Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71653 - 06/05/02 11:28 PM Roof rack options
CosmicX Offline

Loc: Alhambra, Cali
Is there such thing as an aftermarket roof basket that goes inside the factory rack? I want to buy one, but dont like the "double" rack look of some.

#71654 - 06/05/02 11:49 PM Re: Roof rack options
matto Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo, CA
I'd like something simlar to how the existing front basket is mounted .. with the same look. A metal version would be very good, but, even a plastic version like the front basket would be good.

#71655 - 07/05/02 06:18 AM Re: Roof rack options
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Nothing like that currently exists that I've ever seen... You could get creative in how you mount some of the aftermarket racks/baskets, though. The problem you'll run into though is size. Most of these things aren't small enough to fit inside the stock rack...

Maybe the Nissan wire-like "safari basket" would work, dunno...

Just use U-bolts to bolt the things into place, or maybe fabricate your own simple mounts?

There's also the soft rack option.

#71656 - 07/05/02 12:30 PM Re: Roof rack options
SkiCalif Offline

Loc: La Selva Beach, CA
I had one made. Here's what it looks like:

Edited to use Superjens to host pics. Thanks.

#71657 - 07/05/02 12:36 PM Re: Roof rack options
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
We can't see your pics... use an ftp program and upload it to ftp.superjens.com (user:xterra password:xterra) and link from there. Your image server doesnt allow outside linking.

#71658 - 07/05/02 12:55 PM Re: Roof rack options
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
snip..use an ftp program and upload it to ftp.superjens.com (user:xterra password:xterra) and link from there...snip
Actually its easier than that! You can just right click and copy it from whatever folder its in and click paste in the ftp folder window. Copies there in a few seconds!

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#71659 - 07/05/02 01:43 PM Re: Roof rack options
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
The dimensions of the Yakima Basket are:
27" wide x 38.5 long x 2" deep.

I am not sure how wide the main cross bars are on the Xterra, but I think this basket should fit between them. Just move the cross members further out, and mount the vertical mighty mounts facing down. I haven't actually measured anything, but I "think" this will work. I have been meaning to try it - but I haven't gotten around to it.

If this works out, then there should be enough room for this basket plus a set of bike/skis racks.

edited to add: I tried this, and the Xterra cross bars cannot go far enough away from each other for this to work without removing the stock gear basket. So if you remove the gear basket, and spread out the cross bars, use vertical mighty mounts, the basket should fit inside the Xterra roof rack.

#71660 - 07/05/02 01:48 PM Re: Roof rack options
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Here's one done by Toy Man...

The roof basket is made by Yakima (Basketcase), which can be bought
at Xterraparts.com or REI.com... I'm in the process of doing the same
thing to my X, since I, too, have a problem with a low garage
door clearance... In short, he used two 48" shelf supports to support
the basketcase... He then connected "U" bolts to connect the shelf
supports to the roof rack... You then use thick plastic tie downs to hold
the basketcase in-between the shelf support (first pic)... Cost breakdown
is as follows:

1 x Yakima Basketcase ($99)
2 x Shelf Support Bracket 48" ($4 apiece)
4 x 3" U-Bolts ($3 apiece)
Thick plastic tiedowns ($6/pk of 25)

With the exception of the Yakima Basketcase, all the mod parts can be found
at your local hardware store (ie. Home Depot).

I've also measured (roughly) the dimensions within the roof rack, as well
as comparisons of other roof baskets:

Xterra roof rack "inner" dimensions (in inches):
35"(L) x 34" (W) x 2 1/2" (H) note: you can extent the LENGTH if you remove the
front-most cross bracket by 12". So from the back cross bracket to the backside of the
wet/dry basket would be 47" (roughly).

Yakima Basketcase dimensions: 26 1/2" x 38 3/4" x 2" (xterraparts.com or rei.com $99)
Yakima LoadWarrior dimensions: 44" x 39" x 6 1/2" (w/net... sale at rei.com for $199)
Yakima MegaWarrior dimensions: 52" x 48" 6 1/2" (xterrparts.com $275)
Thule Cargo Playpen Carrier: 44" x 38" x 6 1/2" (rei.com $250)
Euro Rack: 40" x 48" x ??? (autoaccessories.com $150)

I hope this helps... I'll post pics when I'm done with mine... Good luck... CosmicX...

- Air B

#71661 - 07/05/02 03:39 PM Re: Roof rack options
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Looks pretty good! My only concern about that type of setup would be the maximum load weight. You'd have to make sure those crossarms and the ubolts are pretty stout and strong.

#71662 - 07/05/02 03:51 PM Re: Roof rack options
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
I like Toy Man's idea! I am gonna hve to do that now since some assholes in the neighborhood are messing with peoples cars!

I just wonder if you could use the cross-bars with the horizontal mighty mounts, inverted to hold the basket?

Know what I mean?

-Rick

#71663 - 07/05/02 04:14 PM Re: Roof rack options
Rick Kempke Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Yeah the Yakima basket would be your best bet. I have one for sale with two 58" crossbars on it. You could use the mighty mounts to mount it to your X crossbars. If you are interested email me and I will send you a pic of it. Thanks.

#71664 - 07/05/02 04:35 PM Re: Roof rack options
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
Looks pretty good! My only concern about that type of setup would be the maximum load weight. You'd have to make sure those crossarms and the ubolts are pretty stout and strong.
Good point, Mineral... For myself, I know I won't be carrying anything heavy... The shelving
cross-arms are made outta metal, as well as the U-Bolts... Instead of the two that are on
Toy Man's mod, I was going to use at least three... Just to be 'xtra' supportive... I'm off to
go buy the mod materials at Home Depot... Then sometime before the weekend, I'll pick
up the Yakima Basketcase at my local REI... Looks like I'll be busy this weekend... I'll
post pics as soon as I get it installed for everyone to see... PEACE!!!

- Air B

#71665 - 07/05/02 05:02 PM Re: Roof rack options
CosmicX Offline

Loc: Alhambra, Cali
Hmm, the Toyman one looks pretty good. Maybe I can fit one that is a tad bigger. Also, a plastic basket like the front one would be good too. I just want it for basic stuff, nothing heavy. Thank guys for all your input. smile

#71666 - 21/05/02 07:02 PM Re: Roof rack options
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmicX:
Hmm, the Toyman one looks pretty good. Maybe I can fit one that is a tad bigger. Also, a plastic basket like the front one would be good too. I just want it for basic stuff, nothing heavy. Thank guys for all your input. smile
I couldn't find one any larger that would fit. So I picked up a Yakama Basketcase at REI. They got all Yakama products for 20% off until May 27.

#71667 - 21/05/02 07:23 PM Re: Roof rack options
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
I am assembling my ToyMan basket this evening! Should work great!

I'll post more pics if anyone could use them!

-Rick

#71668 - 21/05/02 07:36 PM Re: Roof rack options
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Here is what I am running..

It is the Calmini replacement rack..

Close up with bike attached..

Here is a wide shot..

Here is the kicker... all the Yakima stuff hooks right up to it [Too much XOC]
In the wide shot you can see my old convenience net. I strung it up between the sides. One thing that I was scared of was not being able to mount the High Lift jack up there but to my joy I found that the mount that I was using for my Con-Ferr worked just as well on the Calmini rack. There are four bars that make up the floor section.

#71669 - 22/05/02 05:18 AM Re: Roof rack options
Xrugger Offline

I like the Calmini rack, except it needs a faring on the front to help keep the Xterra look. Which shouldn't be too hard to make up. It would also be nice if they made it out of heavier tubing to help keep the look as well.

#71670 - 22/05/02 06:44 AM Re: Roof rack options
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
I like the Calmini rack, except it needs a faring on the front to help keep the Xterra look. Which shouldn't be too hard to make up. It would also be nice if they made it out of heavier tubing to help keep the look as well.
I like the faring idea.. as for the larger tubing.. I don't think that would work. The Calmini rack is made from steel tubing (rather than the lighter and weaker alumnium tubing) and to make it larger would make it considerably heavier. Not to mention that if it were larger diameter then you would not be able to use all the Yakima stuff on it.

#71671 - 22/05/02 10:52 AM Re: Roof rack options
Xrugger Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
[b]I like the Calmini rack, except it needs a faring on the front to help keep the Xterra look. Which shouldn't be too hard to make up. It would also be nice if they made it out of heavier tubing to help keep the look as well.
I like the faring idea.. as for the larger tubing.. I don't think that would work. The Calmini rack is made from steel tubing (rather than the lighter and weaker alumnium tubing) and to make it larger would make it considerably heavier. Not to mention that if it were larger diameter then you would not be able to use all the Yakima stuff on it.[/b]
My idea was just for the top tube that run front to back along the sides. The rest could be smaller. But your right, if they are using steel it would get too heavy.

But just adding a faring to the front would make it look alot better.

#71672 - 22/05/02 11:49 AM Re: Roof rack options
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I don't know if the fairing would make it look better but it might make it a little quieter. Carlton , I know you don't have a sunroof but do you notice a significant increase of noise up there with the different rack and the lights ?

I think that they have the right idea with the rack , but I think it's not quite there. My idea would be like that but going all the way to the front with no front angle to duplicate the X's stock rack look.

Instead , bring it all the way to the front , but not as tall as their origional rack. It would be similar to the Disco racks I see. At the hump bring the lines down to follow the contour of the roof line so at the front you are using the same length vertical tubing as you are with the rest of the rack.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

#71673 - 24/05/02 09:41 AM Re: Roof rack options
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
hey carlton are those IPF 210 fogs on you ARB? what do you think of them?

#71674 - 24/05/02 09:55 AM Re: Roof rack options
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
I don't know if the fairing would make it look better but it might make it a little quieter. Carlton , I know you don't have a sunroof but do you notice a significant increase of noise up there with the different rack and the lights ?

I think that they have the right idea with the rack , but I think it's not quite there. My idea would be like that but going all the way to the front with no front angle to duplicate the X's stock rack look.

Instead , bring it all the way to the front , but not as tall as their origional rack. It would be similar to the Disco racks I see. At the hump bring the lines down to follow the contour of the roof line so at the front you are using the same length vertical tubing as you are with the rest of the rack.

Does this make any sense to anyone?
I have not noticed any more noise with the Calmini rack at all.

I like the way it is now.. The only additions I would like to see would be a gear basket.. And from what I understand they are working on it.

#71675 - 24/05/02 09:56 AM Re: Roof rack options
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
hey carlton are those IPF 210 fogs on you ARB? what do you think of them?
Nope.. those are the PIAA 520 fogs.. and I love them :-)

They are a pencil beam fog that work well with the PIAA 1400's wide beam fogs.

#71676 - 24/05/02 10:01 AM Re: Roof rack options
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:

I just wonder if you could use the cross-bars with the horizontal mighty mounts, inverted to hold the basket?

Know what I mean?
I tried just that. The Basket is narrow enough to fit between the main rack supports (the ones that run front to back) but the cross bars (left to right) do not spread far enough apart.

Xterra Rack inner Dimensions 35"(L) x 34" (W) x 2 1/2" (H) (thanks airbutchie). the Yakima Basket dimensions are: 26 1/2" x 38 3/4" x 2" .

If you arrange the basket lengthwise (front to back) you are still about 3 or 4 inches short. Now if you take out the gear basket, I think you can move the cross bars further forward, and then you will have enough room.

I may try it one of these days, and post pictures for general reference. The only other thing I am worried about is there isn't enough clearance between the roof and the bottom of the basket when installed with an upsidedown vertical mighty mount.

#71677 - 27/05/02 07:59 AM Re: Roof rack options
Xrugger Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
I like Toy Man's idea! I am gonna hve to do that now since some assholes in the neighborhood are messing with peoples cars!

Know what I mean?
Just did that. Only I used the Vertical Mighty Mounts upside down. The front cross bar has to be moved forward of the bolts for the gear basket, but since I have a sunroof I never used the gear basket anyways.

I made an additional bracket to make it work out of a couple pieces of aluminum angle stock. This set up keeps the bottom of the basket up off the roof by about an inch or so and keeps the top of the basket below the tops of the roof rails.

Its a nice clean look. My only concern is how the Mighty Mounts will hold up since they are designed to have the weight above them and not hung below them. I've thought about using an extra set. I designed the bracket to take an extra set of mighty mounts if needed.

I'll post some pics of the bracket later tonight or tomorrow.

On a side note: One odd thing I noticed is that since I put the basket up, there is decrease in wind noise. I was expecting it to get louder. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with moving the cross bar foward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal