2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87868 - 03/02/05 04:46 PM Need New Alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

The wife went to get in the X today and it wouldn't start. We got it going after jump starting and so far it will turn over when we need it, but it is acting funny....like a hesitation. My first guess was the alternator.

To be sure we took it by the local AutoZone and they tested the battery and alternator. The battery came back fine, but they are saying the alternator is only at 20% when it should be at 80%. I've never heard of these percentage tests, but then again I don't alot of mechanic work either.

They quoted us $199 for an alternator!! Ouch!! That seems WAY expensive. I plan on calling around and getting prices, but anyone know of a good spot I can pick one up cheaper? Also, does this percentage thing make sense to anyone else?

#87869 - 04/02/05 08:10 AM Re: Need New Alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can get a higher-amp alternator from a wrecked Nissan Quest van (previous model, to 2003 I think) and install it. The older ones with the 3-liter engine have a 110 amp one that fits with a little modification, but the newer ones with the 3.3-liter engine have a 125 amp one that goes right in, though the pulley is a little larger and the belt just fits, but you can swap the pulley from your alternator onto it if you like. You will also need to swap out the main fuseable link under the hood for a higher-rated one, but that is cheap and easy to do.

Or just pay for a lifetime-warranty alternator from someplace, Napa or Autozone or such. I know someone that literally replaces his alternator at every oil change, just because he can, and hasn't gotten any flak over it.

#87870 - 04/02/05 09:59 AM Re: Need New Alternator
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Just from personal experience, I would stay away from the refurbished alternators from Autozone. I tried out two alternators from them last month. The first wouldn't send any charge out at all and the second one kept blowing out my alternator fuse.

#87871 - 04/02/05 06:24 PM Re: Need New Alternator
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I have the lifetime warranty Autozone alternator from a Quest (110 amp) and it kicks ass. You need to remove the oil filter to swap it out, so I tend to wait until its either making horrible noises, or we I do an oil change to swap it for a new one.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#87872 - 05/02/05 09:40 AM Re: Need New Alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
I have the lifetime warranty Autozone alternator from a Quest (110 amp) and it kicks ass. You need to remove the oil filter to swap it out, so I tend to wait until its either making horrible noises, or we I do an oil change to swap it for a new one.
Are you saying it starts acting up every 3k miles and you need to change it? Or just that when it starts making a funny noise you wait until the nearest oil change? What is the estimated duration between alternator changes?

Just FYI, doing some research on AutoZone, here is what I found for the previous Quest models:

02 Quest 3.3V6 80amp $199.99
01 Quest 3.3V6 125amp $219.99
00 Quest 3.3V6 125amp $219.99
99 Quest 3.3V6 125amp $219.99
98 Quest 3.0V6 110amp $179.99 (reg) or $192.44 (gold)

No real savings if I buy a brand new unit. But I have a few more choices at the salvage yard, which is probably the way I will go to maximize my savings. Just out of curiousity, how much did you pay for your used unit Xterrible? Any online salvages?

Next questions: Any online manuals showing how to change this unit? Last time I messed with an alternator was back when I was 16 on my old Nissan Sentra. It was on top then, and I understand the ones on the X are on the bottom. In case I have to pull the alternator for the Quest at a salvage yard, is it on top or bottom?

Thanks so much for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

#87873 - 05/02/05 11:00 AM Re: Need New Alternator
loopit Offline

Loc: Annapolis, MD
I had to replace my alternator about two years ago. I ended up buying one that was pulled from a totaled 2000 Xterra for $50! I haven't had any problems with it since I put it in (knock on wood). Here's the link to the website I bought it from (it was a junkyard from here in NC):

http://car-part.com/

#87874 - 05/02/05 11:13 AM Re: Need New Alternator
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I play in the mud ALOT and I have two spare stock alternators (in case I need to swap on the side of a trail) just to get home. I went the whole junkyard route and $50 here and there with no guarantee flat out sucks after a while. I found that junkyard (non-rebuilt) alternators are good as spares , but I personaly dont rely on them.
I change my alternator every two or three oil changes or so, just because I can, and to play it safe with all of the ud and crap caked in it.
Some time it acutally makes a whining noise, other times it starts getting difficult to turn.
I never had a problem with it not charging properly or any lights in the dash. (I'm only refering to the AutoZone alternator,I had a stock one die on the trail, it wasnt fun with no spares.)
I think I spent $179.99 for mine and it has a lifetime warranty .

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#87875 - 08/02/05 11:27 AM Re: Need New Alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the link loopit. I searched some local salvages with no luck, and then finally found one in OKC via that website. Turns out they only wanted $35 for it, plus a $10 core charge. Since I'm in Tulsa, I ate the $10 core charge and for another $10 they shipped it to me. I should see it in the next day or two. My total cost was $58 after taxes.

Not bad in my opinion. Plus they guarantee it to work. For the price paid and the guarantee it was too sweet to pass up.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal