2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88725 - 31/01/01 07:30 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
I just installed my Xenon HID lights
(80/100W) yesterday afternoon. When
I turned them on, they had a definate
bluish-tint to them. I drove it to
my brother-in-laws house so he can
look at them (he's an LAPD officer) and to
see what he would say. He told me to
take them off immediately. He said
that I would DEFINATELY get a ticket
for my headlights. Hence, I took them off
last night and put back the factory bulbs.
He continued saying that only certain
luxury cars are allowed to have them;
ie... Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Caddies...
Other vehicles will get tagged for tickets!
Oh well... The search continues for
brighter lights without the color tints...

------------------
Xterra "Horny Green"
2001 SE 4x2

#88726 - 31/01/01 07:44 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
TimR Offline

Loc: Forest Lake, MN
...certain luxury cars...

Umm, no. The reason some cars are "allowed" to run HID systems, is because they are HID systems - not bulbs that emulate the look of an HID system. Your xenon HID bulbs are NOT the same thing as a true HID system. Do a little searching to find what a true HID system is.

The reason you might get ticketed is because a) you have more than the 45/65 watt bulb.
b) you have a cheap bulb with a blue filter. Most states have laws that state you can't run anything that blocks some of the light. Most of the cheap blue bulbs do that.

TimR

------------------

#88727 - 31/01/01 04:55 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I was driving to work a couple mornings ago (4:30am, so it's quite dark still) and I saw the outright bluest headlight beams ever coming up behind me. These things were bright as all heck, too. As it passed, I tried to see exactly what make it was, but it zoomed by a bit too fast. It was a 2-seat sportscar and must've been new because it had no plates and didn't look like anything I'd seen before. At first, I thought it was a Miata, but due to the headlights I discarded that idea figuring it had to be European with those HID's, so I >think< it might've been a Porsche. Definitely wasn't a Mercedes or Jag or BMW. Judging by the lighting pattern, the beams were pointed quite low, but they spread WAY out to the sides.

------------------
Jeff Chung
I am not the real Kirby Puckett.
Learn it. Know it. Live it.

#88728 - 31/01/01 05:03 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
KillerX Offline

Loc: Maryland
The Honda S2000 now has the HID option. It could have been a S2000.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice SE 4X4 Auto

also known as 2xterras on Edmunds Bulletin Board
Pictures of my X: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1406935&a=10805120

#88729 - 31/01/01 08:50 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I'll be... Killerx, you're right. That would explain why I hadn't seen it before. I went to the Honda site and looked at one and I'm sure that was it. The layout of the lights on the back are the confirmation. Good call!

------------------
Jeff
http://u1.netgate.net/~kirby34
"Hey, Regis, I got your final answer right here, pal."

#88730 - 21/02/01 05:15 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Any updates on the 100/80 Xenon lights?? Waiting to see the long term effect.

------------------
Allen Powell
Gator Saver
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#88731 - 21/02/01 05:56 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
Kafka213 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Are the stock bulbs that bad? I don't know, since I don't have my X yet, but it seems that everyone replaces their bulbs. Are they just Sh** or what?

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#88732 - 21/02/01 07:02 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
KillerX Offline

Whoa! You must be the second Phreak! Boarder racked up hundreds of posts before he bought his X and you're well on your way.

TimR, those high wattage halogens still doing ok? I might switch with the Hella bulbs you have in the near future (I think you have Hellas, right?).

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1406935&a=10805120

#88733 - 22/02/01 07:55 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
TimR Offline

I have Hella 500's on the front bumper, and some generic 80/100 halogen bulbs in the headlights. You can find the generic bulbs here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=5229

I have still had no problems with the higher wattage bulbs. Note, these are not the "blue look, euro-look, laser blue, xenon-blue, super-white"... etc bulbs.

TimR

------------------

#88734 - 22/02/01 11:57 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
NuG050 Offline

Loc: Hercules, Cali, US
I'm all curious as to what would be better. There are several items on eBay, as well as on the open market, that sells higher wattage bulbs and I'm wondering which ones would achieve the closest HID-appearance? Actually, let me rephrase that, which brand/bulb would allow my X to achieve the brightness the HID's provide? I want to get the higher wattage bulbs, preferrably in the 100w range. I do not really care for the bluish tint but if it's included, I wouldn't complain. I had a set of the PIAA Super Whites on my Integra (9006/9005) before and I didn't notice much difference with them over stock. I don't mind spending money on a set of bulbs but I don't want to spend it if it isn't going to make a difference...any hints?

And the stupid manual says 9007...stupid manual...9004 is more like it...oh, one more thing...I would like to have brighter lights for my fog's, too...heh...

"If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
"Viewing Through My v80..." - feudalRO Closed-Beta
Civic Performance Page - Civic Performance Page Forums

#88735 - 22/02/01 12:33 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
KillerX Offline

TimR,

I thought you bought Hella bulbs from the following link:
http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

Maybe it was someone else...

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1406935&a=10805120

#88736 - 22/02/01 12:47 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
TimR Offline

Must have been someone else. They don't have a Hella Xenon bulb listed, what they do have sounds very similar to what I purchased, only with the Hella name (and less expensive). If I had known about these bulbs before, I would have purchased them.

If you click the link to Hella's "technical" explanation of xenon bulbs, they note that the xenon blend allows the filament to "burn" hotter. AFAIK, everyone who has had problems had the xenon blue, or blue type bulbs. This could be a contributing factor.

TimR

------------------

#88737 - 22/02/01 05:19 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
BX Tale Offline

Loc: The Bronx
OK I hope I can help all you guys out. Those Xenon bulbs that people are pushing on Ebay and all those other places ARE GARBAGE. If you run higher than normal wattage (especially those BULL Crap one) you MIGHT burn (melt) your bulb socket or worst burn your headlamp. Cause these run alot hotter than normal. If you want to run Xenon bulbs I recomend you guys use PIAAs or Hellas(these are up to par with PIAAs at half the cost) If you run the higher than normal wattage you are running hotter bulbs= means you will be replacing them a little more often. That is why I recomend Hellas. I have tried them all till I got wised. At first I had those Xenon (no name one) that cost about $25(H4) for a pair, those melted my Honda wireharness socket. And they burnt my fog light(H3) lens (the mirror). So I went with PIAAs those ran me about $65 pr but I had to replace them every 5-6 months because they burn out. No I run Hellas for haft the cost. Nowadays I swear by Hella products. I can get to guys the Xenon garbage ones for $15 a pr from Chinatown if you want straight from the wholesalers or you can go get them yourself. If you guys are interest in the Hellas check out this site. I had a good order experiance with them (nice rally guys)Very good people http://catalog.com/susq/ I just hate people trying to rip others off. Also a note they have after market HID ballast for your conversion but they run about $450 a pair BUT YOU LOST THE HIGH BEAMS.

------------------

#88738 - 22/02/01 05:36 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
BX Tale Offline

Again blue tint coming from you headlamp or fog lights ARE ILLEGAL for strret use. Real HIDS ar white not blue, They have a slite blue(very little) to them. REAL HIDs run cooler, that is why they are only 35w but put out a lot higher beam power. Plus they lose there high beam. Don't get ripped of from these people selling these bulbs. They go fro about $15 a pair from a wholsaler in Chinatown. These are garbage. Go with Piaa or Hella, or the higher name brands one from Japan like raybrigg.

------------------

#88739 - 23/02/01 11:18 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
NuG050 Offline

BX Tale: How about the higher wattage bulbs from JC Whitney? They're the standard halogens, non-super-duper-bright-blue-white-hid stuff...just standard high powered halogens?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=5229 (link from someone that posted here)

They do run at about 80W for low-beams? I'm guessing from what you're saying, they will blow out faster since they're higher wattage, right? Cuz I don't wanna keep buying bulbs every three to four months...

Another thing is that I saw the PIAA ones that state something like 45/65 = 85/110 ?!?! What does that mean?! Does it mean it still draws the same power as the stock do and give off higher wattage?! Oh boy...this shnapps is confusing...

------------------
"Key Pure Ice Under Owed..."

[This message has been edited by nug050 (edited 02-23-2001).]

#88740 - 23/02/01 12:07 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
TimR Offline

In general, a higher wattage bulb will not last as long as a lower wattage. 3 to 4 months, whilst a 45/65 can go for years? That is a bit of a stretch. I have 3 months in on mine so far, I expect them to last a couple years. This is what I have found in the past when using higher wattage standard halogen bulbs. In fact I have never had a higher wattage lamp burn out on me.

If you are considering the bulbs from JCW, why not get the Hella bulbs also listed above. Same output, but you get a brand name behind it for less money. I have the JCW bulbs, and would have bought the Hella's if I was aware of them at the time.

Next, PIAA's 45/65 = 85/115 (or whatever) is BS, IMO. Some people like the color difference of the light output, I don't care - I want more lumens. I've seen the PIAA superwhites in another X, and you can see that the bulbs have a light blue coating on them. This can only _decrease_ the amount of light. I have yet to see any technical explanation of why your eye would be more efficient utilizing a restricted set of wavelengths. But, again, some people like them.

TimR

------------------

#88741 - 26/02/01 06:35 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
BX Tale Offline

Yes I agree with TimR. Why not get the Hella for the same price as the no name one. Much better quality. And the first set of numbers is the curent draw= and the second sets of numbers equals to what the output compares to. Also if you run these superwhite or HIDs or what ever that is superwhite, try to have yellow fog lights if you live in a foggy area. The super white sucks in the fog. Hella makes these bulbs call yellow star. What they are is bulbs in yellow. These are perfect for the X factory foglight. Good like. Check out the link that I previously posted to check out prices on Hella stuff.

------------------

#88742 - 27/02/01 06:30 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
NuG050 Offline

Thanks guys...I think I'll go with the Hella's...I have one more "stupid" question...since I don't really care for the supadupamagnaplasmawhite bulbs, I'm guessing I'm gonna be wanting to purchase the "Standard Halogen" bulbs and not the "Hella HIP" bulbs, right? Here's the link: http://www.rallylights.com/bulbs.htm. Also, what is the typical lifespan of either of these bulbs? I don't want to have to get bulbs every 3-4 months...note: I run my lights everytime I start my car...

Also, I was considering getting yellow fogs since two mornings when I went to work, it was raining like heck and windy as heck and me having both my headlights and fogs on didn't actually help it...all I was able to see was the rain clearer...and then I started to remember that yellow cuts through that crap better...but now, the rain has gone and it's not as bad. Now, since I run my headlights and fog lights whenever I start my X, I'm wondering if it would be advisable to get higher wattages on my fogs as well?

------------------

#88743 - 27/02/01 07:04 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
BX Tale Offline

I would go with the Hella yellow star for the factory fog lights. I also think they might come in 70 watt fog light bulbd those will be cool. They are slight more power but not too high to hurt. And I take it that you run your light for safety, like day time running lights. That is what I do also. The yellow star will definately stand out night or day. But if you sit in traffic it is wise to turn your lights off. This goes for those long stand stills. These lights need air to keep them cool. Also I always like to purchase xtra bulbs for replacement, and save shipping and handling if one happens to go out. And keep the xtra in the car in a box.

------------------

#88744 - 27/02/01 01:05 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
NuG050 Offline

Yeah, I do run my lights for safety but I guess also for looks...heh...ohkay...so, here's what I'm gonna do...I've debated with my friends about this and at least for now, it looks like here's my scoop:

Hella Halogen 9004 100/80W - Headlights
Hella Halogen H3 55w - Fog Lights

What about Hella's HIP Bulbs? Gimmic or good? I don't want something that'll burn out the next month or so...need something for the long-term, too...

Would the 80W be too bright? Should I get higher wattage for my fogs? I don't want to blind anyone...I have a lowered Integra and I know how that gets...heh...

------------------

#88745 - 27/02/01 02:50 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
ChimChim Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
IMHO, the stock bulbs are a little on the dim side and the beam pattern isn't all that good. I tried out the PIAA Superwhites. The light seemed better but the beam pattern seemed a little worse than the stock bulbs. They do have a whitish glow to them. Next, I tried the JC Whitney 55/100 blubs. Light output seemed stronger but the beam pattern seemed about the same as stock. I had them in my X for about 3 months and I was getting a little concerned about melting my connectors so I bought some Sylvania Xtravision 9004 45/65 bulbs from Kragen. Sylvania says that they are "30% brighter than ordinary halogen bulbs". I don't know if that's true or not. The bulbs seem a little brighter than stock and the beam pattern seems better than stock. I dunno, I'll just stick with the Sylvanias for now. I've heard good things about the Hella Optilux bulbs. However, I've also heard that they also have a high failure rate, I think they blow out in about 4-6 months. What's the best bulb out there? I think the jury is still out on that one.

------------------
2000 SE 4x4 5sp Alpine Green

#88746 - 28/02/01 10:57 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
NuG050 Offline

I was looking at the Sylvania bulbs but since it said stock wattage, I didn't really make a thought...I guess I just want it brighter without changing the tint of the bulb...extra wattage is always good for those early or late night drives...I'll have to drop by Kragen or Pep Boys to see what's available...but then again, mail order seems okay, too...

------------------

#88747 - 28/02/01 03:51 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
I been running all Hella made lighted on my X for over a year and I'm very please with the performance so far, the pricing can't be beat compared to the competitors, and the bulbs & lights are still going strong:

Hella Optilux Xenon white bulbs 9004 65/45 watts for the headlights
Hella Optilux Model 1250 Blue Ion Fog lights, 55watt standard halogen H3 bulbs
Hella 500 off-road/driving lights (street legal in CA) on the front bumper, 55watt standard halogen H3 bulbs. Can be upgrade to 100watt bulbs but they are plenty bright as is.

#88748 - 28/02/01 05:28 PM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
NuG050 Offline

X: Where can I buy the Hella Optilux bulbs? You stated 65/45...does that mean it drains 45w (like stock) and puts out 65w? I'm thinking of getting the Hella Standard Halogen replacement 9004 100/80 and getting the H3 55w...sound good?

------------------

#88749 - 02/06/01 10:25 AM Re: Xenon HID bulbs?
BX Tale Offline

Please read this post all those new to XOC. Don't burn out your sockets

------------------

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal