Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72318 - 23/10/06 07:36 PM 3.3L Cat/conv
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, I posted this in an old thread so I thought i would try on my own thread. I did a search and there's a lot of talk about it but no specifics.

My catalytic converter is leaking and it's barely noticable to anyone else but to me it's crazy loud ( I hate any kind of unneeded noise out of a vehicle ) .

I just replaced the exhaust manifold and thought i was in the clear but the leak in the cat rained on my parade. What i need to know is how I can make the aftermarket converters work - or if it would be cheaper just to go with a bolt on like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-Fro...sspagenameZWD1V
I know the aftermarkets on jcwhitney and that were linked on other threads weren't set up like this one, and I don't have a welder or anything so I would have to pay someone to do it for me if I wanted it done right.

I apologize in advance if i missed a thread that explained all of it, but i did do my best to search on it - and sorry im fairly ignorant about nissan engines. I have spent a lot of time with older chevys and dodges but nothing like this. Thanks for your help.

#72319 - 23/10/06 08:13 PM Re: 3.3L Cat/conv
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
How is it leaking? I haven't heard of anyone cracking a cat.

Are all of the heatshield bolts in it and tight? Some of them go all the way into it and will cause a leak if they're missing/loose.

#72320 - 23/10/06 10:12 PM Re: 3.3L Cat/conv
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm guessing it's cracked? The exhaust manifold was cracked completely in half, which was bizarre to start with, but im assuming it had something to do with the floodings the hurricane brought. The carfax didn't show anything like that, but it may not have been claimed.

I'm not completely sure where it's cracked, but the guy I brought it to told me it's the cat and he drinks beer with the family so im going to trust him on it. If the bolts for the heat shields do go all the way through, I can get under it and take a better look. I know there's a rattling coming from the same region when im going down the road ( which was going to be my next check ). He replaced the gaskets so i dont think it's the joints.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal