Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86032 - 22/09/06 07:40 AM Yakima Ski Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Everyone, first post here, glad to be aboard. I am looking to get a yakima ski rack for the Xterra, but am a bit confused. Some websites indicate I need a "mightmount" adapter to fit the ski rack to the Xterra factory rack, but the Yakima website indicates no special adapter is needed..."MightyMounts are not required. FatCat4 #3067, FatCat6 #3068, PowderHound #3071, Big PowderHound #3072, FreshSesh #3069 install directly to factory rack"
So what is the deal? Has anyone had a problem mounting a ski rack such as this direct to the Xterra factory rack? The Xterra rails look far more robust than other SUV racks. Thanks!

#86033 - 26/09/06 05:40 PM Re: Yakima Ski Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't know for sure, but its always good measure to have a few mighty mounts available.

I have some for my bike rack.

You cal always use the mighty mounts for other things and they're like $15 bucks. It cannot hurt.

#86034 - 26/09/06 06:39 PM Re: Yakima Ski Rack
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
I have the big powderhound for my X

Unless you have a loadwarrior on top of the stcok roofrack, you will need Vertical Mightmounts..... $9.98 from Xterraparts.

You didn't say which one you wanted. The Nissan Ski/Snowboard carrier holds 4 pairs of skis/2 boards and is 113.05 (Xterraparts)
The Big Powderhound is sold out as of right now, but holds 6 skis/4 boards for $99

#86035 - 27/09/06 10:18 AM Re: Yakima Ski Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many thanks! A big help. I actually want to carry surf fishing rods with it, so Im flexible.

#86036 - 08/10/06 02:40 PM Re: Yakima Ski Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

You didn't say whether you had any existing Yakima rack parts (I think...). I adapted my Yakima rails and assorted carrying accessories using the Yakima LowRider Max + Claw 2 combo. This gets everything up on top, whereas Universal Mighty Mounts on the factory crossbars nests things down in a little. You might want to carry something that has to be higher to clear fwd-aft.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal