ian, it does look like the root of the problem has been addressed.

When can I get on the waiting list? laugh

#69686 - 11/06/02 04:03 PM Re: New Calmini steering system...
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Are the tie rods parralel to the LCAs?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal