Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77814 - 03/10/05 01:53 PM Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to be putting on sliders as my next upgrade and just wondered if there was a consensus on brand. Obviously the Shrockworks sliders are the most popular but I also like the Calmini for the flat step on the topside. I have two kids climbing in and out a lot so the less slips and bruises on the shins the better. Although it looks like the angle of the Shrocks give you a little more clearance.

thanks guys/gals

#77815 - 03/10/05 03:10 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just as an informational post. The Shrock's sliders only stick out about 2 inches past the door frame body while Calmini's stick out (guessing on length & someone please correct me if wrong) 3 to 4 inches. So for kids, my suggestion (as much as I love my Shrock sliders) would be the Calmini ones due to extra foot area and ease of adding a non-skid tape to foot area. I personally bought the Shrock's due to similarity to stock rails and just didn't like the squareness of Calmini's but both seem to suffice for what your purchasing them for.

#77816 - 03/10/05 03:24 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not seen the Shrock sliders in person but I do have the Calmini sliders and they dont stick out far at all , as a matter of fact I put some "grip tape" on them because my oldest son slipped off and smashed his shin on it some time ago. I have heard that the Shrock sliders stick out a bit father.

#77817 - 03/10/05 03:41 PM Re: Slider preference?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
combines the flatness of the Calmini model with the wide coverage of the shrock model.

4crawler

#77818 - 03/10/05 03:43 PM Re: Slider preference?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
...I have heard that the Shrock sliders stick out a bit farther...
Yes, they do...but they also are angled a little higher also...I have the Shrocks, and I personally think you will be Ok with the Shrocks...

Here's a close Pic of the Shrocks to give you an Idea :

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#77819 - 03/10/05 03:45 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would go with shrock if I were to buy, I like the look better; they both function well from what I hear.
I built mine to offer some side protection, the step rail portion is plumb with the side molding on the door. Nice for the high lift, lots of step room, and a nasty suprise for careless door dingers. Also standing room for six when corssing the field to bon fire pit laugh

#77820 - 03/10/05 07:42 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 2 small kids and they use the Shrockwork sliders quite easily to get in and out. No problem at all.

#77821 - 03/10/05 09:30 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

SHROCK!!!! ALL THE WAY!!!

#77822 - 03/10/05 10:21 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any of those are great [ThumbsUp] Check your local club and see who's into fabrication. I've seen plenty of homegrown sliders serve their purpose. It's all good, just as long as they're yellow :p

#77823 - 04/10/05 04:18 AM Re: Slider preference?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
From what I've seen, the Shrocks are my favorite, but they all seem to work.

The shrocks do stick out and up to protect the rocker areas better, most of the others seem to be all about bottom up only protection, where the Shrocks come up to under the doors more from the bottom, and actually have two rails, one protecting the frame rail area and the under carriage, while the outer/upper rail (The one you can also use as a step),

is better at protecting you from objects on your sides, without impeding ground clearance like the ones that also have two rails, but have them at the same height so that the outer one steals clearance, etc.

The Shrock bars are round, but I haven't found any problem using them as a step as the diameter is huge...some have put grip tape on the top surface to provide more traction especially when wet...I haven't needed to, but its an easy thing to do if desired.

I have the Shrock and a 2" BL, and mine are built for the 2" BL, so I am not 100% sure if my outer bar is positioned exactly like the non-BL ones...but it looks to be either the same or damn close based upon pictures and trail observations....my inner bar and the curvature is such that I could not mount the BL bars onto a non-BL rig, but, I could mount the non-BL bars onto a BL rig.

laugh

So - I love mine, the powder coat is tough as nails...even stepping on the drivers side one every day several times a day for over a year, the powder coat looks like new, not worn off where I step on it....and not peeeling off like my Calmini's, etc.

laugh

People who drive like maniacs who have rammed me have suffered greatly when they hit the shrocks...and the bars, and the protected truck, come out unscathed.

laugh

So - I like mine.

Room to step on

Protection from bottom/sides

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#77824 - 04/10/05 05:54 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey TJ, have you ever thought of putting that no-slip tape onto the sliders? That sandpaper-like stuff? Mapman and I both have it on ours. I love it!! Prevents slippage if you are using them as an actual step rail.

I bought the Shrock bars unfinished and put about 7 coats of spray-on bed-liner onto them. Then I topped them off with the grop tape. Here is the result(I actually had to clean the sliders to see the grip tape):

#77825 - 04/10/05 06:00 AM Re: Slider preference?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
..have you ever thought of putting that no-slip tape onto the sliders? That sandpaper-like stuff? Mapman and I both have it on ours. I love it!! Prevents slippage if you are using them as an actual step rail...
I actually had "Skateboard Tape" on my Shrocks, and Loved it...took them off, cause they were peeling off after a year or so...planning on putting some more on later...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#77826 - 04/10/05 06:02 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They sell like 10'x1" thick rolls of it here in IL. I think the roll is like $3. If anyone wants some, I can go get a bunch and send them out.....

#77827 - 04/10/05 06:05 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jhrsallie:
I have 2 small kids and they use the Shrockwork sliders quite easily to get in and out. No problem at all.
Same here, no problems at all

#77828 - 04/10/05 08:38 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i second the vote for 4crawler. plus they provide the best step for access to the roof.

#77829 - 04/10/05 08:45 AM Re: Slider preference?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Have the Calmini, but would probably go with Shrock if I were to get them now (Shrock came out a year or so after I got mine).

#77830 - 04/10/05 09:26 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys, lots of good input, I appreciate it. My guess is that I'll go with the Shrocks but I'm going to research the 4Crawler ones a little bit more first.

Of course, I don't think I've ever heard any real complaints about Shrockworks products or service so that certainly puts them in a favorable light.

Thanks again for the input!!! [ThumbsUp]

Rob

#77831 - 04/10/05 01:28 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the 4crawler ones and love them. They stick out the farthest out of all I have seen.

#77832 - 06/10/05 04:21 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like my EOE sliders. They stick out just as far as the 4krawlers.

#77833 - 06/10/05 06:52 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In terms of a step the 4 crawler is the way to go.

They will all function just fine.

#77834 - 06/10/05 10:51 AM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Make your own like i did.

I hava great step and great protection.

I recently had the X hop sideways into a bigass rock. The sliders hit the rock and prevented door damage.

I bought grip tape for the top, but have never used it since the steps are so useful. I can even use them with snowboard boots on!

#77835 - 06/10/05 12:37 PM Re: Slider preference?
TJ Offline

Jeff - I Can't see the sliders you made in those shots...can you post a pic from the top down, or with good lighting/contrast?

Home mades are the best, as you can do EXACTLY what you want with them.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#77836 - 06/10/05 01:04 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Jeff - I Can't see the sliders you made in those shots...can you post a pic from the top down, or with good lighting/contrast?

Home mades are the best, as you can do EXACTLY what you want with them.

laugh
There's nothing to see. They're just metal tubing.

#77837 - 06/10/05 01:08 PM Re: Slider preference?
TJ Offline

Nothing to see?

What, like I asked for a pic of an ugly girl friend?

wink

#77838 - 06/10/05 02:37 PM Re: Slider preference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Nothing to see?

What, like I asked for a pic of an ugly girl friend?

wink
I don't understand what's wrong with your monitor.

Is everybody having trubble seeing them? mebbe my monitor is too brite.

I just posted a couple of pics that accurately show the position and useful step of the sliders. Are the sliders not visible on the second pic?

Is that better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal