Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78221 - 03/08/01 09:07 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
TimR Offline

Loc: Forest Lake, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites:
For most applications this hitch is a steal running at $120 installed, if your aim is to tote Bayliners around, get a bigger truck

The point is, a Nissan Xterra is fully capable of towing a Bayliner around with a proper hitch. The fact that _you_ choose to use an inferior hitch because _you_ don't stress the system does not indicate someone else needs a bigger truck if they are going to use the hitch to its potential. The weak link is the hitch without stiffeners, it is not the truck. THAT is the point.

Quote:
And what "wonder" hitch do you have?

I have the Nissan Factory hitch.

Quote:
Does utilizing a hitch mean boat towing only?

No. "USE" was capitalized to indicate "use to its potential". I'm sure the U-Haul hitch is great for bike racks, utility trailers, etc.

Quote:
The whole point is that the u-haul hitch performs as well as any other.

No, it doesn't in all aspects.

Quote:
Yes it does lack frame stiffeners but a majority of us do not plan on maxing out the X in load pulling.

And as I said originally, if you are going to USE the hitch, get the one with the frame stiffeners.

For the "majority" of you, then, get the U'Haul hitch - but don't get your undies in a bundle when you are told it won't provide the same function as a factory hitch. And remember, if there is a limitation, it will be the hitch you install - not the truck.

TimR

------------------

#78222 - 03/08/01 10:19 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:

I never sad Uhaul hitch is good
read my message again and show me where i sad that !

ALL I SAD IS: if your tail pipe rattels, you can just bend it a little bit away from the hitch

Olegkha,

I know how you feel about the u-haul hitch. It just seems like you really went after me on the U-Haul hitch awhile back, and you are beeing pretty nice to these others who like the U-Haul hitch. If it makes you feel any better, I am glad I upgraded to the Nissan hitch because I have purchased a 17' boat and feel much safer using the Nissan rather than the U-Haul hitch.

And that's all I have to say about that...

------------------
"We did not inherit the Earth from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children."

#78223 - 03/08/01 10:49 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
I know how you feel about the u-haul hitch. It just seems like you really went after me on the U-Haul hitch awhile back, and you are beeing pretty nice to these others who like the U-Haul hitch. If it makes you feel any better, I am glad I upgraded to the Nissan hitch because I have purchased a 17' boat and feel much safer using the Nissan rather than the U-Haul hitch.

And that's all I have to say about that...

[/B]

Neh man , i could care less right now about who got what hitch, if any one cares what hitch has its own pluses and minuses they can search xoc

all i sad earlyer is: if your tail pipe hits hitch or rear waag guard, you can just bend the tail pipe an inch or so down
and that wil stop that bad sound

My tail pipe was touching my Nissan hitch, no problem, i put a spacer in the back bracket of the tail pipe and bend it down about an inch

------------------

#78224 - 03/08/01 12:23 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
You have to much free time on your hands, I could care less WTF you tow nor with what type of hitch. If you like to tow oversized sh1t around then good for you. For someone toting bikes around the cost of a nissan hitch isnt justified. Unless youre one of these yuppie stains that have to have the name brand crap because its what youre told you should have. There is quite a price diff between the two most notably being the $140 installation fee alone from the local nissan dealer. So tell me, do you think I needed the frame stiffeners for a pair of 19 pound bikes?

------------------
§olar Yellow,2K, V~6, XE

#78225 - 03/08/01 12:46 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
JayzX Offline

Loc: Sigonella, Sicily, Italy
Luckily our X already had the factory hitch installed when we bought it.

My dad towed a decent sized boat (maybe 24-feet long or so) from lower FL to Pittsburgh, PA w/ a 70's Oldsmobile and a U-haul hitch. The hitch didn't brake off, so my dad installed one on his new Dakota.

I think you guys need to hook your X's up to each other by the hitches and have a pull-off to see who's hitch breaks first. Then and only then can we say which is better.

------------------
Jay's X
"You have to remember there's a little Homer Simpson in all of us." - Homer Simpson Episode #7603

"What are you gonna make me do? Wack a guy? Off a guy? Wack-off a guy? Cuz I'm married!" - Peter (The Family Guy)

#78226 - 03/08/01 12:57 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
angelo15 Offline

Loc: Simpsonville, South Carolina ...
I am new to the forum. My wife and I just purchased a new X 4x2 Just Blue SE 5 speed. There is a cable in the rear that is for the automatic "Trailer Wiring Harness for Automatic Transmission". Since I have a 5 speed, does this mean that I have to buy the "Tow Harness Kit for Manual Transmission"? Or, can I just go without it. I have never bought a hitch or ever towed anything so I really don't have a clue about anything. I will be pulling a 3 person jetski so there won't be too much weight. Please let me know what you can. Also, do I have to have the harness before I buy the Hitch? Thank you, Angelo!!

------------------
Angeloco

#78227 - 03/08/01 01:35 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
TimR Offline

Quote:
You have to much free time on your hands, I could care less WTF you tow nor with what type of hitch.

Then why did you ask?

"And what "wonder" hitch do you have? "
--LastRites

Quote:
If you like to tow oversized sh1t around then good for you.

Oversized? Heaviest boat&trailer was ~4000lbs. Max rating is 5000lbs

Quote:
For someone toting bikes around the cost of a nissan hitch isnt justified.

Oh, I see, the original question stated they wanted one of those bike carriers on the back. Wait a minute, no it didn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9:
Hi all.. I live in Studio City, CA. I have a '01 Nissan V-6 XE, I've added the front and back grills, rear wind deflector and chrome rims..... but what I would like to add is a tow hitch. Where would I go or look to find the right ones?

Next insightful comment:

Quote:
Unless youre one of these yuppie stains that have to have the name brand crap because its what youre told you should have.

I am neither a yuppie, nor a stain, yet sometimes I'll buy namebrand when there is a quality difference.

Quote:
There is quite a price diff between the two most notably being the $140 installation fee alone from the local nissan dealer.

1. You need your dealer to install it for you?

2. The original poster has chrome rims already. You think a $140 charge for install is out of line for them?

Quote:
So tell me, do you think I needed the frame stiffeners for a pair of 19 pound bikes?

Hmmm, you ask what I think. Okay:
a) two road bikes? No.
b) 1 road and 1 mtn? I think you're a liar saying you have a 19 lb mtb. Still won't need the stiffeners.

Quit being such a cry-baby wank. All I said was that someone who would actually tow something would be better off with the stiffeners. If someone wants to use the receiver to hang their bikes on - stiffeners won't matter. Sorry that that comments somehow tramples your ego.

TimR

------------------

#78228 - 03/08/01 04:00 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
I cry, you bitch....whats your goal here?
Two very beautiful road bikes....
You feeling all burly getting all worked up on your keyboard?
I propose we either drop it and agree that You have a nissan hitch and I do not....does it even fvcking matter?

------------------
§olar Yellow,2K, V~6, XE

#78229 - 03/08/01 08:33 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
TimR Offline

-My goal is to point out to a hitch buyer that there are possible negative ramifications to skimping on the hitch. I can't see what I said that you would call bitching.

-I'm not feeling very burly at the moment, I have a cold.

-Also, I'm not worked up. It takes much more than an inane argument on the internet to get me worked up.

-No, we agree that the U-Haul hitch is fine for a lot of people. We disagree whether a hitch with frame stiffeners offers an advantage to a person using said hitch within the capabilities of the vehicle.

This is very similar to a discussion on another list I'm on. One camp said that a torque wrench was not necessary for installation of a crank. The other camp recognized that not everyone knew what 35 ft/lbs felt like, and someone new would benefit from the purchase of a torque wrench. Nine times out of ten they would be close enough, but spending a little in the beginning would save them from the tenth time.

In this case, it matters that someone reading this thread for information _might_ benefit from having a Nissan hitch if they intend to tow something.

TimR

Quote:
I cry, you bitch....whats your goal here?
Two very beautiful road bikes....
You feeling all burly getting all worked up on your keyboard?
I propose we either drop it and agree that You have a nissan hitch and I do not....does it even fvcking matter?

------------------

#78230 - 30/08/01 11:20 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
well, i got my uhaul tow hitch about a month ago and it's working out great. after reading thru, i want to clarify some things about the uhaul hitch-
1. it fits with no modifications, is the "sport"-style (similar to the nissan hitch)and bolts into existing holes.

i watched them install it and finally found out how to lower the spare (its easier to mount with the spare slightly loose).

2. uhaul hitch comes with frame stiffeners

3.uhaul will honor all warranty concerns if you are missing your "uhaul" decal- just keep your receipt in the truck.

4. you can move the decal to an inconspicuous area if you don't want to advertise- it almost peels off by itself.

5. lifetime warranty costs $5

6. hitch +installation was about $140 plus 20 minutes watching them put it on. good deal, i would say!

7. it is rated to 5000lbs. don't think it would be fun with a 170hp engine, but there you have it. it's solid. its a tow hitch. no biggie.

also, it does not hit the exhaust pipe- i can't shake the pipe enough to hit the hitch and it doesn't rattle when driving.

#78231 - 13/10/01 09:55 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Kat_X Offline

Loc: Newark, CA
This is my first post. I just bought a 2002 X s/c SE. Today I went to Uhaul for a tow hitch.It's the tubular style similar to the Nissan one. Part #78193. Everything costed me $158.85 out the door. The only modification the guy had to do was raising the tailpipe up about 1/4" (using 2 washers)otherwise it touches the hitch. It looks great. It took about 20 mins. for the installation.

#78232 - 14/10/01 06:26 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Kat_X Offline

Loc: Newark, CA
Correction to my last post:
The tailpipe had to be lowered for 1/4" not raised. Sorry.

#78233 - 14/10/01 07:38 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by rjm022:
ebay-buy from abscuses-he has the tubular hitches that now have the step plate like the factory ones. his customer service is top notch,in case you have any problems or questions.if you are worried about the frame stiffeners, skid row will have them available in sept!

Abascuses is the one I purchased mine from too! Great deal!

-Rick

#78234 - 14/10/01 09:45 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
dp21499 Offline

Loc: San Jose California
Right on the money Neil, I have my uhaul hitch for over 2 years now and no complain at all, even intstalled it myself..and it does come with the frame stiffeners...

#78235 - 27/02/03 08:00 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Efrain Offline

Loc: Chicago
dp21499 ...
Yours came with frame stiffeners? What do they look like on the Uhaul? I just got mine and it did not come with any frame stiffeners.

#78236 - 27/02/03 08:20 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Efrain:
dp21499 ...
Yours came with frame stiffeners? What do they look like on the Uhaul? I just got mine and it did not come with any frame stiffeners.
You do realize you replied to a thread that's almost a year and half old?

dp has posted twice in the last couple months so don't hold your breath. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal