2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72021 - 28/05/05 06:02 PM New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yet again another product from NWparts. I actually have this basket on the rig right now and it looks great. It feels very sturdy, but have yet to load it w/gear. It mounts to the rack by using the rear 2 bolts of the factory basket and 4 more holes that need to be drilled into the rack. They supply you w/jacknuts to secure it to the rack. here's some pics. I have the first basket made, the production baskets will be 2 pieces. Making the rack 2 pieces will dramatically decrease shipping costs as shipping a 1 piece would cost in the ballpark of $100. Anyways here's some pics:

#72022 - 28/05/05 06:26 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Sweet!!! I may have to ditch my Loadwarrior as if my X gets any higher it won't fit in my garage and this would be an awesome replacement!! What is the cost and when will they be available?

#72023 - 28/05/05 07:09 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very, very (very) nice.

#72024 - 28/05/05 07:53 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I'm a soon-to-be-ex-LoadWarrior-owner! That basket looks great and I will surely save up for it! [ThumbsUp]

#72025 - 29/05/05 11:51 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm glad that you guys like what you see. contact northwestparts, or email jason@getrhino.com w/any specific questions. oh yeah url is www.northwestparts.com

#72026 - 29/05/05 12:23 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the address. What's the part number?
Also, thanks again, this things will really fit the bill.

#72027 - 29/05/05 12:31 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

will it work with the basket still in place?

#72028 - 29/05/05 06:03 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

jparf i'm not sure if it will or not. I'll check it out and let you know

#72029 - 30/05/05 04:46 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jparf:
will it work with the basket still in place?
Probably not, the basket goes almost againt the middle post and that roof rack seem to extend over that.

Ideally, it should either be short enough to handle the basket as well or the full length, but it is still a sweet rack.

#72030 - 30/05/05 03:30 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, taking a closer look at the second pic, it will most likely not. thats a shame, i really like that one better than the load warrior but i want to keep my basket in place. if they adjusted it and made it a bit shorter i would definatly get one...

#72031 - 30/05/05 03:55 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The couple things I dont like comapred to my load warrior is the less depth and the overall size. My load warrior has the extension which nearly runs my full stock bar lenght plus it is much wider than the in between the bar rack show. Plus the added depth to the load warrior makes taller loads more stable. But if height is your concearn the sunken mounting is definatley a cool idea.

#72032 - 31/05/05 06:22 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I think its a great idea, my roof rack hits most parking garage roofs as it is.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#72033 - 31/05/05 06:57 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

just a suggestion but it might be a good idea to make one where you can keep the basket. lost of people like their baskets and it might be a bit of an issue w/ the 05'rs our there.

I would buy one if i didn't have to take off the basket.

#72034 - 31/05/05 07:18 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

We each have different preferences. I would prefer that it would run the entire lenght of the rack that way I would use the front and rear of it to support my canoe.

#72035 - 31/05/05 07:59 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the diameter of the main tubes? Will Yakima bike racks fit onto them?

Tom

#72036 - 31/05/05 08:05 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
We each have different preferences. I would prefer that it would run the entire lenght of the rack that way I would use the front and rear of it to support my canoe.
It looks like there is still room for you to put one of your crossbars in front of that for such purposes.

What will the cost of that rack be? I am very interested in this rack!!!

#72037 - 31/05/05 03:14 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

tom all yak accessories should fit from my understanding. Email jason@get-rhino.com or contact northwestparts for more details

#72038 - 09/06/05 10:38 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still haven't gotten a reply from these guys...I'd really like to know what the cost of the rack is.

Tom

#72039 - 09/06/05 04:33 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

tom who did you email? i'll try and contact someone and find out what the deal is

#72040 - 09/06/05 05:52 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
They are on vacation.

I have a full length one on order (first one.)
One piece because I am local.
Should be ready about June 18th.

The one like Nutz has lets you use your sun roof (if you have one)

Toy man

#72041 - 09/06/05 09:19 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man:
They are on vacation.

I have a full length one on order (first one.)
One piece because I am local.
Should be ready about June 18th.

The one like Nutz has lets you use your sun roof (if you have one)

Toy man
Hey Toy Man, if you don't mind how much did you pay for it? And how much longer is the "full length" one?
Thanks for the help.
[Wave]
Casper

#72042 - 09/06/05 09:41 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

the full length one is just that, basically from the front of the rack to the back

#72043 - 10/06/05 04:24 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Toy Man Offline

I just gave them my credit card and said 'build it'. Est. price is about $200.

Length is as Nutz reported.

Toy Man

#72044 - 12/06/05 07:54 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

tabs for lights would be nice.. or clamps to mount them..

#72045 - 13/06/05 04:36 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Think they couuld build one that lets you keep your basket?

Tom

#72046 - 13/06/05 05:20 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Nutz:
I'm glad that you guys like what you see. contact northwestparts, or email jason@getrhino.com w/any specific questions. oh yeah url is www.northwestparts.com
I see they are working on a rear bumper as well..Any idea on what it looks like?

#72047 - 13/06/05 11:36 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

#72048 - 15/06/05 04:36 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

about the tabs, i think the racks will either have an option to have them, or already come with them. Mine is the first one and doesn't have them on it.

#72049 - 07/07/05 08:29 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a full length version of the rack

Clicky

#72050 - 07/07/05 09:33 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really like the look of the full length basket.....what was the final cost for that?.....their Discovery racks are pretty pricey, so if in that $500-600 range, I will have to pass for the old loadwarrior... [Crybaby]

#72051 - 07/07/05 09:47 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

realize their discovery racks are full replacement racks not just baskets like the picture above.... I'm guessing that the price will be significantly cheaper than those. Email jason@get-rhino.com and he'll be able to provide you with more details. I only helped them build it, i'm not selling it :p

#72052 - 08/07/05 02:36 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I just got some pricing info. For the standard length it will be 299 and the full length is 369. Email jason@get-rhino.com he should be able to help you out with any questions

#72053 - 11/08/05 07:56 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
Has anyone gotten one of these yet?

#72054 - 12/08/05 05:59 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Toy Man Offline

I have the prototype full length (one piece). My understanding is that the production racks will be 2 piece to facilitate shipping.

I love it.

You cannot use the basket with it.

I was going to use the baskets rear mount bolt for the front hold down but decided it was too small. I originally positioned the front mounting tabs ahead of the rear basket mount (which I kept to use as a tie down) but then I had a 'singing' noise above 50 mph. Moved the rack so the front mounting tab was behind the basket rear mounting 'bolt' and no more 'singing'.

I have not gotten around to drilling holes in the roof rails to install the mounting hardware. I am using 175 lb nylon ties to fasten the rack to the rails. They work so well I may not install the mounting hardware.

I also added a 1/4" rubber 'pad' on the bottom of the mounting tabs.

The first picture is looking towards the front of the Xterra.

Toy Man

#72055 - 12/08/05 09:07 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
OHHHHH...Me Likey!

I used a Yakima Basketcase suspended between the rails by Mighty Mounts and a couple pieces of angle.. This looks sooo much nicer!

#72056 - 12/08/05 09:07 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks nice, but I'm cheap. So if any of ya'll in the South West are getting rid of a Yakima for one of these, let me know and I might take it off of your hands.

#72057 - 12/08/05 09:36 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Toy Man Offline

I just received this email from the manufacturer:

Quote:
We would love to hear some more feedback on the basket from the guys in the forum (things they'd like to see, aesthetically, etc). We have a couple of the prototype half baskets in stock, and will be ready for production on the 2 piece baskets by the end of August. We would prefer to build one piece racks (because of the rigidity) however because we can cut about a hundred bucks off of shipping, we're going to offer the 2 piece rack to pass on the savings to our customers. We have changed a couple of things already that will make it an easier installation, and make it look a little better from the rear of the truck.
Email Andy at Northwest Parts - customerservice@northwestparts.com

#72058 - 25/08/05 06:14 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
Any new info?

#72059 - 26/08/05 05:58 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just sent them my comments...their website seems to be down right now...I want one but I also want to be able to keep the stock basket since I use it all the time for my dirty smelly biking stuff...

Tom

#72060 - 26/08/05 04:08 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it held in place by zip ties?

#72061 - 28/08/05 04:53 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the look of this rack, but I'm not into drilling holes in my rails or holding it down with zip ties. It would be great if they could come up with some clamping mechanism like what's on the OEM crossbars.

#72062 - 28/08/05 05:25 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Toy Man!

Quote:
From Mr. Labowski (spelling?):

That's not something one dude usually says to another dude...
NICE RACK!

BTW - WTH is in your garage? The blue thing looks like a personal pontoon for fishing I suppose, but WTH is the thing on the right? It looks like some antlers from hell, or maybe an entire tree? WTF? [Freak]

#72063 - 28/08/05 07:46 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Toy Man Offline

Quote:
WTH is in your garage? The blue thing looks like a personal pontoon for fishing I suppose, but WTH is the thing on the right? It looks like some antlers from hell, or maybe an entire tree? WTF?
The blue thing is our new 15' cataraft. The antler 'thing' is a twisted juniper tree I am making into a cat tree.

Toy Man

#72064 - 31/12/05 08:13 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone ever get an update on a basket that fits with the stock gear box?

#72065 - 05/01/06 05:19 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks decent, but...

1. The holes in the bottomw are WAY too large. It needs about tree more pipes running lengthwise.

2. It's too short. If I was to take off my cargo box, I would want this basket to fill the entire space. Since this is a custom design for the X, there's no reason for them to leave a gap.

3. The price should be 1/2 to 2/3 of the quoted price. Otherwise, I'll just buy a real safari basket.

Anyway, it's a great idea, but it needs some serious work before I would even consider it.

#72066 - 11/01/06 04:34 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Toyman, could it be possible to fix the rack with this: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=7064

#72067 - 15/01/06 11:48 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Fellow Xer's... I sent an email to northwestparts asking if they made a smaller roof rack that would fit between the rails and still let you keep the OEM roof bin on. Well, he said he had one left, and posted a few pictures on the slightly revised web site. A picture shows it fitting tight up against the roof bin, but without the bin top on. It looks like there is NO room for the roof top to close what with the handle it has. Back to the drawing board for them. So close... to making the perfect little roof rack too. He wants 299 for it. Somewhat expensive if you ask me. Gosh, if some company could make this little roof basket for us weekend adventurers they might make some good money.

http://www.northwestparts.com/

#72068 - 16/01/06 05:30 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

This would be perfect for me as the X will not fit in the garage with any other kind of rack. I hope they can come up with a modified version that would accomodate the handles on the bins on the newer X's - I'd buy it in a flash...

#72069 - 16/01/06 05:37 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Toy Man Offline

Quote:
could it be possible to fix the rack with this
Beats me. I am happy with the zip ties. Might get ambitious some day and install the bolts that came with it.

Toy Man

#72070 - 03/03/06 11:33 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi All -

Just wanted to add that I got the last one-piece model from NW Parts a few days ago. They have 1 (one) two-piece bolt together model still available, so give them a call if you want it. I am planning on "installing" the basket this weekend (will take about 20 minutes from what I can tell). I'll take some pics of the completed project when I'm done. Right now it's just held in place with stock screws from the air dam, but it looks great, and it's very sturdy. Couple things:

I wanted...
  • A low profile basket to haul a heavy cooler, some camping gear, and firewood.
  • I want to be able to open my sunroof
  • I want to use the stock air dam
  • I don't care about the gear basket (see "opening sunroof")
  • I need to remove it from time to time
  • I don't want to spend more than $300, and I want it to be good quality

I got...
  • Cost: $314.00 (regularly $349, I got 10% off for paying cash and picking it up locally). Little more than I wanted to spend, but worth it.
  • I can open my sunroof
  • The stock air dam will fit
  • Will the gear basket fit? I'm not sure yet, will let ya'll know.
  • Installs with 6 jack bolts, drilled into stock rack tubes. I will probably only use 4, the mounting tabs are super strong 1/8th inch steel.
  • It will be easy to remove, almost too easy. I'll probably get some locking mechanism to prevent theft.
  • Powder coating is very good
  • Welds are good, but not *quite* as good as the Calmini rack. Still, the plastic ends of the stock rack will fail long before these welds give out.

The one I got is the 3/4 length model advertised on their website, http://www.northwestparts.com I hope to be done with the install tomorrow morning, provided I don't have to work.

#72071 - 04/03/06 03:22 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
PDXterra Offline

Well, as promised, here are some shots of the install. Click the link below any photo for a larger version of it. I'm having some issues with my free Web host, so if the pics show up blank, just click the "Larger Version" links.

Here's the rack prior to install:

Larger Version - 257K, 640 x 480

Here's a shot of the weld detail:

Larger Version - 143K, 640 x 480

The hardware includes these heavy duty rubber thingys which go under the tabs:

Larger Version - 122K, 640 x 480

I drilled out the holes for the "jack bolts" by first drilling a 3/8" hole, then widening it to roughly 7/16" as I don't have a 7/16" bit:

Larger Version - 126K, 640 x 480

Next, tighten the jack bolt until the provided rubber washer compresses against the stock craptainium roof rack rail:

Larger Version - 124K, 640 x 480

(Rest of post below)

#72072 - 04/03/06 04:05 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
PDXterra Offline

Next, just screw the rack into place with the provided hardware. The finished product:

Larger Version - 150K, 640 x 480

This is a very low profile basket, so your clearance is about 3/16" of an inch. I'm a little worried that with a load, I'll be close to touching my roof. Only time will tell:

Larger Version - 132K, 640 x 480

Here she is, loaded up with some camping stuff:

Larger Version - 153K, 640 x 480

#72073 - 06/03/06 10:31 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

pretty cool [ThumbsUp]

#72074 - 06/03/06 11:48 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like that rack a lot. I just wish it was a bit cheaper and that it fir the new X's and still allowed access to the roof bin.

#72075 - 13/03/06 10:29 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the low-profile look. However, I'm not real keen having to drill holes.

Looks like they have made one that fits with the basket. ( hope this is not old news )

- dk

$349.00

#72076 - 13/03/06 04:08 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
I like that rack a lot. I just wish it was a bit cheaper and that it fir the new X's and still allowed access to the roof bin.
A load warrior costs almost 3 bills.....

#72077 - 13/03/06 05:07 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

i got the bvg adventure rack for $75 on overstock.com.

#72078 - 13/03/06 05:54 PM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the loadwarrior and like it. May cost alot but it was worth it for me. And I know I can hold at least my friend and I on it. About 300 pounds. But all the styles I saw where nice.

#72079 - 19/03/06 10:14 AM Re: New Style Roof basket (lifted X's take note)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I e-mailed them to ask about plans for one for the '05's/'06's that would let us keep the basket and lid in place. Hope to hear back soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal