Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80075 - 16/11/04 09:16 AM Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
Zaskoda Offline

Loc: Austin, TX 2000 Green XE M...
I had to have tranny work done and replaced my clutch in the process. I got the centerforce clutch available at Calmini:

http://www.purenissan.com/centerforce_clutch3.htm

When I drove it away from the shop today, I noticed the clutch felt MUCH lighter than it used to. It grabs great, but it doesn't have nearly the same peddle resistance of the old clutch.

Everywhere I read, it said this clutch should feel the same as the old... Should I be alarmed? Is the resistance something that can be adjusted on the clutch? Is there a chance it was installed wrong?

I am also considering the possibility that the old clutch was 'stiffer' than it should have been. My X is the only manual tranny X I've driven.

Can anyone offer any insight?

#80076 - 16/11/04 09:47 AM Re: Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Just to share my "similmar" experiences...I have had quite a few Centerforce cluthces in performance cars over the years. Very high quality clutches. Your not being as "stiff"...?...? I find it hard to imagine it not being even stiffer than your original. The force "stiffness" of the pedal is a function of the spring rates within the clutch and this is what makes the clutch engage. Hence a performance car requires very stif springs to ensure the clutch plates don't slip under acceleration.

Your X will probably be fine since it is not a high horsepower/torque engine. Keep a close eye (foot) on and make sure there is no slipping under Wide Open Throttle applications. As long as it stays completely engaged during, it will last you a long time.

#80077 - 16/11/04 11:22 AM Re: Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
Zaskoda Offline

The truck slipped out of 3rd for me a little while ago... :-/

#80078 - 16/11/04 04:40 PM Re: Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I've driven sticks forever and although I've never had a Centerforce clutch, I've never felt any pedal difference when I've had any new clutch installed. If you're now slipping out of gear I would run, not walk, back to the shop that installed it and have them check it out.

#80079 - 16/11/04 05:01 PM Re: Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My Centerforce felt a little lighter in the pedal too, but it grabs harder. I atrtributed the change maybe a bit to the Centerforce design, but mostly just to things being new and working better. I noticed that clutch pedal effort from Xterra to Xterra varies widely anyway. Did you have the hydraulic system flushed out too? That might make a difference.

As far as slipping out of gear, I doubt that has anything to do with the clutch, and I'm not even sure how it could be related to having the clutch installed? Slipping out of gear is likely an internal problem in the transmission or perhaps a problem with the shift linkage.

#80080 - 16/11/04 07:18 PM Re: Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
Zaskoda Offline

I had a little more time tonight to do some test driving.

The clutch is lighter, but otherwise it feels great. It grabs rather nicely IMO. The 'lightness' of the pedal scared me at first, but I'm adjusting quickly.

Ever gear is solid except for 3rd which kicks out when pulsating the gas a bit... it doesn't take much. The tranmission has a 1 year warrenty on parts and labor, but it's a pain cause I gotta leave for Colorado next Wed.

BTW - thanks for the feedback.

#80081 - 16/11/04 09:37 PM Re: Centerforce Clutch Question (who has one?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a centerforce in one of my old cars, and I loved it. It had a higher holding capacity than stock, and it did have a lighter pedal feel.

However, if your tranny is slipping, it needs to go back. That is just not right.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal