Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78283 - 27/08/02 01:53 PM yakima rack question
Taylor S Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
I'm thinking of putting a yakima loadwarrior on the roof of my 2002 'X' SE. The problem is that I want to keep the stock basket over the sunroof. I am also planning to mount some lights on the front roof crossbar. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this will fit. I don't want to buy the yakima loadwarrior if it needs to be mounted on the front crossbar. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

#78284 - 27/08/02 02:40 PM Re: yakima rack question
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
If you are mounting the loadwarrior to the crossbars, then you will need both of them. Yakima sells light mounts that attach to the loadwarrior so you may not need the front crossbar. The loadwarrior is short enough lengthwise that it will not interfere with the stock roof basket.

#78285 - 27/08/02 04:13 PM Re: yakima rack question
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by lil_pino:
The loadwarrior is short enough lengthwise that it will not interfere with the stock roof basket.
The stock Loadwarrior will fit, leaving the gear basket usable... just be sure to move the crossbars back a bit so everything fits...

Do not get the Loadwarrior extension if you plan on using your factory basket... otherwise your roof will look like this...
Boarderphreak\'s Roof

As for lights, I agree with lilpino, get the Yakima light mounting brackets and mount them like you see on Boarderphreak's roof.

#78286 - 27/08/02 05:26 PM Re: yakima rack question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
MB's right - just get the LW itself, no extension. Use both crossbars to mount it, which may require adjustment from their stock/current positions.

As for lights, get that one that was listed on Ebay and posted here for like, $75. That seems to be a nice, sano solution (I just don't care for the two *screws* holding it all on).

Or, my suggestion - the Yakima Light Bar Brackets for $30ish. Mounts two lights as seen in that linked photo above by MB... Or, like what I'll probably do - is fashion a bar to go betwixt the two mounts for four lights...

#78287 - 02/09/02 03:38 AM Re: yakima rack question
Khaki_SE_X Offline

Loc: Baltimore
I just installed a Load Warrior (With Extension).

Without the extension, it will work just fine.

With the extension you could still leave the front basket in (and not be able to remove it). However, you would only have about 5" to 8" between the Load Warrior and the wind deflector. Enough room to put small items. I just took my front basket out. I personally found it totally useless.

If you order a Load Warrior extension, it comes with a "Load Bar", which looks like it might be strong enough for a few lights. Or.. you can order the light brackets (for around 30 bucks).
Agee\'s Bikes sells Yakama products.. the are giving 20% on major purchases that you can use for smaller items like light brackets and nets. And they are also offering free shipping. eek

HaPpY Trails,
Ken

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal