Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74775 - 21/01/03 04:26 PM YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
XTario Offline

Loc: Canada,QC
Hi,
The regular Yakima load warrior (without extention)...
Would I need the extention to fit a Yakima bike rack...
Does it even come with anything like that?

Thanks...

#74776 - 21/01/03 04:38 PM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
you don't need the extension to fit the load warrior unless you want it to extend where your cargo basket sits, and yes you can mount the bike carriers directly to the loadwarrior, but be advised that i believe the loadwarrior is only rated to something like 75 or 85 pounds, so if you mount your bikes on the loadwarrior the lateral force when you turn is going to be alot. What i did (though it was expensive) was mount the loadwarrior directly to the rack along with the x towers and crossbars this way it gives me a slightly lower profile and increases the weight that i can carry on my bike carriers the cross bars extend through the loadwarrior and the bike carriers are parallel to the loadwarrior. i have been very happy with the set up. I also have my ski/snowboard carrier mounted on the loadwarrior's crossbars.

#74777 - 21/01/03 04:53 PM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
you don't need the extension to fit the load warrior unless you want it to extend where your cargo basket sits, and yes you can mount the bike carriers directly to the loadwarrior, but be advised that i believe the loadwarrior is only rated to something like 75 or 85 pounds, so if you mount your bikes on the loadwarrior the lateral force when you turn is going to be alot. What i did (though it was expensive) was mount the loadwarrior directly to the rack along with the x towers and crossbars this way it gives me a slightly lower profile and increases the weight that i can carry on my bike carriers the cross bars extend through the loadwarrior and the bike carriers are parallel to the loadwarrior. i have been very happy with the set up. I also have my ski/snowboard carrier mounted on the loadwarrior's crossbars.
Sorry bud..
You lost me there..

OK..never mind..I just saw a pic thru search..I get what you mean now..
thanks a lot...

#74778 - 21/01/03 05:20 PM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XTario:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by buffalo:
[qb]you don't need the extension to fit the load warrior unless you want it to extend where your cargo basket sits, and yes you can mount the bike carriers directly to the loadwarrior, but be advised that i believe the loadwarrior is only rated to something like 75 or 85 pounds, so if you mount your bikes on the loadwarrior the lateral force when you turn is going to be alot. What i did (though it was expensive) was mount the loadwarrior directly to the rack along with the x towers and crossbars this way it gives me a slightly lower profile and increases the weight that i can carry on my bike carriers the cross bars extend through the loadwarrior and the bike carriers are parallel to the loadwarrior. i have been very happy with the set up. I also have my ski/snowboard carrier mounted on the loadwarrior's crossbars.
OK..I got around to find what Xtowers werew because they were not listed on the xterraparts list of 'toys'
But I am a little unclear on the part you explain about being more of having a lower profile..
If you placed the Load Warrior ON the Crossbars which are held by X towers..and then you mounted the bike carrier on top of those...wouldn't you be even higher???

You wouldn't have a pic handy would you??
That would be amazing smile

#74779 - 23/01/03 08:47 AM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
buffalo Offline

Sorry but i don't have pictures, to cheap to buy a digital camara right now. Ok let me try and explain this the best possible first mount the x-towers to the factory rack (BTW that price you got for the x-towers at 50.00 and the crossbars for 30 is excellent you are saving about 65 bucks)next step is to mount the loadwarrior to the factory rack ( you might have to adjust the factory crossbars slightly) the x -towers should be mounted directly behind the main lower crossbar of the loadwarrior and the rear ones directly in front of the rear lower crossbar of the loadwarrior, does that make sense? ok now feed the yakima crossbars through the side of the first and last section of the laod warrior and attach them to the x-towers. Be advised that your fork clearance on the bike rack will be minimal and may not even fit. I ended up going with the 58" crossbars and cutting to length. THis way the load warrior, crossbars and x- towers are so intertwined that the chance of theft is minimal. the center of the crossbars inside of the loadwarrior is lost since it sits so close to the front and back of the loadwarrior but it still leaves room to mount stuff on the loadwarrior's cross members. By doing this you get the best strength, best security and best use of all the accessories, the only negative that i have is that it gets expensive.
An other way is to mount the loadwarrior on the x-towers and crossbars with your bike rack on top of the loadwarrior this is the easiest way but defeats the purpose because everything rides so hight that it becomes useless.

#74780 - 25/01/03 10:47 PM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
Sorry but i don't have pictures, to cheap to buy a digital camara right now. Ok let me try and explain this the best possible first mount the x-towers to the factory rack (BTW that price you got for the x-towers at 50.00 and the crossbars for 30 is excellent you are saving about 65 bucks)next step is to mount the loadwarrior to the factory rack ( you might have to adjust the factory crossbars slightly) the x -towers should be mounted directly behind the main lower crossbar of the loadwarrior and the rear ones directly in front of the rear lower crossbar of the loadwarrior, does that make sense? ok now feed the yakima crossbars through the side of the first and last section of the laod warrior and attach them to the x-towers. Be advised that your fork clearance on the bike rack will be minimal and may not even fit. I ended up going with the 58" crossbars and cutting to length. THis way the load warrior, crossbars and x- towers are so intertwined that the chance of theft is minimal. the center of the crossbars inside of the loadwarrior is lost since it sits so close to the front and back of the loadwarrior but it still leaves room to mount stuff on the loadwarrior's cross members. By doing this you get the best strength, best security and best use of all the accessories, the only negative that i have is that it gets expensive.
An other way is to mount the loadwarrior on the x-towers and crossbars with your bike rack on top of the loadwarrior this is the easiest way but defeats the purpose because everything rides so hight that it becomes useless.
A-hA..I get it..
Thanks much!

#74781 - 26/01/03 11:12 AM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
X-Rack Offline

Loc: USA
Here's some pictures on the Yakima Load Warrior & bike rack setup:

Regards [Wave]

#74782 - 27/01/03 11:45 AM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
buffalo Offline

great, x-rack has it exactly right, its a pain in the ass to mount but the way that its mounted its a deterrent for theft alone. its a real bitch to loosen and tighten the nuts and bolts.

#74783 - 27/01/03 12:42 PM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Just wondering if there would be any conflict using lowriders instead of X towers ?

#74784 - 27/01/03 03:55 PM Re: YAKIMA load warrior and bike rail question?
buffalo Offline

If you mount it the way x-rack and i have done it , i think either x-towers or lowriders would work, my only concern is if the crossbars on the low rider ride to low you wont be able to do it because the bed of the loadwarrior would be in the way.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal