Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71704 - 14/12/03 10:46 AM Most bang for the Buck
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got ~500.00 to spend to enhance the Xterra's offroad abilities. I was looking at some of the Calmini suspension parts, maybe disconnects, extra leaf pack etc. Still, I have the original crap tires - should I ditch them first? Or will I get more use of that money by upgrading the suspension? I've been in some tough spots a few times (going over sudden, steep angles downhill) where one of the rear wheels is totally off the ground and useless, so it really wouldn't matter much how good the shoes were on it ... what do you guys think?

#71705 - 14/12/03 12:44 PM Re: Most bang for the Buck
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
I would suggest purchasing new tires first. If you upgrade your suspension and manage to get all of your tires on the ground in those tough spots, what good will it do if your tires don't have the necessary traction to get you loose?

#71706 - 14/12/03 01:02 PM Re: Most bang for the Buck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Upgrade your tires, get some shackles for a quick lift and start there. Once you can get offroad, you'll get a better idea of how much time you want to spend there. Than, you'll start hemmoraging things like bumpers, new shocks, perhaps a whole new suspension/lift. Can't live without it sh*t like lights, tunes, and a new roof rack'll follow. Good luck and Have fun [Smoking]

#71707 - 14/12/03 04:12 PM Re: Most bang for the Buck
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
New tires and take off the rear sway bar. Also disconnect the front sway bar while offroad. After that lockers make the biggest difference in capability, but cost about $1000 per axle installed.

#71708 - 14/12/03 06:46 PM Re: Most bang for the Buck
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
I'm gonna agree with Steve, for the most part. new tires and remove the rear sway bar permanently and the front while offroad. After that I disagree. I would get a suspension lift before lockers. Chances are, if you can't get your but over it, a locker won't help. I would also suggest some rock sliders and some armor underneath. I think all that is more important than lockers. Also, use this time to learn to offroad and see what your terrain is like before deciding on the lockers. You might not need them (although, it would be really cool to have them) smile
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#71709 - 14/12/03 10:36 PM Re: Most bang for the Buck
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
New tires and take off the rear sway bar. Also disconnect the front sway bar while offroad.
New Tires...that is my next investment for my X...the crappy "Crappers" just can't do it while offroading...they can easily handle the easy basic stuff, but that's it, they have no traction whatsoever...I just put on some Sliders and some Calmini Shackles for the rear and cranked up my Torsion Bars for a 1-1/2" Lift of clearance...Do they make "Quick Disconnects" for the Front Sway Bar?

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#71710 - 15/12/03 06:25 AM Re: Most bang for the Buck
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Do they make "Quick Disconnects" for the Front Sway Bar?
It's much cheaper to just make them yourself... I'm not sure of the exact parts (but someone else here will hopefully post the parts needed), but here is a pic of somebodys: Also note that most people are replacing the nut with a plastic knob and mounting that on the top side... much easier to take on/off...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#71711 - 15/12/03 04:46 PM Re: Most bang for the Buck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the good advice, guys. I'm going to get BFG KOs or maybe the Revos. I've taken off the mudflaps - they make a racket on rocks and such, and driving in the snow and slush today I couldn't see what use they were when they were on. I also took off the step rails, and I think I like the lines better - the rails always worried me anyways, a false sense of security near boulders.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the rear sway bar and see how it plays out at the rough spot near where I work. I really wanted to get those suspension parts first - I know I'd have lots of fun installing them, but I agree that tires are probably the best thing for me right away ... I'd have got the ShrockWorks bumper if the shipping wasn't so nasty ...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal