Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73020 - 14/08/02 01:13 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by CCX:
Quote:
from dano;
[b]Could you Hi-Lift off this bumper either just using the jack against it or say using the Hi-Lift Bumper Lift attachment?
If the answer is yes to the above question and it had a built in hitch or you could use the Nissan one, then yes I would buy it tomorrow.

-Chris[/b]
FYI, if it mounts the same way as their other bumper then you can use the factory hitch with it. What I have to wonder though is why anyone would spend the money for this bumper if they are going to have the factory hitch anyway? The hitch gives you a better and stronger tow point. The only real benefit with the Calmini bumper is increased departure angle and you've already blown that by putting the factory hitch back on, not to mention the tire is still in the way.

That being said, a bumper could be built that has a hitch receiver AND would allow the tire to be stored. Just that nobody has done it. It would require the bumper to stick out a bit more, but it could still have the same height clearance and departure angle would be only slightly affected,which would be a mute point witht he tire under there and insignificant with it removed.

#73021 - 14/08/02 01:34 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Claus Offline

Question,

What kind of Steel is it build of?. Does it come powder coated?.

$389 US sounds a bit steep. also plate lights?. not sure if it is law in some states/provinces

good looking unit though

#73022 - 14/08/02 01:38 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus Christensen:
Question,

$389 US sounds a bit steep. also plate lights?. not sure if it is law in some states/provinces

good looking unit though
Not trying to be an ass.. but if you read the first post it states that there would be a plate light. It does come powder coated.. the type of steel.. I have no idea.

#73023 - 14/08/02 01:57 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus Christensen:
[b]Question,

good looking unit though
Not trying to be an ass.. but if you read the first post it states that there would be a plate light. It does come powder coated.. the type of steel.. I have no idea.[/b]
Thank you I saw the edit after having pressed "reply"

#73024 - 14/08/02 11:28 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Hell, if it allowed me to continue using the tow hitch, I'd buy it for the protection. I cap my hitch when not in use, but this mother would offer some nice protection even with my hitch capped.

I agree a recessed plate mount would be nice too, but it's just really window dressing. I'd think if the tow points were a little thicker like Brent mentioned, it would help the tow-less offroader pretty nicely.

#73025 - 15/08/02 05:10 AM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Carlton McMillan Offline

They said that it will accommidate the Nissan hitch..

#73026 - 15/08/02 07:14 AM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
This is *exactly* what I want... But... There's no receiver, and as some have mentioned - those recovery points look a bit weak.

Otherwise, hell, sign me up for one.

#73027 - 15/08/02 03:07 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Put a pair of these on... Then I think everyone would be satisfied.... Dontcha think?

#73028 - 15/08/02 03:33 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Y'all crack me up.

Everyone asked for a bumper replacement with recovery points, CALMINI finally makes one, and all you armchair engineers bitch about it.

What a bunch of dumb fucking observations.

The recovery points are 5/16" steel, and attach to the frame. If you bend one, you don't know how to recover a vehicle correctly.

The hole for the spare tire tool is the correct size. Why wouldn't it be ?

A reciever won't work on it unless they weld 3" diameter tubing along the backside of the bumper, just like the Nissan hitch or other aftermarket hitches

They could add the same receiever as the swing away, but then you have to put your spare tire on the roof like Daktari.

For those who think that looks cool, then this is the bumper for you. Buy it, and have a shop cut a hole in it for a receiver tube.

Sheesh... [Freak]

#73029 - 15/08/02 04:32 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
I am an engineer, but I aint got no arm chair in my office. laugh

[img]http://store3.yimg.com/I/showcasetoys_1694_1197493[/img]

Got paint?

#73030 - 15/08/02 04:57 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Y'all crack me up.

Everyone asked for a bumper replacement with recovery points, CALMINI finally makes one, and all you armchair engineers bitch about it.

What a bunch of dumb fucking observations.
Armchair this... If it doesn't have what I want - I ain't buyin' it. That should be easy enough to understand, right? [Finger]

I also don't recall Calmini soliciting suggestions or anything of that nature - unless this is what they're doing right now. So, I'm stating my opinion.

The bumbers WITH tire carriers all have receivers, so why shouldn't this one? Make the necessary under-bumper arrangements and supports. Are you saying that if they build them into the bumper, that you'll lose the ability to keep the spare under there? Stil...

It's not a hard concept, really. Make the same exact thing as the current ones - without the tire carrier! Shackles, everything. It's not the worst thing to happen, having to use a stock receiver... But ya might as well integrate it into the bumper, if possible.

#73031 - 15/08/02 05:13 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I think the recovery points are plenty strong, especially since they are welded over the entire bumper, not just a tab.

I added the photo of the fold up D rings for those who want to extract from ANY dimension. They are a nice piece of recovery gear, though they are more expensive than the average cheap Xterra dude would bite on (they retail for $125 a piece)

Silly people....

#73032 - 15/08/02 06:03 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:

The bumbers WITH tire carriers all have receivers, so why shouldn't this one?
Have you actually looked under your Xterra to see how close the spare comes to the stock bumper? Do you believe that there is ample room under there to have a properly braced reciever without it protruding into the spare (especially if you have anything larger than stock tires)

The only reason the bumpers with the swing out gate have the receiver integrated into the bumper is because with the spare out from under the truck there is room to properly brace the receiver (and to allow enough depth under the truck to allow for the hitch to slide into the receiver)

Or are you proposing that the receiver stick so far out from the bumper that you run the risk of catching it on everthing and having a bunch of levered force on the bumper?

#73033 - 15/08/02 06:33 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
BoarderPhreak Offline

I see your point, Carlton... I've not actually seen any of these aftermarket bumpers in person (save for the KMAs), so I'm not sure what's under/back there.

Why couldn't you use box/tube steel from frame to frame and run a receiver from that? That's essentially what the stock/accessory does... But in this case, just move it upwards some. I guess it would stick out a bit to allow for the tire, though, same as the accessory one does, while providing a step.

Yeah, I suppose just using this bumper with the accessory receiver would work - I was just thinking of integrating them both as much as possible and maybe allowing for a little better departure angle. Nothing too crazy, since after all - you still have the spare under there, anyway.

As far as those recovery points, I'm not looking at the welding of that tab onto the bumper (which is nice - good area) but rather the small amount of metal around the hole for the shackle. Without changing a thing except using slightly thicker metal, or a welded-on boss perhaps... I think that would be a better idea. No bending, tearing, etc. It would also keep the shackle from moving around too much in there laterally and/or at an angle. If you had an integrated receiver, you probably wouldn't even need these on the bumper, but it's nice to have them on either side. They seem further out than the frame - are they over the end of the frame tubing or out further?

The rest of the bumper is kick-ass - I'm not too sure about the license plate and that obvious hole, though. But from the first post, it seems they're still working on that. I assume that there's a rubber grip pad or something on top, or is it diamond plated? If not, no biggie - I can apply my own and have been eyeing these stick-on rubber strips for the stock bumper... IIRC, they're 4x17" and a package of two.

EDIT: The more I look at that center hole, the smaller it looks... It might work with a "normal" Xterra, but I have the spare tire lock, which requires a "thingamagig" attached to the end of the t-handle for lowering the spare. I don't think it would fit in this hole... Can anyone confirm that? I can go outside and measure and take pictures of this thing if need be...

#73034 - 15/08/02 06:42 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
sweatloaf Offline

Loc: colorado
LOL Ian! You crack me up...
I am on your side!! Deleting my stupid posts wont make anyone look any better.
People are never happy with a new product. Anyone can find a flaw, as you pointed out.
Buy it if you want it.
And, BTW, the only thing I dont have pierced is my X! wink

#73035 - 15/08/02 06:48 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sweatloaf:
LOL Ian! You crack me up...
I am on your side!! Deleting my stupid posts wont make anyone look any better.
People are never happy with a new product. Anyone can find a flaw, as you pointed out.
Buy it if you want it.
And, BTW, the only thing I dont have pierced is my X! wink
I deleted your post because it did not add anything of substance to this thread. Save that crap for the ALR

#73036 - 16/08/02 07:23 AM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
If it will allow the Nissan (or aftermarket) hitch, well then I retract my statement about integrating one. Just thought it would suck if there were no provision for a hitch.

As long as the recovery points aren't 1/4" they ought to do, I just don't see why not overbuild 'em a bit.

I agree, that hole to lower the spare does look like it's pushing it to allow the spare lock tool through. The vertical height of the bare bar is 3/8" or so, but with the tool on the end it's more like 5/8"

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#73037 - 16/08/02 08:09 AM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Ok since the tow hitch part is getting out of hand and the flames are starting, can someone just answer for now if this bumper is sturdy enough to hi-lift off of either with the straight jack or the bumper attachment? Im guessing that since it still allows for a spare under it and isn't as sturdy as the tire carrier bumper it might be no. Anyone?
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#73038 - 16/08/02 08:08 PM Re: Calmini rear bumper.... minus the tire swing..
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
It would not be as sturdy as the tire carrier bumper, but adding frame braces and quality hardware would go a long way in helping that out.

One of these days I'll have to see if I can get my 31" spare up behind my KMA bumper, but i suspect that a hitch would only have to come out another inch or so to clear a tire. Regardless, a hitch could be worked in somehow that would look good and function well, but it would require a different mounting setup than Calmini uses and a cross tube behind the bumper. It would add to the cost significantly too.

Calmini will sell a lot more of these bumpers if they listen to what people are asking for. Even if the price is higher, more people will buy if it has what they want. This B.S. that people should just accept what they build is stupid. It's a lose lose situation if there is no discussion.

Calmini makes some excellent products, but they also have a few duds, just like most any company. Hopefully they will respond positively to suggestions and ideas, as any good company should.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal