Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78623 - 07/02/03 09:17 AM 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Found these on ebay. Wouldn't mind getting them if they were a little cheaper. Has a similar look to the 2002/2003 headlights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=2402885417&rd=1

What do yall think?

#78624 - 07/02/03 09:39 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Looks nice... But it's new to the market... And
that $149 price is steep... It doesn't say
what the bulb wattage is either... I dunno...
I guess we'd need a ginny (sp?) pig to test it
out... Ya wanna volunteer Poorboy? Hheheheeh!!

- Air B

#78625 - 07/02/03 10:08 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Hadn't seen that, my Ebay "xterra" search excludes the word "bulbs" among about 20 other terms, easily cuts 3 pages worth of hits from the results wink
Hey, they're reflector instead of refractive style, that's an improvement! Now, how well they're executed is another matter. I'm perfectly happy with the stock lights, I wouldn't spend half that to "improve" them.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#78626 - 07/02/03 10:55 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Hmmmmmm. Those suckers would probably be pretty bright if you dropped some SilverStars or PIAA's in 'em, huh? Maybe even so bright that those of us wih square headlights could blind everyone coming at us without our brights on like our round-headlighted brethren run around doing all the time.

(02-03 owners don't take it personally, it's not your fault, but please re-im those damn things a tad lower if you haven't already)

#78627 - 07/02/03 01:19 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Firebraun:
Hmmmmmm. Those suckers would probably be pretty bright if you dropped some SilverStars or PIAA's in 'em, huh? Maybe even so bright that those of us wih square headlights could blind everyone coming at us without our brights on like our round-headlighted brethren run around doing all the time.

(02-03 owners don't take it personally, it's not your fault, but please re-im those damn things a tad lower if you haven't already)
I wouldn't be too sure. It's not the brightness that blinds it's the pattern. If they have better focusing than the stock lights then the extra brightness won't be an issue and they could actually be less offensive to oncoming drivers.

I might be willing to be a guinnea pig...I hate the stupid ass lights we got from the factory with their upside down focus.

#78628 - 07/02/03 01:25 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Too late; I already bought them...lol!

Hey; I'm not shy. Will try them. If I don't like them I can always put them back on eBay, eh? laugh

#78629 - 10/02/03 09:24 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Too late; I already bought them...lol!

Hey; I'm not shy. Will try them. If I don't like them I can always put them back on eBay, eh? laugh
Hey Chuck... Keep us posted... Perhaps take a few
pics after you've installed them... Thanks for
being our ginny (sp?) pig... But like you said...
If you don't like them, then it's back to eBay!!
Hehhehehhehhe.... Lates!

- Air B

#78630 - 10/02/03 12:53 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

They're suppose to be here Wednesday and with any luck they'll be installed before the weekend or over the weekend at the latest. Definately will keep everyone posted.

BTW, this same guy has more available on eBay, although I suspect you're all going to wait and see how mine work! [Wave]

#78631 - 10/02/03 08:53 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
They look like they would put out more light. That is one thing on the 00-01 Xs I do not like. I got spoiled with my wife's 98 Maxima. Gator

#78632 - 12/02/03 06:38 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
mxitup Offline

Loc: Everett, WA
Keep us all posted ! Some pics (including night time pics) would be great ! Be sure and do some "before" pics for comparison.

Thanks ! smile

#78633 - 14/02/03 12:10 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Some intitial impressions and pictures.

They still need to be properly aimed. They were a little low and crosseyed when I took the photos but I think the photos show enough so that you can see the differences. While nothing extraordinary they are an improvement over the stock lights. You will notice that the upper cutoff is flatter and a bit sharper with these lights and they have a wider spread, lighting up the sides of the road better. Like the stock lights they do not light up the road as much as I would like, but they do seem to be an improvement; at least at this point.

I had the PIAA Xtreme Whites in both the old and new set and I tried to take the photos in the same or close spots. Yes, they use the 9004 bulb just like the old ones. i would like to have seen a 9007 conversion, but that may still be possible if I get ambitious. I'm not going to offer a final judgement until they are aimed better and I have spent more time with them, but so far I like them. I will say that installing them was a total PITA! If anyone here has had their grill off you'll understand. Let's just say that only two clips remained functional by the time I got done swearing and prying on stuff! I also drilled a couple new holes in the grill trying to get to a couple of the lower clips. I ended up just ripping or cutting them and one of them I drilled out. I will be using bolts to put things back together thank you very much!

Well, here are the first pics!

#78634 - 14/02/03 02:00 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
is it just the camera or do the "new lights driveway" look like they have a blindspot directly in front of your bumper?
i'm one of the "round-headlight brethren" and i notice my lights pretty much clear up the entire area around the front of xterra (not that i'm braggin, i've pissed a few motorists off lately).

#78635 - 14/02/03 05:01 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
njs1stlt Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Nice, I may be next.

#78636 - 14/02/03 05:56 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
Those look really great. Since I put in the Silverstars I do get the occasional bright light and I can only imagine what would happen with these.

#78637 - 14/02/03 06:44 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
is it just the camera or do the "new lights driveway" look like they have a blindspot directly in front of your bumper?
i'm one of the "round-headlight brethren" and i notice my lights pretty much clear up the entire area around the front of xterra (not that i'm braggin, i've pissed a few motorists off lately).
Yes, just like the original lights the area directly in front is left dark. I am lifted too so that extends this area a little bit and makes it harder for the lower portion of the beam to touch ground.

To those worried about being flashed; I don't think that will be any more of an issue. The pattern is a little bit better and you are still using the 45/65 9004 bulb. I would get flashed before with the factory lights even when they were aimed low...people are just idiots. With the old lights I could actually look directly into them and they didn't bother me so I'm not sure what the flashing was about.

Gotta run...more later!

#78638 - 14/02/03 06:45 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
The new lenses do seem to make the light more true to color (more white then yellow). The small amount of a blindspot will easily be filled with fogs. Looks good and will be awaiting an update with time use.

#78639 - 14/02/03 08:15 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I had a little trouble the first time I pulled my grille off, but not nearly like you described. I recently had it off again when I put my air horns in, and it's almost second nature now. I assume you removed your turn signal housings.
There were only a couple that were tricky, and I didn't bother to re-clip those two, but the rest were intact. Some you have to remove from the rear/side by pressing the little clip tab, leaving the clip attached to the grille. Others have to be removed from the front by inserting a long screwdriver into the slot and twisting the square head, allowing the grille to come off it and leaving the clip attached to the body. Reassembly is best done by having all the clips in the grille, they all go back into place in a matter of seconds.
Actually, it might be a bit trickier with the stock bumper. I know with my TJM there was plenty of room to get at some from below, and I imagine your ARB was similar.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#78640 - 22/02/03 06:02 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Just a quick update.

Still happy with the lights. THey certainly can't compare to projector beams or HID's, but they are better than stock and that's a good thing. If I were to put it as a percentage I would say that they are maybe 20-25% better than the stock lights in terms of output, and most of that gain is in the side sweep. They light up the side of the road significantly better. The tighter cutoff at the top of the beam was a little weird at first but apparently oncoming drivers appreciate it as I haven't gotten flashed yet and nobody coming the other way has driven onto the shoulder (happened quite a bit with the old lights, oddly).

I think that guy had three sets for sale a few days ago that were all put up at the same time and now there are two so I think someone else must have bought a set. Anyone here?

I think my next headlight project will be to do a 9004 to 9007 bulb conversion. I will probably make a plug in adapter harness and then fitting the bulb is just a matter of cutting out two of the alignment pegs in the housing. That will give me another 10 watts of light on low beam. Not much but it made a bit of a difference on my last car.

#78641 - 23/02/03 08:21 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
njs1stlt Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Chuck I ordered them and should have them sometime this week, I'll give you my install nightmare story when I get it.

#78642 - 23/02/03 10:42 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Just a note for everyone, if people are flashing you, or driving off the road onto the shoulder to avoid you (WTF !?!?), then your lights are aimed way too high.

Adjust them before you cause an accident. If they are still a problem, take them to a dealership and have them aimed professionally.

It has nothing to do with lift kits, or taller Xterras, as there are many vehicles taller than you, with brighter lights (semis, Escalades, Hummers), that aren't blinding oncoming traffic.

It has nothing to do with the pattern either, I have never been flashed in my 2000 Xterra in 3 and a half years.

#78643 - 23/02/03 11:10 AM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

FYI Ian, my stock lights were aimed way low and to the right. It is possible that those driving onto the shouler were doing so because of a vehicle in front or behind me...just noticed that it hasn't happened since changing the lights. People around here are retards anyway and usually the one flashing is the one with the most offensive lights...go figure! Usually a soccermom in a big ass Suburban with super bright and poorly focused lights.

#78644 - 23/02/03 03:12 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
do the light housings have SAE or DOT markings stamped onto the lenses? just wondering if they are DOT approved and will pass inspection here in VA.

#78645 - 23/02/03 04:58 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Well, I don't know what it all means but they have the following markings:

HB1 - I think this is just a type of light.
SAE HR 95 DOT - I assume this means they are DOT compliant.
KS-DS526 - Probably a model number.

They also have the three alignment nipples.

#78646 - 24/02/03 08:42 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
XtremeX Offline

Loc: Springfield,VA,USA
I just bought the third pair on Ebay! :p They went on sale ONE hour ago, and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Thank you Lord! I've been searching for these things for more than a year now!

Ha ha...guess what's coming next?! A new Hella HID 7000k conversion kit...

#78647 - 24/02/03 08:52 PM Re: 2000/2001 "Euro" Headlights
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XtremeX:
I just bought the second pair on Ebay! :p They went on sale ONE hour ago, and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Thank you Lord! I've been searching for these things for more than a year now!

Ha ha...guess what's coming next?! A new Hella HID 7000k conversion kit...
I think these lights might be a good candidate for the HID upgrade. Can't wait to see how yours turn out!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal