Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77467 - 15/04/07 08:57 PM Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read through all the past forums I could find on the yakima options and was wondering if anyone's figured out exactly how the lowrider and lowrider max differ. I know the max has a different claw.

The issue for me is that I have a set of lowriders already from my Forester. I tried to put them on the X but can't seem to get them to grip very tight, they seem to just barely hang on. Anyone know if you can put the Max claws on the regular lowrider for extra grip? I'd rather not have to buy an additional set of towers.

The other disadvantage to the tower route is the added height they create for no good reason. I'd love to have those crossbars right on top of the factory tubes. The factory rack is already high enough, adding another rack system stacked on top of that seems like a pretty clumsy apparatus.

Another idea I had was to U-bolt some Thule bars directly to the factory rack, but I haven't succeeded in finding the best hardware yet. I was hoping for stainless u-bolts but can't find them in the right size. Regular steel muffler clamps come in the perfect size, but I've used those for other outdoor projects and they rust in about twenty seconds.

Any other ideas for this? Pics would be great. I need to mount a rocket box and a 6' stepladder, probably the basket case will fit underneath it all, and I'll occasionally have a bike or two (yakima lockjaw.)

#77468 - 16/04/07 12:43 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I can't answer everything, but I have the LowRider MAX and I enjoy it. I gave up when I first started looking and just called Yakima. The guy explained that the LowRider was the first iteration of the two. It had a generic clamp meant to cover most factory racks. He said the X and a few other new factory racks had too large a diameter, so they came up with the LowRider MAX, which is the same idea, but allows a custom fit "claw" part that you order according to your vehicle type. The claw (#2 for the X I think) fits perfectly, and I'm very statisfied.

I can post some pics if it helps, here's the best I have right now...

Anyway, I'm curious if you can mount the lowriders upside down, to gain back some space...

I'll have to eyeball it tonight.

#77469 - 16/04/07 09:42 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very good that's helpful, thanks for the pic too.

#77470 - 19/04/07 07:17 AM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just put the Max claw on my regular lowriders. Easy install and grips like a lobster. Bought the C2 claws at REI for around 20.00. Highly recommend.

Jake

#77471 - 21/04/07 09:36 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jake21:
I just put the Max claw on my regular lowriders. Easy install and grips like a lobster. Bought the C2 claws at REI for around 20.00. Highly recommend.

Jake
I was thinking about trying that, but my regular lowrider just barely has enough wrap-around to hook over the bar, and it chews up the finish on the bar, so I'm a little worried about that. Though I suppose with the big claw there's more clamping going on at the inside than the outside of the bar.

#77472 - 22/04/07 04:59 AM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
What's with the key bad on the roof basket?

#77473 - 22/04/07 05:52 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterradon:
What's with the key bad on the roof basket?
It's the keyless entry keypad, I just happened to put mine on the top bin. Read more here:
XOC Keypad discussion

#77474 - 22/04/07 08:32 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do any of you find that the yakima round bars whistle like they say the thules do? They never did on either of my subarus, but with all that apparatus on the xterra I wondered if there's extra turbulence.

#77475 - 27/04/07 02:30 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buley --- Have you been able to check and see if the Lowriders mount upside down? I've been wondering about that as well for the past year I've owned my X. I have the universal mighty mounts but haven't installed them because I think it will put the rack, basket or carriers too high.

Thanks,

Nick

#77476 - 29/04/07 02:18 PM Re: Yakima Lowrider vs. Lowrider Max & other racking ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

a quick measurement says unlikely. It seems it's just a little too narrow, and even if it would, I'm not sure any accessories would be able to mount onto the bar and not rub on the roof. I'll gladly try it out this week though, and post some pics if I manage to mount anything.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal